U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:26 PM

2,617 posts, read 1,988,237 times

Advertisements

Of course I'm proud. I was an active member of our military that stopped the Commie tide from taking over South Vietnam......Ok, that didn't work out the way they told us it would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 06:58 PM

3,266 posts, read 4,774,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
Of course I'm proud. I was an active member of our military that stopped the Commie tide from taking over South Vietnam......Ok, that didn't work out the way they told us it would.
Yea, you guys kinda let the rest of us down on that one

For me it was a fun almost four years but the fact that 80 hour work weeks combined with 3/4 section duty during that time kinda sucked about 1/2 the fun out of it....

Looking back I miss the people.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:02 PM

443 posts, read 743,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Absoutley!! I loved the entire time in, and especially the last 15... (CH-47 BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

1988 - 2009...

Would I recommend it now, not really, with all the political correctness that goes on and the EXTREME back stabbing....

I do not disrespect anyone that could or could not have served....people are different.
Grats on the retirement - hope you're enjoying it

Thanks to all in here for their service

Old 01-22-2012, 08:04 PM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I'm proud of my time in the Army, but not altogether proud of the things I had to do during those nearly 15 years.

How about you? Proud of your service and/or what you had to do? Would you recommend it to others?

How do you feel about those who did not serve when they could have?
I can't say I'm "proud" of my service but I enlisted so I'm not going to complain. The last year of my time was a nightmare that I still have dreams about. Those faces will live with me forever.........

Old 01-22-2012, 09:24 PM

5,162 posts, read 10,472,822 times
Proud Yes !
Happy, No !

Old 01-22-2012, 10:08 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,468,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
lmao Imagine my surprise, as well, after my tour there did not bring home the bacon! ...

No, not "proud" ... but not ashamed, either.
I am not religious, but I definitely subscribe to the concept of the "Seven Deadly Sins"
-- of which "Pride" is considered the first.

I take no credit for originating my actions ... it is a mystery to me how the universe turns, including how I decided to enlist and volunteer for the duty I served. As an afterthought -- hindsight -- if I had my youth back and needed a career, I'd do it again (but different branch and different duty). I believe I'd go Coast Guard and do something to save lives and ensure safety -- rather than blow the living sh*t out of everything in sight.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:44 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,540,526 times
Yes, no question about it. I think most people are proud!

Old 01-23-2012, 06:18 PM

311 posts, read 355,758 times
I'm going to add my 2 cents, for what it's worth. My husband retired from the Air Force a year ago. I was lucky enough to be w/him during his tours of duty. As a wife I was very proud and still am of his service and that I was a part of it. My heart goes out to those wives that may not say the same because their husbands never came home.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:46 AM

24 posts, read 20,258 times
I think every person in this service is proud of their service and must be for they do a great job.

Thanks,

<a href="http://www.calmu.edu/">Online MBA Programs</a>

Last edited by hopeforgood; 01-24-2012 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: missed out

Old 01-24-2012, 05:13 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,989,171 times
Before I address the subject of pride let me address that of gratitude. I went in the army at age 18 because I screwed up my first year at a junior college so my father insisted I wasn't ready for college yet and suggested strongly, that I go into service. It changed my whole life. Thanks to those NCOs and the cadre that trained me I learned first, the meaning of freedom. As you all well know when you go into the military you go into an authoritarian dictatorship and you get reminded of that daily during your first weeks in basic. I learned discipline which I was greatly lacking in. I learned the meaning of responsibility as well as that of respect. I learned about honor and friendship and the value many things I took for granted before I went in the service. I need to thank also my commanders and the friends I made after deployment. I learned a lot of lessons that still are a part of me today 50 years later. I see now that you can't buy an education like that for any amount of money.

Of course we are all proud of our service even if sometimes we doubted the purpose. But what did we know. We were kids who had to grow up fast and that was good for us. Other things weren't so good but you learned to take the bad with the good and you were a better person for it.

Sometimes a young person will tell me, "I am proud to be an American." I always ask one thing "What have you done for your country that makes you proud?" It's something more than just pride. I am lucky to be an American I could have been born in some terrible place where I wouldn't have had the chances in life I have in my own country. My time in the service was a small price to pay for that.

OK I am an old man and not much of a writer and I am sorry if I sounded corny but I at least got the chance here to say this. So more than express my pride I am happy to express my gratitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues