U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 12:16 PM

7,762 posts, read 7,136,256 times

Advertisements

I would investigate the college ROTC programs before going direct into the military. Given the state of things in Iraq and Afghanistan, you may not get the time off between tours overseas in order to attend college back in the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 01:58 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,685,242 times
Thanks for all the help, guys. Yes, I really want to serve my country. I love it to death. I've actually gone to the school guidance counselour to ask some questions about it. We're going to have a visitor from the military at our school for recruitment information so I can ask him some questions, too.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:47 PM

116 posts, read 350,200 times
Hmm why not go to school and do ROTC. That way you will be an officer(enlisted bleh) and get to serve your country later. ALso I wouldn't recommend the Army or Marines especially the Marines.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:59 PM

783 posts, read 2,346,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I'm 16 (17 soon) and I'm thinking about joining the Army and going to Iraq when I graduate. The benefits would be great after my service. But what about educational benefits? If I served in Iraq, would I be given some college acceptance benefits? Thanks for any info.
Join the army because it's a life time experience you wouldn't get any where. You get to serve your country and defend the core values it believes in but benefits after war.. FORGET ABOUT IT. Watch the news , BBC, CBS, and other channels - don't pay som much attention to what CNN reports.

Research ..Research and you would find the answers to your question(s).

Old 09-11-2007, 08:16 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,339,175 times
if you are in scarsdale, I take you are a rich kid

Joining the military is right for you

LOL just kidding

But honestly, if you join the marines, or army there is a chance YOU WILL GO TO IRAQ OR AFGHANISTAN. Are you ready to put your life on the line? You need to take that into consideration.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:25 AM

51,075 posts, read 41,232,457 times
Don't be in a rush to get in the *stuff*, don't think you will be unaffected by it. I recently ran across a letter written by one of my relatives....here is a quote.

"I have seen all the fighting I ever want to see not that I was afraid for positively I was not. But to hear the groans and dying and the “screaming” it is horrible."

This was written during the civil war, I think it's timeless.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:59 AM

5,090 posts, read 9,793,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Thanks for all the help, guys. Yes, I really want to serve my country. I love it to death. I've actually gone to the school guidance counselour to ask some questions about it. We're going to have a visitor from the military at our school for recruitment information so I can ask him some questions, too.
Hey guy,

Been there and done that -- Army enlisted and officer type. Did ROTC with them and more.

Real deal and bottom line upfront -- right now you are ONLY being sold the good side by the recruiters, etc. There is a LOT you are not being told. If I were coaching you, I would tell you NOT to sign and instead do two years in a local community college, you can join after that, and will have higher entry skills and ratings -- better to do a better job, as it were.

I follow that you are interested in being there for duty and need. Good for you and good for US. America is better for having guys like you to be a part. I understand that. I would have done it for free, too.

BUT . . . . right now . . . the whole thing is a mess. The whole Iraq debacle is not something that will be made better by you or anyone else being a part of. But that kind of stuff can and will harm you. And it is not the kind of harm that the Army is much good at fixing.

Wait it out. In two years, we will have a new CIC and most of the mess will be shutdown. Then the Army will need a LOT of good, fresh dedicated soldiers then, because the mess is trashing so many, now.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:54 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,685,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
if you are in scarsdale, I take you are a rich kid

Joining the military is right for you

LOL just kidding

But honestly, if you join the marines, or army there is a chance YOU WILL GO TO IRAQ OR AFGHANISTAN. Are you ready to put your life on the line? You need to take that into consideration.
Well, we aren't that rich. We only got a nice house because it was my grandmother's who gave us a great deal.

I understand there will be a risk, but I'm willing to take it. I don't want to die, but I'll be proud if it's for my country.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:17 PM

666 posts, read 2,615,470 times
I say go for it.

But, have you thought about the National Guard? That way you can still serve, while going to college at the same time. Be aware though, that it seems like you will stand a better chance of going to Iraq in the Guard.

I've currently in the Guard and have been for 15+ years. Currently gearing up to go back overseas, this time though to Iraq.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:49 PM

86 posts, read 226,482 times
Think of other jobs in the military,not everyone carrys a weapon into combat,and some fields have large bonuses.I remember a big need for people who would go to school to learn a foreign language and be an interpreter,with rotc you can become an officer and go to flight school.Either way you need to finish high school and get your diploma,it makes a difference,i know this from experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues