U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:36 PM

13,292 posts, read 10,124,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
You experience is what it is, but here is mine. I'm a recruiter in an AF town and have airman come into my office often in the 2.5+ years I've been on this duty ask how to switch from the AF to the Marines. Most recently an USAF E-5 with 3 years left on his current contract. The reasons people had on looking into the Marine Corps are varied, but a big part of most of it was culture. Either the USAF culture didn't mesh well with their personality or he fraternity of the Marine Corps as compared to the USAF. Every branch is going to have people that love, like, and hate it. USAF is not excluded form that.

Also, IME, USAF seem to denigrate their service more than the other branches. Now this is not the majority of Airmen, but I've seen it enough for it to be a trend. Like they have an infertility complex. A couple of examples that stick out in my mind are one when I was talking with an Airman in the local Walmart. Through conversation found out we had the same job (Supply) but our outlooks on it were totally different. I looked at my job as the most essential MOS in the Marine Corps without which no other unit could function, in addition to being one of the most lucrative and easiest fields for transitioning to either GS or government contractor work. She looked at it as some back office insignificant unrewarding paper pushing exercise in banality. Another occasion I was talking to someone at hospital on the base, who was interested in the things I've done and places I've been in a Marine. When I asked them about what they do, he said "I'm just in the USAF". I had to tell him that means something, you put up your hand just like I did. You work in a freaking hospital where you are responsible for the health and well being of your fellow Airmen. Heck, the most respected, loved, and cherished personnel in Marine Corps are our Navy Hospital Corpsman aka "DOC". I get upset when disparage the Air Force by calling it the Chair Force. Which may have been tru at some point in it's history, but devalues the contributions they make today.

I'll answer the OP's question the same was I answer it to people who ask it to me out here. Our Army is the best Army in the world, our Navy is the best Navy in the world, our Air Force is the best Air Force in the world. Any service you choose to join is a fine choice. What you should do is sit down with all of the recruiters and find out which branch is the best for you.
I would bet that many of the guys who are in the AF are the type of guys that relish alot of physical work and comradeship with other members. I will admit as someone who was in both Army and Air Force I understand. Personally I preferred the comfortable living that the AF had to offer as opposed to the outdoors of the Army
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 04:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,936 times
it is possible to travel around the world by joining airforce

Old 07-01-2014, 09:46 AM

9,018 posts, read 7,972,134 times
I prefer the Marines....I've met more than a few Marines who were really proud of their service,
happy w/ the way they were treated, etc. They're worldly, knowledgeable,
mature (even in their 20's) & seriously have their acts together....
I've known guys who went into the Army & Navy who weren't so happy about their choices.....

But the Marines--
Something about 'em......

My favorite military men

Old 07-01-2014, 06:05 PM

4,157 posts, read 3,902,552 times
Good for your son being willing to serve his country. I wholeheartedly concur with him getting his rate settled, and guaranteed, before signing at the bottom.

Myself? I went Navy...and would do it again if I had a life do-over. All branches of our military are honorable and worthy of your son's service.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:14 AM

29 posts, read 32,787 times
I've been in the Navy for 14 years and I love it! Never thought about joining any other service.

Have your son do his research on all the branches and see which one is a better fit. I wanted to travel and see the world, so it was always blue and gold for me...

Old 07-07-2014, 10:02 AM

534 posts, read 673,122 times
Default Joined the navy and retired from the coast guard

I spent 8 years in the navy and 12 in the coast guard.

The navy, army, and airforce are too corporate. They are by the book and unable to maneuver quickly to meet a changing world. In those services an enlisted person becomes part of a caste system of untouchables unless they move up. Up or out is the motto. I knew a guy who was 6 months away from retiring from the navy (19.5years) and because he couldn't run fast enough for a pt test, he was let go with out retirement.

The coast guard is a smaller service, but it is more reliant on its people due to its size. This allows for more respect shown the junior enlisted as part of a team.

I was in aviation and flew as an aircrew member and was as valued as a pilot.

Ps...I have a brother who was a marine Col. So I wouldn't recommend the marines unless your a true believer

Last edited by Christinerica; 07-07-2014 at 10:54 AM..

Old 07-07-2014, 10:21 AM

11,987 posts, read 10,711,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
I spent 8 years in the navy and 12 in the coast guard.

The navy, army, and airforce are too corporate. They are by the book and unable to maneuver quickly to meet a changing world. In those services an enlisted person becomes part of a caste system of untouchables unless they move up. Up or out is the motto. I knew a guy who was 6 months away from retiring from the navy (19.5years) and because he couldn't run fast enough for a pt test, he was let go with out retirement.

The coast guard is a smaller service, but it is more reliant on its people due to its size. This allows for more respect shown the junior enlisted as part of a team.

I was in aviation and flew as an aircrew member and was as valued as a pilot.
Surely this is urban myth? In the Army, once you've done over 18 years, you're pretty much guaranteed a retirement unless you do something truly terrible -- worse than a DUI. Failing a PT test at 19.5 years would barely raise an eyebrow. In fact, PT tests are pretty much voluntary once someone has an approved retirement packet it.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:52 AM

534 posts, read 673,122 times
Default Not in the navy

Any excuse to rif someone was the navy motto.

This was back in the summer of 86, I can't imagine things are any better.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:47 AM

391 posts, read 866,508 times
Actually, 18 years and over is guaranteed (there ARE a couple of caveats such as general/special court martial ...but nothing that is admin in nature such as a PT test / ht-weight / etc). It's slang term is "sanctuary" (primarily used for Guard/Reserve Soldiers that have 18 years credible active service).

Title 10 / Chap 59 / Section 1171 is reference for both Active / Reserve Enlisted
18 going over 20 (search for Title 10 USC 1171)

Title 10 / Chap 1221 / Section 12686 is more on the Reserve Enlisted (search for Title 10 USC 12686)

Officers have the same stipulation (the officer separation board notices this past year on the Army side stated the 18 year and over caveat within the message), but my Cornell Law and Google-fu could not pull up the reference.

Christine: I will tell that on the Army side, our non rated crewmembers receive every bit the respect that the front seaters/rateds do when it comes to crew coordination / crew duties / and being looked out for by their warrant and commissioned officer counterparts. But Aviation is "special/different" in just about all the Services because of the extraordinary daily contact between Servicemembers. We are all an aberration because of the duties involved IMHO.

Now, more on topic? Which service? Merchant Marine (especially their Academy for those looking for an Academy education)! That is a hidden gem.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:59 AM

4,561 posts, read 8,051,645 times
Being over 18 years of service does not make one safe from ADSEP (administrative separation) for PT failures in the Navy. Fail three PFA's in a four year period and you're gone, even if you have 19.9 years. Sanctuary does not apply in this case. Even if you have an approved retirement date in the future and you fail your third one you're gone and won't be allowed to get to your approved retirement date (assuming you're not over 20).

The above example isn't "urban myth" as I've witnessed it several times over my career.

For those that need proof...MILPERSMAN 1910-170 para 2. b. http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...s/1910-170.pdf

Last edited by LBTRS; 07-07-2014 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues