U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 04:54 PM

5,713 posts, read 12,826,638 times

Advertisements

It is my understanding they eliminated the car stickers for all bases. Military ID is sufficient for entrance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 10:06 PM

432 posts, read 767,218 times
While I miss base stickers, and just slowing down to go through the gate those days are long over. Thats fine I've adjusted... But the one thing that really pisses me off is DOD is not all on the same page.

The Air Force a few years ago decided to stop doing the decal thing. That's fine mine didn't expire till 2009, so just kept it on till then. While on road trips or going somewhere if there is a base close by I like to check it out. If it's Air Force I'm golden, just show my CAC simple as that. Army, Navy, Marines my Air Force CAC is no good and since I dont have a decal anymore I have to go through the trouble of getting a visitors pass.. Every branch seriously needs to get on the same page. Especially during the current times of Joint Bases. Here in Charleston I can't even get on the Navy Base without a pass... Had to run over there for work awhile back, Even in Uniform with my CAC they wouldnt let me on. We are Joint Base Charleston " The Navy and Air Force" and we can't even be on the same page when it comes to something like base access?

Ellwood that's not the case at all. Air Force yes, the others not so much

Old 01-28-2012, 05:10 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,825,352 times
I worked many years checking those stinkers...a lot of fun...NOT! The reason behind the change is that it identifies you as DoD. Even more, the color scheme was really really easy to figure out. To make matters worse, personnel had to add rank to the stickers which further identified the driver thus helping terrorists, its same as adding a flag to your POV, waving "hello, I am the base commander and I am going to mall."

One more positive. In case your not aware, those military spouse's were real ------ when it came to getting their salute. They honestly thought they deserved a salute. The obviously solution is to ID them which of course revealed that its Jane Smith, wife of Col Smith. We honestly wasted time explaining that we don't salute wives or cars, very frustrating.

It worked in the 70s-90s, but not in today's environment. All of the above were counterproductive to keeping a low profile. I agree 100% with the move.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:24 AM

23,011 posts, read 31,972,945 times
In 2010, I got a sticker for my car at Ft. Knox. A month ago, my mom bought a new SUV and she didnt even need a sticker to get on. It is just straight ID check apparently. I think Coolhand's explanation makes all the sense here.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:04 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,158,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
I worked many years checking those stinkers...a lot of fun...NOT! The reason behind the change is that it identifies you as DoD. Even more, the color scheme was really really easy to figure out. To make matters worse, personnel had to add rank to the stickers which further identified the driver thus helping terrorists, its same as adding a flag to your POV, waving "hello, I am the base commander and I am going to mall."

One more positive. In case your not aware, those military spouse's were real ------ when it came to getting their salute. They honestly thought they deserved a salute. The obviously solution is to ID them which of course revealed that its Jane Smith, wife of Col Smith. We honestly wasted time explaining that we don't salute wives or cars, very frustrating.

It worked in the 70s-90s, but not in today's environment. All of the above were counterproductive to keeping a low profile. I agree 100% with the move.
When the guy at the office told me they were no longer issuing stickers, I asked him "What do you do?" apparently that has yet to be determined.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:43 PM

14,693 posts, read 22,475,641 times
If I was still in, I would be glad for this rule since it means no more saluting those stupid blue stickers.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:25 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,475,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Must be East Coast/West Coast thing. I'mout East and all the bases under MCIEAST require a base decal or visitor's pass.

MCB Camp Lejeune - Vehicle Registration
Likewise Hawaii ... Just had to get a new set less than two months ago here ...

Old 01-30-2012, 08:58 AM

930 posts, read 1,577,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
If I was still in, I would be glad for this rule since it means no more saluting those stupid blue stickers.
Yeah, because stupidity never infects the enlisted/NCO ranks. Good call.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:54 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,475,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
Yeah, because stupidity never infects the enlisted/NCO ranks. Good call.
I don't recall saying anything about officers being stupid, just the stickers. As I was told many times, I was not saluting the officer, I was just saluting the sticker itself. For all we knew the vehicle was being driven by a dependent. But since we didn't know, we were told to always salute.

Please read posts more carefully in the future before taking exception with them. God bless you in your service (past, present or future) to our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues