U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 04:31 PM

889 posts, read 1,463,183 times

Advertisements

Here's another way to look at it, not sure why I didn't think of this with my original post.

The military, no matter what branch, requires commitment to the service and your brothers/sisters in arms.

If you can't commit yourself enough to get a high school diploma (or equivalent), how can your leadership and fellow servicemembers rely on you to commit to something bigger than yourself? Especially when lives may depend on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 10:31 AM

467 posts, read 1,276,184 times
Perhaps you should focus on your schoolwork

If you are going to succeed in the military, you need to fix the attitude, my friend.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:40 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,027,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
I am interested in joining the military. With these qualifications, will I be able to join the military?

I am a 10th grader who will become 17 in May.

Am I going to be able to join the military?

Edit: Don't give me the 'focus on your schoolwork' bullcrap because I am already planning on doing that if I am able to join the military.

Of course you can join the service if you want to badly enough, assuming you don't have some kind of disqualifier. You'll have to have your parents permission until you turn 18, though.

Go talk to a recruiter and see what you need to do during this final year to prepare yourself, then go "Be All You Can Be!"

Old 01-31-2012, 10:56 AM

15,371 posts, read 33,754,701 times
I do sooooo want to be a little bird in the tree at the OP's first day of basic

Old 01-31-2012, 11:50 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,027,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I do sooooo want to be a little bird in the tree at the OP's first day of basic

It probably wouldn't be any more entertaining than my first day in basic. Talk about culture shock!

Old 01-31-2012, 03:28 PM

2,833 posts, read 4,022,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
I am interested in joining the military. With these qualifications, will I be able to join the military?

I am a 10th grader who will become 17 in May.
I entered the Army at 17 with my parents permission, however, I had already graduated high school.

Am I going to be able to join the military?
With the budget cut looming on the horizons, you had better be the best that you can be.

Edit: Don't give me the 'focus on your schoolwork' bullcrap because I am already planning on doing that if I am able to join the military.
I you have problems with school work your most likely going to have problem with the military. They want personel that have graduated high scholl or some sort of college. If you think school work is BS then the crap they will put you through will make school work look like a walk in the park, and with your attitude you might make it 3 weeks in basic training before they through you out for being undesirible, "not fit for military duty"

Old 02-02-2012, 02:59 PM

519 posts, read 1,824,931 times
Everyone here has already given you excellent advice. If you don't like school now, then no need to join the military. Do you think you aren't required to go to schools and training while in? Think again. In order to promote in the Army (maybe all of the branches?) you have to have civilian education (College classes). You also have to have military education (correspondence classes which you are required to do in your spare time). On top of that, there are constant training classes that you will be required to take to learn and expand on your job skills.

My husband and all 3 kids serve - 3 Army and one Marine. Three out of the 4 are currently in training classes for various reasons, and the 4th just finished up a 3 week class on Friday. They spend just at much time in training classes as they do working at their regular jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues