U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:09 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,884,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
Sorry I do not understand the self licking ice cream cone reference. I have a feeling it was not positive! My husband was active duty army for 12 years and was in the first gulf war. He was proud of his active duty and so am I. I am also equally proud of his service as a civilian for the governement.
Wasn't trying to question your family's motives for military membership, past or present. Was merely suggesting the irony of asking the relative safety of a "war zone" laden with more support personnel (such as your spouse) than trigger pullers, as evidence of the location's very self-created demand. That's what self-licking ice cream cone and Baskin Robins references mean btw, in case you encounter the term in the future. Not a jab at your spouse's role in any of it, just highlighting the irony.

And before you get all upset and personally fronted. Im in the Service as well on EAD orders currently, so I'm not chucking stones from outside the wire. All the luck and safety to your loved ones in enduring their tenure at that place. Tailwinds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 03:37 PM

2,736 posts, read 3,173,562 times
Sorry for any misunderstanding...and thank you for the explaination.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:32 PM

519 posts, read 1,825,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I understand you think it's frequent and you're scared. It *might* be every couple of months at Kandahar. It's certainly less at Bagram as recently as 2009, and the statistical chance of that occasional attack zeroing in on someone in the middle of the base is pretty low. The other FOBs, especially the smaller ones, do get significantly more, but the OP was asking about Bagram, and I reiterate: safe. I'd rather be there than in several American cities.

Generally I just ignored the sirens, as more times than not it was birds setting off the early warning system. I think your daughter's boyfriend might be overexaggerating the danger at Bagram more than a little. Maybe I got a significantly lower rate during my time at both bases (several trips to each adding up to a few months): someone who was also there may want to chime in.
Well, my husband and all three kids are currently active duty, so we have plenty of friends over there right now. Whether the sirens go off a little or a lot, to say that it is no more dangerous over there than it is here at home is ludicrous. With that being said, I would much rather have my love ones at Bagram or KAF when they're over there than any of the other FOBs/COBs etc!

Old 01-21-2012, 08:39 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,396,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
Well, my husband and all three kids are currently active duty, so we have plenty of friends over there right now. Whether the sirens go off a little or a lot, to say that it is no more dangerous over there than it is here at home is ludicrous. With that being said, I would much rather have my love ones at Bagram or KAF when they're over there than any of the other FOBs/COBs etc!
Look, flat out: we have to agree to disagree. There is more crime and bad stuff happening in Columbia, where you live, per capita than in Bagram. Period. No matter what your friends tell you.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Columb...-Carolina.html

and search on 'crime'

Old 01-29-2012, 10:09 AM

2,736 posts, read 3,173,562 times
Well, its been 10 days since my first post here, and thank you to all who commented. My husband has been able to skype once a week and he is doing well, safety has not been a concern I am happy to say.

Thank you all, active duty, retired and families. You truly are those that make this nation great and allow for our future! Take care and God Bless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues