U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 01:38 PM

173 posts, read 272,415 times

Advertisements

I am interested in joining the military. With these qualifications, will I be able to join the military?

I am a 10th grader who will become 17 in May.

Am I going to be able to join the military?

Edit: Don't give me the 'focus on your schoolwork' bullcrap because I am already planning on doing that if I am able to join the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 01:47 PM

24,133 posts, read 38,871,775 times
We don't allow "bullcrap" on this site...

You will need your parents permision to join at 17 years of age.

It will depend on your ASVAB scores.

It will depend on your civilian education. You most likely need to be a High School graduate.

You should go talk to some Recruiters...

Rich

Old 01-28-2012, 04:53 PM

3,270 posts, read 4,777,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
I am interested in joining the military. With these qualifications, will I be able to join the military?

Edit: Don't give me the 'focus on your schoolwork' bullcrap because I am already planning on doing that if I am able to join the military.
Right now no...

You will need your high school diploma and a qualify asvab score. Or a GED with "30 not sure" hours of college credits is accepted in lieu of the diploma.

What do you want to do in the military anyway?

Old 01-29-2012, 08:23 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,464,412 times
A recruiter will be able to give you the most accurate answer to your question.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:30 AM

889 posts, read 1,463,566 times
Read the news, the military is downsizing. While there will still be a need for new recruits, services will need to be more selective. No HS diploma or GED puts you at the bottom of the pile.

Focusing on your schoolwork shouldn't be contingent on being able to join the military. Focusing on your schoolwork should be your main concern....period.

If you consider that "bullcrap", then there's nothing we can do to help you.

But as others have suggested, speak to a recruiter.....then go back to your schoolwork.

I'll also add that if you think schoolwork is going to end in the military, you don't have any idea what the military is about.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:56 AM

930 posts, read 1,575,979 times
Quote:

Edit: I had some advice to offer till I read this. Good luck, kid.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:18 AM

15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
Read the news, the military is downsizing. While there will still be a need for new recruits, services will need to be more selective. No HS diploma or GED puts you at the bottom of the pile.

Focusing on your schoolwork shouldn't be contingent on being able to join the military. Focusing on your schoolwork should be your main concern....period.

If you consider that "bullcrap", then there's nothing we can do to help you.

But as others have suggested, speak to a recruiter.....then go back to your schoolwork.

I'll also add that if you think schoolwork is going to end in the military, you don't have any idea what the military is about.
No kidding. Even if you are going to be a "grunt", there is still a lot to learn. As I recall, basic training included more classroom time than marching time!

Back when I went into the Army, testing was a huge part of the process. Having a high score (then called a GT score, now called something else), allowed you to have a better choice of what you wanted to do. Low scores = cannon fodder, High scores = primo jobs.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-30-2012, 11:23 AM

4,579 posts, read 6,141,736 times
Listen young buck the first thing you need to do is take that chip off of your shoulder. Your coming to a message board or even a source of information that has people with life experience. At this moment a high school diploma may not seem like a big thing but ask most anyone who has been out of high school for a good amount of time and most if not all would say they wished they had taken it more serious.

When you join the military it's a system of constant training and to advance yes there is testing involved. In the working world it's becoming more and more competitive especially in the upper income professions or if you have a license of some sort there's a constant thing called continuing education. So don't for a moment think the test or learning requiremrnts in life stop after high school.

So with all that being said when your looking at the military when your thinking about going in also consider how marketable the job will be if you decide to get out. There's not a big market outside of the military for a tank driver. Military or not finish high school and pump up those grades because sometimes there in life an employer may/will ask what percentile were you in at HS?

Good luck..

Old 01-30-2012, 12:12 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,393,337 times
Quote:

focus on your schoolwork

Old 01-30-2012, 01:00 PM

24,133 posts, read 38,871,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Having a high score (then called a GT score, now called something else), allowed you to have a better choice of what you wanted to do. Low scores = cannon fodder, High scores = primo jobs.

20yrsinBranson
The Army still uses the GT scores. It's probably still the one most Army score to begin some type of qualification. The Army converts the ASVAB subtest scores into their own scores. The Army GT score (General Technical) is now derived by combining the ASVAB VE score and AR score.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues