U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:42 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,289,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
That would really depend on his strengths, weakness and interest are.

If he wants to travel the world well the NAVY is just right for him.
If he wants a physical/mental challenge he should go into the MARINES
If prefers to live comfortably with petty much the best living conditions then I suggest the AIR FORCE
The ARMY is a little of all of the above
I cannot give you any real information on the COAST GUARD

The negatives:
In many of the positions in the NAVY you are required to perform sea duty for months at a time, not recomended for families
The MARINES are (in most fields)prone to have to p/u and leave at a moments notice.
The ARMY promotional system is good/bad, meaning youcan obtain rank quick but lose it just as quick
The AIR FORCE is harder to obtain rank and once you get to certain level politics play a larger role in promotion

I served 18years in the Air Force and two years in the Army. I was stationed in Virginia and spoke with many soldiers, seamen, grunts and zoomies
Very well stated! I must say all Branches are well oiled running machines. Obviously I lean toward the beloved Marine Corps, You will never find a Branch as Proud and motivated,Period.

Close second hands down Navy, Love the Greenside Navy Corpsman (they are Marines only their uniform has Navy. The Navy has quite a unique mission as well outlook. You will never receieve a better opportunity to travel the World as the Navy.

Army appears to be everywhere (stateside) and most locations you don't want to be overseas. If you can stomach a ball cap cover over the eight point good on you. Promotions appear often also the Army gets a ton on trinkets, ribbons and buttons to place on their Dress Uniform (at least you appear somewhat accomplished). All in All a good group of Men and Women.

Air Force, I wish I possess more insight of them, I hear they deploy for a few months at a time,great facilities, and attractive female service members. I'm unsure of all the squiggly lines they use for rank. Most I've encounterd are kind-hearted and humble.

Coast Guard....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 06:34 AM

13,292 posts, read 10,103,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Very well stated! I must say all Branches are well oiled running machines. Obviously I lean toward the beloved Marine Corps, You will never find a Branch as Proud and motivated,Period.

Close second hands down Navy, Love the Greenside Navy Corpsman (they are Marines only their uniform has Navy. The Navy has quite a unique mission as well outlook. You will never receieve a better opportunity to travel the World as the Navy.

Army appears to be everywhere (stateside) and most locations you don't want to be overseas. If you can stomach a ball cap cover over the eight point good on you. Promotions appear often also the Army gets a ton on trinkets, ribbons and buttons to place on their Dress Uniform (at least you appear somewhat accomplished). All in All a good group of Men and Women.

Air Force, I wish I possess more insight of them, I hear they deploy for a few months at a time,great facilities, and attractive female service members. I'm unsure of all the squiggly lines they use for rank. Most I've encounterd are kind-hearted and humble.

Coast Guard....

I thought it was just me regarding the Coast Guard, that rarely heard of branch. I have to admit I have always had respect for the Marines especially for their tightness with one another. But as for someone who has served in both Army and Air force........I consider myself a ZOOMIE at heart

Old 02-14-2012, 11:56 AM

4,186 posts, read 4,547,520 times
I would say that all branches have positive and negative but once you put in the blood, sweat and tears of serving your country, It brings joy and proud of knowing you are one of the many that made this country a better place. That can be accomplished in any branch though for me, it was Army!

Old 02-15-2012, 05:26 AM

867 posts, read 2,519,638 times
Please keep in mind that even within branches one's experiences are going to vastly differ based on the kind of unit they are in. When I was deployed with an active Army Military Police unit in 2003-2004 the mechanics worked their asses off, but in 2008 when I was with a Reserve Civil Affairs unit at Camp Liberty, Iraq, they were outright Cadillacin'.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 AM

13,292 posts, read 10,103,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
Please keep in mind that even within branches one's experiences are going to vastly differ based on the kind of unit they are in. When I was deployed with an active Army Military Police unit in 2003-2004 the mechanics worked their asses off, but in 2008 when I was with a Reserve Civil Affairs unit at Camp Liberty, Iraq, they were outright Cadillacin'.
Yeah I forgot about that, and it also depends on what type of supervisor and where you are stationed. I think that makes a big difference rather you re-enlist or not also

Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 PM

60 posts, read 99,427 times
I had to reply since no one seemed to know much about the cg. We are the smallest service. The oldest sea going service. We are part of homeland security, not department of defense. I have been in 13 years, life is good, people are great! I have not gone to a training where i haven't seen someone i know because we are that small. I like to think of my coast guard shipmates as my family, we take care of eachother. We have many missions; check out UNITED STATES COAST GUARD:. Very competitive to join, aim for a high asvab to distinguish yourself. The difference for us is that the member will graduate bootcamp as an E2 or E3 and go to their first unit where they have the opportunity to learn what most all coastguardsman learned before them; how to start from the bottom and work their way up. Necessary component for leadership skills imo. The member will choose the technical school they want, any school that they qualify for(for job training) and it may be a wait of 6 months or a wait of 2 years it just depends. The important factor is that our jobs are available to everyone, all women or men, as long as their scores qualify, they can wait for their right fit. Advancement is fast, as fast as the member wants it to be. It depends on the individual for the most part, although some jobs have slower advancements then others. We have the GI bill, tuition assistance, all the good stuff but dont count to much on an entry bonus, we have people lined up at the door to get in and we interview so come to your local recruiter like its an interview; dress nicely, show up at your best. We are looking for people who would like to instill our core values into their lives of honor, respect and devotion to duty. Semper Paratus!!!

Old 02-25-2012, 10:46 AM

645 posts, read 1,737,002 times
I will till you this. I work, deploy and train with all services, Army, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. I have never heard an Airman say they wished they had joined another service. However, I always hear other services saying they wished they joined the Air Force.

My recommendation: If he wants a job that all services have, then join the Air Force. However if he want's to be a grunt, then join the Army or Marines. If he wants to be see the world on a ship then the Navy is probably his best option.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:24 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,422,745 times
My son has been in the Airforce for a little over a year and he loves it.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:08 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,569,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
I will till you this. I work, deploy and train with all services, Army, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. I have never heard an Airman say they wished they had joined another service. However, I always hear other services saying they wished they joined the Air Force.

My recommendation: If he wants a job that all services have, then join the Air Force. However if he want's to be a grunt, then join the Army or Marines. If he wants to be see the world on a ship then the Navy is probably his best option.
You experience is what it is, but here is mine. I'm a recruiter in an AF town and have airman come into my office often in the 2.5+ years I've been on this duty ask how to switch from the AF to the Marines. Most recently an USAF E-5 with 3 years left on his current contract. The reasons people had on looking into the Marine Corps are varied, but a big part of most of it was culture. Either the USAF culture didn't mesh well with their personality or he fraternity of the Marine Corps as compared to the USAF. Every branch is going to have people that love, like, and hate it. USAF is not excluded form that.

Also, IME, USAF seem to denigrate their service more than the other branches. Now this is not the majority of Airmen, but I've seen it enough for it to be a trend. Like they have an infertility complex. A couple of examples that stick out in my mind are one when I was talking with an Airman in the local Walmart. Through conversation found out we had the same job (Supply) but our outlooks on it were totally different. I looked at my job as the most essential MOS in the Marine Corps without which no other unit could function, in addition to being one of the most lucrative and easiest fields for transitioning to either GS or government contractor work. She looked at it as some back office insignificant unrewarding paper pushing exercise in banality. Another occasion I was talking to someone at hospital on the base, who was interested in the things I've done and places I've been in a Marine. When I asked them about what they do, he said "I'm just in the USAF". I had to tell him that means something, you put up your hand just like I did. You work in a freaking hospital where you are responsible for the health and well being of your fellow Airmen. Heck, the most respected, loved, and cherished personnel in Marine Corps are our Navy Hospital Corpsman aka "DOC". I get upset when disparage the Air Force by calling it the Chair Force. Which may have been tru at some point in it's history, but devalues the contributions they make today.

I'll answer the OP's question the same was I answer it to people who ask it to me out here. Our Army is the best Army in the world, our Navy is the best Navy in the world, our Air Force is the best Air Force in the world. Any service you choose to join is a fine choice. What you should do is sit down with all of the recruiters and find out which branch is the best for you.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:28 AM

24,138 posts, read 38,883,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
I will till you this. I work, deploy and train with all services, Army, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. I have never heard an Airman say they wished they had joined another service.
I have two close friends who started in the Air Force and came over to the Army.

My kids were born on an Air Force base.

In my continuous 22+ years of continuous active duty I was assigned to two different Air Force bases.

I had the opportunity to work with many Marines and a few Coast Guard members over the years.

My wife's family has a long line of Navy members...

To the question " what branch is best?", the answer might be, whatever service you choose to honorably serve your country with.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues