Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:14 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
That is something parents don't consider when they let the school shrinks convince them their kids need medication.

I saw an article recently talking about the numbers of kids they are giving these medications to and it was unbelievable. Teachers can't handle the kids anymore so they sedate them. Pitiful world.

This is a failure of or educational system. Back when I was in school they handled kids that wouldn't behave without drugs.
Companies make money when kids are on drugs so it makes sense that there are people out there trying to keep it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_double_d View Post
I've known of people with depression and other similiar issues that got in by failing to disclose their (past) condition and it ended up putting others in danger when those people got into actual combat and couldn't handle it.
That's exactly why I wouldn't personally want to put weapons in the hands of people with mental disorders that could lead to serious problems including homicide and suicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 01:51 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post

That's exactly why I wouldn't personally want to put weapons in the hands of people with mental disorders that could lead to serious problems including homicide and suicide.

LOL Does that include folks on their 2nd or 3rd or 4th tours in the sand box? Nobody comes back from a combat deployment entirely normal, you know.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:14 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
If the draft was ever reinstated that 75% would drop to maybe 40%. In boot camp they can be built up to be fit & alert (not all but most). As far as the govt cares we are all expendable.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:25 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
"We are deeply concerned by alarming data from the Department of Defense indicating that 75 percent of all young Americans between the ages of 17 and 24 are unable to join the military because they are physically unfit, lack proper education, or have criminal records. A shrinking pool of eligible recruits is a threat to our national security, and we are troubled by the impact that this will have on our future military preparedness." Retired Generals and Admirals Tell Congress: Just Say No To Pizza as a Vegetable in School Lunches « Mission: Readiness

Interesting information....
I continually see reasons why it hasn't been good that our society has left the working-class behind over the past 30-40 years. Here is yet another reason. I tend to think lack of economic prosperity is the root of most of the problems.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:41 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Companies make money when kids are on drugs so it makes sense that there are people out there trying to keep it that way.

Once they are off meds and into a structured environment most will contract normalcy

Old 01-23-2012, 03:16 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Dad always told me that when he went into bootcamp in 1959 everybody looked different...but when they came out they all looked the same. He was a skinny guy like me and he put on 30 lbs. Guys that were overweight got pared down.

Maybe the military should losen the requirement on some of the chubby kids to get them in the door. If they can't make it through boot camp the first time just let them do it all over again until they whip them into shape. Would probably work good for attitude adjustments too. For the guys with criminal records they could go through a special extended period boot camp.

Really though....all I read about lately is how the ranks are getting trimmed and how requirements to get in are getting tougher. Read somewhere that they are looking for any reason possible to early discharge guys to get the numbers down.

So all this talk about how the % of qualified kids is getting smaller....well....isn't that what they want right now?

Old 01-23-2012, 05:18 PM

19 posts, read 48,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
But if we needed to mobilize 2 million men we can't with a military the size we have now.
I disagree, with the military reserves and the national guard, in a time of crisis, the president can issue a presidential decree mobilizing these forces to active duty and you have your 2 million man army, but with technology being as it is, and the quality of people being recruited into the armed forces, you don't need a massive military like we used to a half century ago. you can do a lot more with a lot less with airpower, seapower, and surgical precision of land forces and special ops forces. And the quality of kids today might seem lazy or for a lack of better words "dumb" however, they are technically savvy which makes them a formidable force for the working man's military of generations ago. Just my opinion though.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:34 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
I've never been in the service, but isn't it a good thing, in a way, it is hard to get in? Do you really want it to be something just anybody can sign up for and be accepted?

Old 01-23-2012, 05:35 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Maybe the military should losen the requirement on some of the chubby kids to get them in the door. If they can't make it through boot camp the first time just let them do it all over again until they whip them into shape. Would probably work good for attitude adjustments too. For the guys with criminal records they could go through a special extended period boot camp.
Why? Why waste the taxpayers money? If you are fat, (and I have been), why should the military waste the time and money? If you have a bad attitude why poison the good troops with your attitude. The military is not a health spa and we currently have some well educated, healthy people with a positive attitude who want to come in...

If they need more people, then loosen the requirements...

Rich

Old 01-23-2012, 09:58 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stavidlin View Post
I disagree, with the military reserves and the national guard, in a time of crisis, the president can issue a presidential decree mobilizing these forces to active duty and you have your 2 million man army, but with technology being as it is, and the quality of people being recruited into the armed forces, you don't need a massive military like we used to a half century ago. you can do a lot more with a lot less with airpower, seapower, and surgical precision of land forces and special ops forces. And the quality of kids today might seem lazy or for a lack of better words "dumb" however, they are technically savvy which makes them a formidable force for the working man's military of generations ago. Just my opinion though.
Techology as a force multiplier. The days of the big army are over. "Surgical precision." We've been hearing that song and dance for years now.

So...how did that work out in Iraq or Afghanistan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues