Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:09 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I feel naked without one, another of lifes little traumas
I know exactly what you mean. My last POV sticker is fading away......

Rich

Old 01-24-2012, 06:14 PM

10 posts, read 14,625 times
This is news to me! I definitely still need mine in order to get into the the naval shipyard where I work, but then again we just recently started using DoD badges to get in as well (instead of our antiquated work badges). It's common knowledge around here that the shipyard lags behind how people are allowed in.
When I'm on base (Navy) I still believe the sticker is checked, however I think all that the guards care about is whether a salute is necessary. I could be wrong though, just what I've noticed. And of course the DoD id is necessary still.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:14 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
On Marine bases they still issue decals and they don't do 100% ID checks except after 2200 and random times and when the FPCON dictates. Maybe it's just AF and Army.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:50 AM

541 posts, read 2,138,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
There are no more decals on Fort Bragg either. They stopped giving those about 1.5 years ago even though I still have mine. I think as long as you have a DOD ID you are good.
That's good to know! They recently stopped issuing them here at Ft Jackson, and our daughter is at Bragg, so I was worried about having to get a pass to visit her once my stickers expire!.

JMHO, but they need to be more consistant across the board and either require them or not for all bases/posts. We travel a lot and since out post no longer requires them, it will be quite a hassle to have to stop and get a pass every time we visit another post that still requires them.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:53 AM

541 posts, read 2,138,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
On Marine bases they still issue decals and they don't do 100% ID checks except after 2200 and random times and when the FPCON dictates. Maybe it's just AF and Army.
Nope - I frequently visit my son at Camp Pendleton and always have a rental car so no stickers. They never even stop me to check the rental agreement. I hold my Military ID card up and they waive me through, without fail. Makes no sense to me, but that lax security is likely why they've had several armed robberies on base the past few years.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:53 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
It makes fiscal sense to do away with the stickers DoD wide. But I'll sure miss the easy way to recognize another brother or sister in arms...sigh.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:48 PM

934 posts, read 1,938,368 times
This is not Army-wide. I had to go just last week to renew my decal. I knew about the Redstone situation and asked here why they still issued decals, and was told its a post-by-post decision.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
Nope - I frequently visit my son at Camp Pendleton and always have a rental car so no stickers. They never even stop me to check the rental agreement. I hold my Military ID card up and they waive me through, without fail. Makes no sense to me, but that lax security is likely why they've had several armed robberies on base the past few years.

Must be East Coast/West Coast thing. I'mout East and all the bases under MCIEAST require a base decal or visitor's pass.

MCB Camp Lejeune - Vehicle Registration

Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
That's good to know! They recently stopped issuing them here at Ft Jackson, and our daughter is at Bragg, so I was worried about having to get a pass to visit her once my stickers expire!.

JMHO, but they need to be more consistant across the board and either require them or not for all bases/posts. We travel a lot and since out post no longer requires them, it will be quite a hassle to have to stop and get a pass every time we visit another post that still requires them.

I ran into this at Fort Lee. I was stationed in a USAF town that didn't require decals. When traveling north on I-95, I usually top off at Ft Lee, off of 295. The gas station is by the back gate, and if not for the kindness of the MP, I almost had to drive all the way around to the front of the base to get a pass to go back to the other gate.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:21 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
No more stickers on Air Force installations. Makes sense since there is and probably always will be a 100% ID check of all drivers. I miss the days of being waved on with only a sticker in the window, but those days are over and it makes sense from a security issue.
It's always been an OPSEC issue. Want to target military personnel? just look on a car's windshield. Want to target senior leaders (generals, E-10s)? Just look for that rank sticker. The only reason why it lasted so long was because it was someone's program and in the DoD, shutting anything down requires at least two decades and an act of Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues