U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 06:05 PM

2,665 posts, read 4,688,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in my opinion the best special forces units are the navy seals, russian spetznaz, israeli commandos, and british sas. if i were in a war, these are the people i would call on for special missions that needed to be done quickly and quietly.
Russians and quietly go along together like Russians and AA meetings. It just doesn't add up LOL

Old 02-11-2012, 03:39 PM

Why was this thread moved back here?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:15 AM

254 posts, read 1,052,081 times
My vote has to be for U.S. just based on resources. I don't think any other nation (including politicians) respects their special ops and special mission units as much as the U.S.
The funding, traininig and equipment reflects this commitment to the elite throughout the U.S. military.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMELIFER View Post
My vote has to be for U.S. just based on resources. I don't think any other nation (including politicians) respects their special ops and special mission units as much as the U.S.
The funding, traininig and equipment reflects this commitment to the elite throughout the U.S. military.
Interesting.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 18 days ago)

10,285 posts, read 10,442,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
American forces-more intellectual approach, Russians-tougher training methods.
This right here is key. First off, no American special forces training is easy. Delta, SEAL, Marine Force Recon, TACP...nobody who is in any one of these communities is a push over by any stretch. American special forces training ranks amongst the most physically and psychologically demanding of any in the world. But adding in that extra element of "intellect" is where I believe the Americans have excelled. This is not to say that other forces do not stress this as well, simply that Americans have developed it to a science. Tough training is only effective if it serves a purpose. Developing tough AND smart warriors is vital, especially in these small and independent units.

As I have never lived "One Day in the Life..." (Get my reference? ) I cannot speak to the level of toughness of Russian special forces units. But toughness without direction breeds tough idiots on the battlefield. Historically, the Russian military has a history of tactical blunders and getting showed up by smaller, less armed, and poorly funded forces.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
This right here is key. First off, no American special forces training is easy. Delta, SEAL, Marine Force Recon, TACP...nobody who is in any one of these communities is a push over by any stretch. American special forces training ranks amongst the most physically and psychologically demanding of any in the world. But adding in that extra element of "intellect" is where I believe the Americans have excelled. This is not to say that other forces do not stress this as well, simply that Americans have developed it to a science. Tough training is only effective if it serves a purpose. Developing tough AND smart warriors is vital, especially in these small and independent units.

As I have never lived "One Day in the Life..." (Get my reference? ) I cannot speak to the level of toughness of Russian special forces units. But toughness without direction breeds tough idiots on the battlefield. Historically, the Russian military has a history of tactical blunders and getting showed up by smaller, less armed, and poorly funded forces.
Well, both of them have both the intellectual and training elements, but Americans have more technology to back it up so like you said, it's like a science. Russians are probably not as advanced in that sense. I know US forces training is not easy, I am just saying that the technology/intellectual edge goes to the US, but the actual war/survival training goes to Russians. Not to say, Russians are always just brute, non thinking killing machines, they got smart and efficient people there too who know what they are doing, but the technology wise I am sure they are somewhat behind. This is kinda off topic, but if the US and Russia were to be close allies, they would probably rule the world. Not likely to happen though, they still got beef it seems like.
Fu**n politicians.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:03 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,989,171 times
I could tell you all the secrets to the United States Army's Special Forces but then I'd have to kill you because we don't want the facts in the hands of outsiders.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:25 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,088,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
dont underestimate the spetznaz. their training is in fact quite brutal, even compared to what the seals go through.
Are we considering today's Russia or speaking of the spetznaz of the Soviet era? Are the modern men as good as the pre 1991 fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
The ex spetsnaz guy and the ex green beret both said the same thing like I said in the beginning though. American forces-more intellectual approach, Russians-tougher training methods.
In modern warfare brains plus brawn is going to defeat brawn alone every time. A man could be tough as nails, but it will do him no good if his foe puts a bullet through him from 200 yards away.

It would be safe to say that all of the world's elite units are good, and are very formidable fighting units. However, one big edge that the USA has is battle experience. After years in Iraq and Afghanistan these are very battle hardened, experienced, tough warriors.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Are we considering today's Russia or speaking of the spetznaz of the Soviet era? Are the modern men as good as the pre 1991 fighters?

In modern warfare brains plus brawn is going to defeat brawn alone every time. A man could be tough as nails, but it will do him no good if his foe puts a bullet through him from 200 yards away.

It would be safe to say that all of the world's elite units are good, and are very formidable fighting units. However, one big edge that the USA has is battle experience. After years in Iraq and Afghanistan these are very battle hardened, experienced, tough warriors.
We are considering all. They are still good, it's same methods, but they get more funding now. And like I said, Russians and Israelis been fighting too.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:55 PM

323 posts, read 265,823 times
USA down sizing our military. Thank to our current president! Russia is beefing up theirs. They plan to spend 900 billion. China is doing the same thing. We are doomed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues