U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:01 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,673,012 times

Advertisements

I'm 16 (17 soon) and I'm thinking about joining the Army and going to Iraq when I graduate. The benefits would be great after my service. But what about educational benefits? If I served in Iraq, would I be given some college acceptance benefits? Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 02:05 PM

2,518 posts, read 7,674,698 times
if you have some schools in mind, call their admissions offices and ask if military service will boost your application. however, i strongly advise against joining the armed forces for "the benefits" unless you have a genuine desire to serve your country on the battlefield. and if you do, God bless you.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:54 PM

86 posts, read 344,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
The benefits would be great
Since you're still in high school, let me relate this to something that I know you've seen. Think about the teachers that look and act like they just hate life. They hand out worksheet after worksheet and they can't wait for the weekend or a day off. Joining the military for the benefits is like teaching for the summers off. You will end up resenting it. I will echo katenik's statement... you should only go into the military if you have a genuine desire to serve your country in that field.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:38 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,697,710 times
There was an article in the Washington Post a couple weeks back about how the education benefits have not kept up with the increased in college tuition and how Soldiers going to school after their service can barely get by. :\

Full article

Old 09-04-2007, 08:51 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,359,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
But what about educational benefits?
I was in the USAF from 2001-2005, and am currently using the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) to attend school, so I think I can answer some questions.

As long as you aren't a moron and opt out of the MGIB to save $1200, you will get $44,100+ ($1,225 * 36 mos.) to go full-time to a regionally accredited school. That's what I receive, and I believe the Army offers larger bonuses than the USAF. The benefits increase yearly as well, and you will receive those benefits, regardless of what they were when you joined. Don't forget, you can still be awarded private scholarships as well.

I just remembered, it might be about $100 less than that each month. I did this "buy-up" thing where I had them withold $600 from my pay, and in return, I receive $5,400 over 36 months ($600 x 9).

Quote:
If I served in Iraq, would I be given some college acceptance benefits?
If you mean will you receive credits for your military service, probably not. I was awarded about 40 credits, but it was all elective credits that didn't mean anything. The only thing that really applied was 1 activity credit that I was given for basic training.

Are you set on the Army? I would recommend deciding on what job you'd like to do, then look at that job in each respective branch of service. There are my differences between the branches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
i strongly advise against joining the armed forces for "the benefits" unless you have a genuine desire to serve your country on the battlefield.
As long as he performs his duties, why do his motives matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
There was an article in the Washington Post a couple weeks back about how the education benefits have not kept up with the increased in college tuition and how Soldiers going to school after their service can barely get by. :\
Iíll admit, I didnít read the article, but I find this statement hard to believe if they are attending a reasonably affordable state school. My tuition and fees at a large state university for this semester, before any scholarships, were $2500. Over this semester I will be awarded $6000 from the MGIB. I pocket quite a bit, and veterans from the Navy and Army often receive more than I do.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:45 PM

186 posts, read 500,030 times
If I had to do it over and if I could go in I would go to the Military. You have to want to go. I work with X Marines and they might be the smartest but their leader ship skills are the best. In the real world Positive attitude, and leadership skills will take you farther than a college education could. Both would be better. Good Luck

Old 09-06-2007, 09:44 AM

786 posts, read 850,276 times
Futurecop.... is your handle indicative of your career plans? If so, I think getting into the Military Police would be a great stepping stone in that career path regardless of other financial incentives that may be offered.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:19 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,390,490 times
Benefits for all military personnel:
Free Medical while in
Montgomery GI Bill
Paid training in a field you can hopefully continue AFTER the military and have YEARS of experience in
Free housing (maybe not the best.. but still)

Downside:
You may be getting paid less than a civi working in the same field
Possibility of being sent to Iraq
Can't just "quit" on a whim

If you Retire:
Free medical for life
Every month you get money
Go in at 18, retire at 38... you could work in same field... or decide to go for a new career.

Personally, I think the military is a great way to start your "adulthood." You can attend college while you are in the military, you get wholesome knowledge of the world by getting stationed outside the U.S.

There are experiences that you can really only get while in the armed forces. I'd say "go for it." But that's just me.. And, make sure you look at the other branches of military instead of just jumping to the army. Look at what the Navy and Air Force might have for you.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:48 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,491,136 times
Dont forget that as a veteran, you get a 10 point bonus when applying for a Federal job. You still have to qualify, but that bounce is often enough to put you at the top of the list. Great place to work by the way in this day of changing benefits.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:19 AM

50,838 posts, read 41,065,834 times
My cousin did the reserves then got called up to Iraq as he was starting work as a cop.

Iraq stressed him enough that he isn't going back to work in law enforcement.

My buddies son is in the crud over there....lost 3 vehicles so far to IED's. He is having trouble sleeping now without meds and is yet to get out.

I would think long and hard about joining the army as Iraq can mess you up. You may want to consider Navy or Air Force in that you can serve your country and have less chance of winding up dead or worse.

I think *some* people having trouble financially for college on the GI bill have too large of expenses....things like way too nice of a car, a motorcycle...etc etc.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues