U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 02:10 PM

4,584 posts, read 6,174,927 times

Advertisements

Now all of us who have served have some great stories to tell. No names just events. The best stories are anything mostly alcohol related. So if ya got em, tell em..

For me I don't remember too much from the night but me and my buddy were let off of work early and were instructed not to drink because we could be called back. Yea right.. We turned on the stereo and commenced to drinking beer and doing shots while watching MTV..

After the booze kicked in we showered up, changed and hit the NCO club.. Now it's pitchers and the appetizers. After that the next 3-4 hours are a blank. When I came out of it, I was in the middle of the street (on base) directing traffic on a road and my buddy was half way up a telephone pole talking about before the military he always wanted to work for the phone company.

I got him to come down and I let traffic go by it's regular flow and we went back to the barracks I guess because after that window of light neither of us remembered anything else until we saw each other the next day late in the evening.

Of course we blamed each other and swore off drinking but that lasted until the next weekend. Today when we talk we just shake our heads and wonder how we got through those days..

I will say this we had the party barracks. The SP's would constantly come through telling people to turn the music down or not be having a 24/2.5 day barbecue on weekends. But once they got off work they came by and hit the keg.. One time an old SP Sargent was sent over to handle things and he got caught up in it too.

He said he has spent over 25 years in the service and had to say he thought we were the most partying MF'ers he has seen.

Everyone tried to shut the partying down but guess who succeeded? The military police tried, but the commander basically said from what I heard if they aren't breaking anything leave them alone.. A butt kissing Sargent tried. No go.. The base police tried, nothing..

The ones who got us shut down remember this only went on during the weekends. Was the wives of some of the men who would sneak to the barracks. so rather than deal with their husbands they complained so much they said no more kegs and music stopped at 10pm..

Now the NCO club had to deal with the weekend drinkers..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 02:45 PM

2,634 posts, read 4,420,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
were instructed not to drink because we could be called back. Yea right..
Hate to be a party pooper, but this sounds like the 70s/80s. Back then this kind of stuff is laughed off.

The more likely scenario these days: you're called back, found drunk on duty, and Article 15ed/barred to reenlistment while undergoing alcohol counseling. The days of alcohol being 'cool' in the Army are kind of fading.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:01 PM

Yes those were late 80's early 90's days.. Times do change.. Also the call back was about a two-three hour window from an 8 hour shift and no one was ever cut back unless there was a very very remote chance they would be needed.. Especially if the person was married becasue the married folks always got caught up in some family thing. The married people used to look froward to coming to work because the spouse always had some projects or some errand for them..

Old 01-30-2012, 07:11 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,097,342 times
1970:

Our armored company drew our turn in the rotation of troops guarding an ammo dump south of Nurnberg, Germany. This dump had a compound within a compound, with each perimeter secured with armed guards. They didn't tell us what was in those 2 or 3 internal bunkers, but it's not too hard to figure out, is it? We would pull this duty for a week.

The plan was that while one platoon was on duty at the ammo dump, another platoon would be the ready reaction force, restricted to base (Montieth Barracks, Furth) until relieved of that duty, and the third platoon would be off duty. We rotated those positions daily.

My platoon did it's turn at guard duty (and there's a whole set of stories which can be told about that too, including "someone" re-wiring the field phones as an early warning system when the "lifers" came around, a doped-up accidental pistol shot in a guard tower, etc). We went back to Montieth Barracks and became the off duty platoon.

Since we were off duty and had nothing else to do, we set out to get drunk and smoke dope. Somebody came in with several bottles of Monkey Wine to supplement the bier and hashish, so by sundown, the whole platoon was pretty well out of it.

Suddenly, the word came down: "Alert!!" The whole company, not just the ready reaction force, was on the move to the ammo dump and right now too! Nobody told us anything. For all we knew, this was a REAL alert! We stumbled around gathering weapons and equipment. By the time we managed to weave our way outside, there sat a line of deuce and half's and off we went in a high speed (by Army standards) convoy to the ammo dump.

Arriving in the pitch blackness, we were relieved not to find any Russki's assaulting the place, but there was the whole command structure, from the division ADC right on down to our Company Commander. It was a "big deal" practice alert to see just how "ready" we were.

You can believe me when I report they were NOT pleased with the condition of our platoon! A couple of the guys were passed out on the trucks and a few more had thrown up along the way. The rest were weaving and bobbing around trying to get into some semblance of a formation. Some of us pulled out the guys from the trucks and tried to prop them up. The smell was horrific. With the ADC, Brigade Commander and Battalion Commander standing right there with their eyes bugged out, we had one pass out and hit the ground a another two or three puke.

The CO was about to go into apoplexy and was yelling at his Platoon Leaders who were yelling at us while the Brigade and Battalion Commander's were yelling at everybody. We were all too drunk or high to give much a damn.

Eventually, they just loaded us back up and took us home. Nobody got an Article 15 or a Courts Martial or anything, though I wasn't too sure when we left that the CO would escape. As we drove away, a gaggle of senior officers had his heels locked.

Ah...the good ol' days of defending freedom!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:30 PM

14,693 posts, read 22,534,607 times
One of the best days of drinking ever:

I almost always wake up early no matter how late I was up the night before. So the Cpl from NBC who was on barracks duty knocks on my door at 8 am on a Sunday asking if I had seen LCPl Troublemaker who was late for Group Duty (again).

I told the Cpl no and he continued his search. As soon as he turned the corner, I ran and woke up my drinking buddy. We headed out post haste since we knew that the Cpl would soon be looking for a replacement. Started drinking around 9 am at Hooters in Newport Beach and got back to the barracks round about 9 pm. I got chewed out for leaving but no one had told me to stay so they had nothing on me.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:19 PM

What's really crazy is the best times had are some not remembered. You can only go by what people told you.. I did what???????????????

Old 01-31-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
What's really crazy is the best times had are some not remembered. You can only go by what people told you.. I did what???????????????
Sort of like that saying about the 60's? If you can remember it...you weren't there!

Old 01-31-2012, 09:42 PM

14,095 posts, read 23,040,459 times
Multiple stories.

We got word to head to Bosnia (1992). Late that night, some airdales got plastered while on watch on the flight deck. We know this because one of the guys went for a swim at 2 am. The amphib fleet commander wasn't happy. All were kicked out the Navy, one of whom had months left until an honorable discharge.

Young drunk sailor returned to the ship. Very long story short, he awakes in his rack wearing women's Mickey Mouse panties and all his clothes are in the women's berthing compartment. He had no memory of what happened.

Odessa, Ukraine-(another long story short) guy got drunk and woke up married. Brief version of events-beautiful local woman grabbed him and brought him to a house/yard. Old man read out of a book and everyone gave him Vodka. He awoke next to her wearing wedding bands. He was many hours late. The Navy declared the marriage not valid. She was with the Russian Mafia.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Multiple stories.

We got word to head to Bosnia (1992). Late that night, some airdales got plastered while on watch on the flight deck. We know this because one of the guys went for a swim at 2 am. The amphib fleet commander wasn't happy. All were kicked out the Navy, one of whom had months left until an honorable discharge.

Young drunk sailor returned to the ship. Very long story short, he awakes in his rack wearing women's Mickey Mouse panties and all his clothes are in the women's berthing compartment. He had no memory of what happened.

Odessa, Ukraine-(another long story short) guy got drunk and woke up married. Brief version of events-beautiful local woman grabbed him and brought him to a house/yard. Old man read out of a book and everyone gave him Vodka. He awoke next to her wearing wedding bands. He was many hours late. The Navy declared the marriage not valid. She was with the Russian Mafia.

We had a group of new replacements arrive at our base camp, LZ Hawk Hill, and since the company was in the field at the time, they just sort of hung out for a couple of days.

One afternoon, a bunch of them headed up to the EM club and came back pretty late and pretty plastered. But, one was missing. We couldn't find him anywhere.

The next morning when we fell out for formation...there he was, head down in a 55 gal. trash barrel, with just his feet and legs sticking out. He'd leaned over into it to throw up, passed out and spent the night standing on his head.

ps: I don't mind telling the world who he was. His name was Patrick Sullivan, from New York, and he was assigned to Co C, 2/1 Inf, 196th Light Infantry Brigade in 1971.

Sullivan! If you're out there, contact me!

Last edited by stillkit; 02-01-2012 at 07:02 AM..

Old 02-01-2012, 11:57 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,929,302 times
Sorry, not alcohol-related. But: I arrived at Kwang ju Air Base, South Korea as a VERY new Senior Airman.(E-4) My first assignment was maintaining the USAF's navigator trainer, a Boeing 737 modified as a flying classroom. The fighter aircraft in the Pacific Air Forces were a whole new ball game for me. My second day at work, two Marine F-4s stopped for "gas & lunch". Now, I would eventually come to understand that we Airman probably "go by the book" too much while the Marines probably don't follow it enough. Ready to launch the jets out, I told the pilot that I spotted a minor hydraulic leak under his aircraft. He said "Chief, you know what that means, don't you"? I said "No Sir". He replied "That means there's still fluid in the system". We launched them out for the return flight to Iwakuni, Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or