U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:25 PM

11,987 posts, read 10,687,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Before I address the subject of pride let me address that of gratitude. I went in the army at age 18 because I screwed up my first year at a junior college so my father insisted I wasn't ready for college yet and suggested strongly, that I go into service. It changed my whole life. Thanks to those NCOs and the cadre that trained me I learned first, the meaning of freedom. As you all well know when you go into the military you go into an authoritarian dictatorship and you get reminded of that daily during your first weeks in basic. I learned discipline which I was greatly lacking in. I learned the meaning of responsibility as well as that of respect. I learned about honor and friendship and the value many things I took for granted before I went in the service. I need to thank also my commanders and the friends I made after deployment. I learned a lot of lessons that still are a part of me today 50 years later. I see now that you can't buy an education like that for any amount of money.

Of course we are all proud of our service even if sometimes we doubted the purpose. But what did we know. We were kids who had to grow up fast and that was good for us. Other things weren't so good but you learned to take the bad with the good and you were a better person for it.

Sometimes a young person will tell me, "I am proud to be an American." I always ask one thing "What have you done for your country that makes you proud?" It's something more than just pride. I am lucky to be an American I could have been born in some terrible place where I wouldn't have had the chances in life I have in my own country. My time in the service was a small price to pay for that.

OK I am an old man and not much of a writer and I am sorry if I sounded corny but I at least got the chance here to say this. So more than express my pride I am happy to express my gratitude.
I wish more people sounded corny, Tom. The truth is this is a great nation, and it would do us all some good to spend some time every day reflecting on how blessed we are to be a part of it and asking ourselves what we can do to make it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 02:50 PM

930 posts, read 1,577,136 times
why wouldn't I be?

Old 01-25-2012, 03:31 PM

11,781 posts, read 15,805,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
How about you? Proud of your service and/or what you had to do? Would you recommend it to others?
That was many years ago but I had very interesting jobs as an AF crew chief on F-100s and F111s. For that experience I am very proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
How do you feel about those who did not serve when they could have?
As long as my decision to join the military is okay by them, I am okay with their decision to not join.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:41 PM

519 posts, read 1,556,247 times
YEs, I miss and love the Marine Corps. A true band of brothers, no non-sense group of guys focused on the mission. I wish I could've stayed in...

Old 01-30-2012, 11:59 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,475,641 times
I am proud of my service but was glad when I left. I joined to get my life straightened out which worked out well for me.

Pride doesn't come easily for me, though, so I usually underplay anything I did (which according to my awards was a lot).

I'd recommend the services to anyone and am always glad to share my experiences when anyone asks.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 PM

931 posts, read 1,745,034 times
Drafted in 1968 served 2 years and went home. Proud of my service.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:29 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,642,338 times
I am proud to have been able to serve. I grew up in ways I never would have had I not been in the service. But I think the ones who made the real sacrifice are those family members who supported us. To all of those who wrote letters, sent care packages, and held down the home front, THANK YOU

Old 03-27-2012, 11:33 AM

986 posts, read 1,134,603 times
Default I too am proud of my military service!

I joined the Air Force in 1967 to avoid being drafted, but it all worked out because I spent 12 yrs on active duty as an aircraft mechanic mostly overseas and 18 yrs with Civil Service and with the USAFR in California doing the same work! In 1997 at age 49 I took a voluntary early retirement when it was offered to me during the Clinton administration due to the base closures and draw down of manpower and in 1998 we moved to the Philippines due to the low cost of living there and it's our birth place and heritage. Going on 13 yrs now and we're still here, probably for good, but we do vacation in California once every 2 to 3 yrs!

Old 03-27-2012, 04:31 PM

5,106 posts, read 6,068,318 times
proud and honored to have served. don't quite get the second part of your question. didn't always like the duties assigned, but that isn't the same as being negative or shamed by them.

I HATED everything to do with COMSEC. I hated maintaining it , using it, inventorying it, and repairing it. Change one part of it and you got a new NSN and there goes your property book :0

Old 03-27-2012, 07:51 PM

499 posts, read 1,805,578 times
I'm very proud of my service-- 5 years in the National Guard while I was in high school and college and 19 years (and counting) of active duty service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues