U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 12:07 PM

24,130 posts, read 38,859,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Surely this is urban myth? In the Army, once you've done over 18 years, you're pretty much guaranteed a retirement unless you do something truly terrible -- worse than a DUI. Failing a PT test at 19.5 years would barely raise an eyebrow. In fact, PT tests are pretty much voluntary once someone has an approved retirement packet it.
I don't know the current Army regulations. In the 80's, by Army Regulation, commissioned officers who had served over 18 years active duty would not be rifted. Staying for their 20 years for the sole purpose of retiring was recommended by regulation. Enlisted personnel did not have that protection but if they did not have Article 15 and/or Courts Martials issued, they could get to there retirement. There were a lot of exceptions to the policy issued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 12:09 PM

24,130 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Jeesh... A lot of new answers popped up since I started... I still stand by my memory.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:55 PM

534 posts, read 670,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icarian View Post
Actually, 18 years and over is guaranteed (there ARE a couple of caveats such as general/special court martial ...but nothing that is admin in nature such as a PT test / ht-weight / etc). It's slang term is "sanctuary" (primarily used for Guard/Reserve Soldiers that have 18 years credible active service).

Title 10 / Chap 59 / Section 1171 is reference for both Active / Reserve Enlisted
18 going over 20 (search for Title 10 USC 1171)

Title 10 / Chap 1221 / Section 12686 is more on the Reserve Enlisted (search for Title 10 USC 12686)

Officers have the same stipulation (the officer separation board notices this past year on the Army side stated the 18 year and over caveat within the message), but my Cornell Law and Google-fu could not pull up the reference.

Christine: I will tell that on the Army side, our non rated crewmembers receive every bit the respect that the front seaters/rateds do when it comes to crew coordination / crew duties / and being looked out for by their warrant and commissioned officer counterparts. But Aviation is "special/different" in just about all the Services because of the extraordinary daily contact between Servicemembers. We are all an aberration because of the duties involved IMHO.

Now, more on topic? Which service? Merchant Marine (especially their Academy for those looking for an Academy education)! That is a hidden gem.
I would agree that when the wheels are in the well, the bs is set aside.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:01 PM

5,445 posts, read 4,393,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Surely this is urban myth? In the Army, once you've done over 18 years, you're pretty much guaranteed a retirement unless you do something truly terrible -- worse than a DUI. Failing a PT test at 19.5 years would barely raise an eyebrow. In fact, PT tests are pretty much voluntary once someone has an approved retirement packet it.
I would have to agree. While in the Marines, I spent a decent amount of time on Navy ships. There were Chiefs on board that were as wide as they were tall. There was no way they could have passed their PT test even if they wanted to. These guys were past the 20 year mark so they could have retired anytime they wanted, but they loved their job, were good at what they did, and they loved the Navy. This was in the late 90s to early 2000s.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:17 PM

4,549 posts, read 8,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I would have to agree. While in the Marines, I spent a decent amount of time on Navy ships. There were Chiefs on board that were as wide as they were tall. There was no way they could have passed their PT test even if they wanted to. These guys were past the 20 year mark so they could have retired anytime they wanted, but they loved their job, were good at what they did, and they loved the Navy. This was in the late 90s to early 2000s.
Lot's has changed in the last decade.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:43 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,288,885 times
Each branch would be the best. Once upon a time I believed only my beloved Marine Corps made the world go round.

Just depends on which Best works for you.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:25 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,266,139 times
NOAA. Best uniformed service by a landslide. Second best? PHS.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:40 PM

5,445 posts, read 4,393,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Lot's has changed in the last decade.
I agree. If anything, I believe these chiefs would be forced into retirement, but to kick them out 6 months before retirement because they failed their PFT, I just don't think that would happen.

***edit - This reminds me of the Marine Corp story how everyone knows a friend who knows someone who joined via a court order. It was either go to jail or join the Marines, yet nobody could really point out that individual.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:12 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,266,139 times
My uncle was Navy or jail. Did 4 years, used the GI Bill to study environmental engineering.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:29 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,391,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
***edit - This reminds me of the Marine Corp story how everyone knows a friend who knows someone who joined via a court order. It was either go to jail or join the Marines, yet nobody could really point out that individual.
I didn't know a friend of a friend. I personally knew someone who was offered Army or conviction. It wasn't a court order-the judge basically said 'here's what I'm going to sentence you to, unless you agree to go enlist'. Admittedly, in the 80s, when recruiting was tougher, but it did happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues