U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 11:59 AM

14,558 posts, read 6,695,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
NOAA. Best uniformed service by a landslide. Second best? PHS.

It's a great gig if you can get it. I have two in-laws who work for PHS, specifically in Indian Health. I personally have a beef with PHS as a "uniformed" service... my in-laws get TriCare, full BX and commissary privileges, SGLI equivalent, 20-year retirement, sign-up bonuses with starting pay grade as an O-3, housing allowances, 30 days paid leave a year, COLA increases ... in short, all the things that a Marine or airman or soldier or sailor gets, at the exact same pay grade (they're even called "Commander" with a uniform that is very similar to a Navy uniform) but there are no standards for health or fitness; I'm 15-20 years older than both, passed my last pre-retirement PT test with a 96, can run circles around both (and have done so this year in one-on-one B-ball with one of them). It irritates me that they are both subjecting their uniforms to button stress tests, one freely admits she can't climb three flights of stairs without getting winded and having to stop, the other is pre-diabetic, and neither would meet DoD height/weight/waist circumference standards. The active and reserve components of the military have standards for their folks who go into harm's way, yet PHS, which treats its people the same as far as pay and benefits are concerned, does not. Shameful. I've vented enough... But, as I said in the first line, a great system if you can get into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,056 times
I don't know what college or military branch I want to go when I graduate from high school but me im thinking of becoming a lawyer and I want to know witch branch will accept me with tattoo and my daughter help me please I want a good future for my me and my child thank you for your time.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:06 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,028,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenecaba12 View Post
I don't know what college or military branch I want to go when I graduate from high school but me im thinking of becoming a lawyer and I want to know witch branch will accept me with tattoo and my daughter help me please I want a good future for my me and my child thank you for your time.
I don't care how old you are, I appreciate that you want the best for yourself and your child, and that you plan on graduating.

You really need to talk to recruiters from different branches, as they all have different rules, standards, and needs. Your high school guidance counselor should be able to put you in touch with your local recruiters. At least, mine were able to 20+ years ago (although a recruiter who set up shop at lunch time in the cafeteria is who sold me on joining).

Old 03-11-2015, 12:29 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenecaba12 View Post
Each branch has slightly different criteria for recruitment. Those criteria also change.

Tattoos may make it difficult to get in. Having a child may make it difficult to get in.

If one branch turns you away, does not mean the other branches will turn you away. Each of their policies this month may be different in 6 months from now.

Talk to each recruiter. If you do not like what you hear, try again a few months later.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 779 times
I am 22 years old I am on probation for theft but it's my charge , I'm trying to see if I could still enlist into the military after I finish my probation

Old 10-04-2015, 08:32 AM

24,130 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon34 View Post
I am 22 years old I am on probation for theft but it's my charge , I'm trying to see if I could still enlist into the military after I finish my probation
Start contacting recruiters and see what they say...

Old 10-09-2015, 03:46 AM

4,706 posts, read 4,819,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil tatro View Post
Hello, Our son is 17 and a junior in high school. He wants to join the army reserves and possibly go active duty later. we want him to look at other branches of the military, Airforce etc.. Does any one have any advice on this? ins and out of the militarys different branches etc? Thank you..

Original posting February of 2012.
I think the kid has chosen a military branch by now.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:31 AM

1,024 posts, read 816,141 times
Air Force. QED.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:30 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,253,259 times
Lois's take on things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmpR5Mrc1B4

Old 05-24-2017, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 315 times
I'm thinking about joining the national guard, at the same time thinking about the reserve. I don't know what's best for me. Any help here ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues