U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Status: "Never have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed." (set 6 days ago)

22,716 posts, read 14,320,073 times
Default Use of Morse Code in Military Today

My husband is a 72 y.o. Air Force Veteran and he still can tap out anything he wants to in Morse Code. We were talking about Morse Code this evening and I started wondering if it is even taught or used in modern day military. If it is used-under what circumstances?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 06:43 AM
Status: "Never have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed." (set 6 days ago)

22,716 posts, read 14,320,073 times
20 people have looked at this thread and nobody can answer this question? At least tell me where I should look for the answer.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 AM

14,963 posts, read 5,179,805 times
Well, you have to remember....even if those 20 people were in the military, were they all radio/communications?

I cannot give you a straight answer...I never seen it in my 21 years...but whos to say that in the communications branch they don't do it, practice it?

ANd you posted it at 1030 at night after most have went to bed....and then you come in at 830am the next morning....and ask that type of question? Kinda rude actaully.....

Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 AM

21,319 posts, read 26,126,562 times
As an ET (Electronics Technician) on subs, I had to cross-train with Radiomen and Quartermasters. My rate did not require knowledge of morse code, but both of those other rates did. So I learned it.

Last edited by Crew Chief; 02-08-2012 at 10:18 AM..

Old 02-08-2012, 10:21 AM

6,351 posts, read 12,508,505 times
I once heard a humorous bit that involved Morse Code and had the line: "Don't dash off, Dot." as part of it. But, alas, senility is fast approaching and I don't remember the rest of it. Anyone else?

Old 02-09-2012, 03:54 PM

3,117 posts, read 1,535,418 times
I learned CW in IMCO School, San Diego, Ca, US Navy, 1977. It was 12 weeks long and I actually enjoyed it after getting used to it. My best speed was 28 wpm receive and 22 send. I bought a speed key (Vibroplex), for 150 dollars in 1981 and loved that thing. It was stolen so I never replaced it. I think once I retire I'll buy another one and get up on the HAM nets if they are still out there. I rarely used it during my 25 year career. I don't think it is used at all in the Navy, maybe the SEAL's might practice it, but with the advances in telecommunications I would think CW is dead. I got pretty good at code once I got my HAM license. One problem I had in the Navy was we did not get time to practice it, but were required to be good at it. I was glad I never really had to use it very often. I still do the code from time to time while reading.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:40 PM

786 posts, read 758,458 times
As I understand the situation Morse is no longer used by any military organization including US armed forces. One if the last military users was the French Navy who discontinued use in the late 90's.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:52 PM

32 posts, read 134,108 times
In the Air Force, we still learn Morse Code basics as aircrew. Not required to communicate with it, but navigational aids broadcast their identifyer in Morse, so you have to be able to decypher it to determine if it's the correct navaid you're using.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:49 PM

4,919 posts, read 9,264,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerkd1 View Post
In the Air Force, we still learn Morse Code basics as aircrew. Not required to communicate with it, but navigational aids broadcast their identifyer in Morse, so you have to be able to decypher it to determine if it's the correct navaid you're using.
yep, aviation still used Morse Code although today we have equiopment that takes the "morse code signals" and translates it into usable data. So instead of hearing the dots and dashes and having to deciper it, a press of a button and the identifyer is displayed in alpha-numeric form. Our Nav/Com officer can read and send Morse Code. Of course, i understand Morse Code is still a popular communictiosn method in the brig.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:37 PM

16,441 posts, read 16,172,939 times
VOR (VHF omnidirectional radio range) radio navigation systems for aircraft are still in use.
They transmit various signals, one of which is the station's identifier in Morse Code. The identifier is also printed on Sectional Charts (Maps). You can typically hear the Morse Code identifier further away than the voice channel. Depending on the type of flight, some military aircraft may not use the VOR system except perhaps for training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues