U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 04:38 PM

7 posts, read 23,094 times

Advertisements

I'm debating between college and military after high school, but I'm not sure if the military would let me in because of medical stuff.

I'm flat footed, but have never needed any special shoes or anything for it and it doesn't bother me.

I had a urethral re-implantation surgery when I was little and haven't had any problems since except for a little pain (barely any) from scarring. I went to the doctor about a month ago for it because I was scared it was "undoing" itself or something and that I would need another surgery, but it's just scarring.

The thing that I'm most worried about is that I have lots of doctor visits/complaints of stuff from when I was younger (before I started high school) about stomach aches, head aches, dizziness, nausea, and stuff like that because I basically hated school and would pretend to be sick then my parents would make me go to the doctor. Would that prevent them from letting me in the military?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 06:11 PM

3,286 posts, read 4,783,705 times
Default medical concerns..

You'll need to see a recruiter and then go to MEPS where a military doctor will evaluate you. They will need to see all you medical records..

Old 01-30-2012, 12:04 PM

14,693 posts, read 22,475,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
You'll need to see a recruiter and then go to MEPS where a military doctor will evaluate you. They will need to see all you medical records..
What bellhead said is correct. You're not still faking sick to get out of things, are you? Because that may lead to a malingering charge in the military.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:32 PM

930 posts, read 1,576,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleBuddy View Post
because I basically hated school and would pretend to be sick then my parents would make me go to the doctor. Would that prevent them from letting me in the military?
Depends. Has your attitude changed? If so, great. If not, please do our military a favor and plan another career path.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:54 PM

24,138 posts, read 38,906,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleBuddy View Post
I'm debating between college and military after high school, but I'm not sure if the military would let me in because of medical stuff.

I'm flat footed,
I was drafted with flat feet. Bad flat feet... I made it 22+ years in the Army.

Go talk to all the recruiters...

Rich

Old 01-30-2012, 01:27 PM

7 posts, read 23,094 times
Thanks for the answers everyone. I stopped faking sick in 6th or 7th grade. (I'm a junior now.) That's what I'm mainly concerned about - that they wouldn't want me because I used to fake sick all the time, even though I don't do it anymore. I'm guessing they wouldn't just not let me in the military because I lied as a kid, but they might think I'm lying about lying because I don't want to be disqualified, you know?

Old 01-31-2012, 10:30 AM

467 posts, read 1,277,698 times
For anything that is a real medical condition (surgery, etc), bring a letter from the appropriate doctor with you, to MEPS. Make sure your various Dr.'s contact information is included. If there is no impact on function, be sure the letter says so. Be prepared for a pretty thorough ortho exam - they'll make you walk back and forth across the room about 50 times.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:48 PM

513 posts, read 1,854,539 times
....Beaglebuddy..take a look at my post ..page 5..on the topic: "75% of ..........", specifically the 3rd paragraph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or