U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:06 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,367,545 times

Advertisements

Here's a hypothetical salary comparison for you. The enlisted section is more likely to change, since it has many more variables. The officer section is standard though ,if I remember correctly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

This is based on serving four years in the USAF. I used it b/c I believe I remembered the typical scheduled promotions correctly. These are based on current salary rates as a enlisted airman or as a commisioned officer.

enlisted
E-1 (6mos); entry to 6 months = $7808 ($1,301/mo. x 6/mos.)
E-2 (1 year???); 6 months to 1.5 years??? = $17508 (1,459/mo. x 12/mos.)
E-3 (1.5 years?); 1.5 years to 3 years? = $28,776 ($1,534/mo x 6/mos.) + ($1631/mo. x 12/mos.)
E-4 (1 year); 3-4 years = $22,596 ($1,883/mo. x 12/mos.)
total earned in four years (excluding BAS/BAH) = $76,688 or an average of $19,172/yr

Commisioned Officer
O-1 (2 years); entry to 2years = $59,256 ($2,469/mo. x 24/mos.)
O-2 (2 years); 2-4 years = $83,640 ($3,239/mo. x 12/mos.) + ($3,731/mo. x 12/mos.)
total earned in four years (excluding BAS/BAH) = $142,896 or an average of $35,724/yr

So, in four years, you would make $66,208 more as a commisioned officer.

You'll get about $80/mo less for food (BAS) as an officer, but make up for it in housing allowance (BAH) should you choose to live off base. You wouldn't receive a clothing allowance as an officer.

Do whatever is best for you; just something to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 10:50 PM

101 posts, read 296,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I'm 16 (17 soon) and I'm thinking about joining the Army and going to Iraq when I graduate. The benefits would be great after my service. But what about educational benefits? If I served in Iraq, would I be given some college acceptance benefits? Thanks for any info.
I can't stop you from doing what your heart desires but I wouldn't want you to enter the military just like that. Get a college education as soon as possible, then work on being an officer in the military. Don't just enlist. Yes, there are benefits in terms of education (I'm not sure about the details anymore), but if you go to college as soon as you graduate high school, you should apply for scholarships (as many as possible!) and financial aid.

Do you still know what you want to be? You seem to be into military/criminal justice? Maybe you can get a criminal justice degree? Oh, like someone said, you can enlist in the National Guard, or the reserves so that you're only working part time. That way you can focus on school, work maybe twice a month and a couple of weeks over the summer

Old 09-17-2007, 04:21 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,685,242 times
Thanks so much, Mike in TN and thisbeatishot. I'll look into the Reserves. I'm thinking about applying for West Point Military Academy. Probably won't get accepted, but it's worth a shot. Thanks again, everybody!

Old 09-17-2007, 04:53 PM

5 posts, read 77,152 times
Listen, i think your best option here is to join the AIR FORCE RESERVE, because after boot camp and tech school training, you'll be working a week end a month and the deployment rate is very low, if you want sign on bonus go AIR NATIONAL GUARD $15,000 and maybe opt for security forces in the reserve also you can go to college while serving your country trust me without been deployed once.
you'll receive from GI BILL and tuition assistance program,in addition if you join the AIR National Guard and attend a State college your tuition will be wave

Old 09-18-2007, 05:58 PM

2,770 posts, read 5,325,796 times
Did Iraq from Dec2004 to Dec2005 and I'm not trying to dissuade you...just make sure it is something you're sure you want to do. Sometimes when you think you know what kind of person you are and what kind of person you want to be, some situations throw it all out of the window. BUT-it isn't impossible, others have done it, and others will do it
Good luck on your choice

Old 09-21-2007, 07:12 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,685,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Did Iraq from Dec2004 to Dec2005 and I'm not trying to dissuade you...just make sure it is something you're sure you want to do. Sometimes when you think you know what kind of person you are and what kind of person you want to be, some situations throw it all out of the window. BUT-it isn't impossible, others have done it, and others will do it
Good luck on your choice
Thanks. Glad you made it back okay! Thanks for serving our country.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:02 AM

15,239 posts, read 27,323,853 times
Had a guy just like you working for me. Great guy, good looking kid, a real American kid. After his tour in Iraq he can't sleep, has so many post traumatic disorders that he is unable to remain employed. He also tried going to school but couldn't do that either. He can't hold a relationship with a girl; he regrets ever being a gung-ho let's join the military because I love my country All American kid. So so sad and tragic. While they dug the shrapnel out of his leg AFTER he returned, they can't erase the damage done to his psyche. He swore it wouldn't happen to him.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:04 AM

36,654 posts, read 44,968,496 times
As the mother of 3 sons who have all joined the Army at one time or another I can tell you to make sure you get whatever your arrangements are (job, signing bonus, etc.) IN WRITING on your contract.

The recruiters will tell you anything to get you to sign up, but unless it's in the contract it's not valid. My youngest son who went in after college was only interested in a specific job and had to walk out of the place 3 times until they gave him what he wanted in writing.

This being said, my oldest is about to retire at 38, and has seen the world, done some amazing things, and now will start a second career with a pension and full medical benefits. Son #2 was in for 6 years, then used the GI Bill for college. It is not enough to cover everything, but it's better than nothing. As someone else said, you do get points on any Civil Service exam if you're ex military.

Lastly, you must realize that you could actually lose your life before it even gets started.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:25 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,367,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
As the mother of 3 sons who have all joined the Army at one time or another I can tell you to make sure you get whatever your arrangements are (job, signing bonus, etc.) IN WRITING on your contract.

The recruiters will tell you anything to get you to sign up, but unless it's in the contract it's not valid.
This might be the best advice offered in this entire thread!

I went in open general - meaning I didn't have a guaranteed job, but I lucked out and got a good job because of my ASVAB scores. Others weren't so lucky.

If you want to know something about any branch of service, it's best to ask someone active duty or a recent discharged veteran. Personally, the only time I recommend spending with recruiters is when you need to sign something. Think of them as used car salesman.

Quote:
Son #2 was in for 6 years, then used the GI Bill for college. It is not enough to cover everything, but it's better than nothing.
Like I mentioned earlier, it should cover most everything assuming one goes to a state school in a state that doesn't have an extremely high COL.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:19 PM

721 posts, read 249,779 times
Go to community college for 2 years. Cheap and after your associates, you go in as a PFC, and if you aren't a dummy, you get your pick of assignments and get a fat sign on bonus.... Guard, not full time Army. My stepdaughter graduates this Friday. Army is paying for her second half of state university and got a sick signing bonus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues