Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:23 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,322,792 times

Advertisements

Catdancer,

Totally different. When I was doing enlisted recruiting, my applicants had to agree to take ANY job. If they refused a job, they would get DEP Discharged and told to join another branch. If you can't meet the needs of the Air Force, we don't want you (That was just a year ago). Now, doing officer recruiting, you may or may not get offered the job you ask for. If you get offered a different job, you can take it or leave it. If you leave it, don't ever apply again, it will be held against you. It will be assumed you don't really care about being in the Air Force, you care more about a specific job, so we'll hire someone else.

Alliancekey,

Do you have medical issues that need to be addressed? Otherwise, probably the recruiter is really busy. Also, we are often restricted. If we have a goal of 3 people, we can only have 9 in our DEP (limited to 300%) so we just have to stop sending people to MEPS. Also, it got so crazy with the amount of people at MEPS that MEPS now limits us to 1 or 2 people a day, per branch. There may be 15 Air Force recruiters using the same MEPS, so it can be awhile before your recruiter gets a slot to send someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 10:30 AM

8 posts, read 13,284 times
dmarie123,

Thank you for that explanation and I dont have any medical conditions.

Since your are a recruiter, in you opinion should i try another recruiter that maybe hasnt meet his/her limit and is that frowned upon going to another recruiter?

Old 08-22-2013, 08:38 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,038 times
I'm not a recruiter but I also believe October, start of the fiscal year, usually opens options up. I know that's when we try to get guys to re-enlist.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:03 AM

Alliancekey,

In my experience, every Air Force recruiter has a waiting list like Whoa

Old 08-23-2013, 01:19 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,958,911 times
Just on average or face value does it seem like it's hard to get into the military now. Mostly thinking of Air Force? Is there a downsizing going or cut backs on recruiting?

Old 08-23-2013, 04:17 PM

Recruiting has cut back significantly, but the other issue is the economy. So few people can find good jobs with great benefits that they are trying to join en mass.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:20 PM

The pay is far above mininimum wage within the first two years if you consider allowances. I know of no other industry that pays for college and lets you retire at 20 years without contributing a dollar, and no minimum age to start receiving the retirement check, has free medical and dental, allows a large portion of your paycheck not to be subject to state and federal taxes, doesn't have traditional layoffs, and has 30 days of paid vacation a year, plus unlimited sick days, holidays and weekends. Free access to lawyers for wills and other legal advice, free laser eye surgery, discounts at thousands upon thousands of retailers, possible free air travel between bases, guaranteed pay raises every year, free gym "memberships" on base, etc.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:18 PM

8 posts, read 13,284 times
Will the rollback affect new enlistment?

Old 04-27-2014, 10:21 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
That is the magic of the exam, in that it tests your ability. It is sort of like an IQ or LSAT, in which while there is a baseline knowledge needed, and a person can study to improve a little, the exams really test a person's abilities in which they cannot really ever improve.

The ASVAB is testing a person's ability in order to classify their ability to successfully complete schools needed to perform their job in the military. A person in the military does not have time to constantly study and redo courses, it is basically a "one time shot" deal. So obviously they are not going to design the ASVAB to make it where a person can get an excellent score by simply studying a year for it.

For example, there are people with just a GED and score high, and there are college grads that score rather low; it is design to sort people's abilities this way. There is more to many jobs in the military than straight knowledge, the ability to convey that knowledge in a very quick manner is essential, and to know what to do in absent of "100%" data is also essential; many people just cannot do this.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:37 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Actually the Arithmetic Reasoning and Mathematical Knowledge section was the most likely section to see improvement after taking the old BSEP classes. I taught them part time while we were overseas. I am sure they still have something along those lines. If you are thinking of enlisting and are near a military installation, recruiters used to be able to get potential enlistees enrolled, although that may have changed. If you are already in talk to your unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues