U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
Reputation: 46994

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Inserted correct URL, deleted two incorrect URL's


Military Servicemembers at Increased Risk for Eating Disorders - ABC News


Not sure why this page won't connect but it is about West Point female who battled eating disorder and having to be measured regularly. Maybe the link will work later.
I wonder if any female military on here would comment?

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-10-2012 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2012, 09:55 AM
 
2,379 posts, read 4,282,348 times
Reputation: 3402
I'm a former Marine.... I never had an eating disorder myself, and during the time I was in (my 20's) was one of those girls who could eat anything and everything and stay thin. But I can tell you that the pressure to remain in your weight standard can be pretty fierce.

I had a room where we (my roomie and I were both E3's) shared a head (bathroom) with a female sgt (E5)... it was pretty clear that she hd an eating disorder (she would lock the door from her side and we could hear her throwing up). She seemed to isolate herself in other ways - we never saw her go out with friends or anything. I was in her room once and she had huge piles of completed latch hook kits laying around.

I was concerned anought to try and get my platoon sgt to saw aomething to someone (the sgt wasn't in my Company) but he didn't want to get involved. I brought it "up the chain" to my CO and took ALOT of heat for it... but nothing really happened. Shortly afterwards, we quit hearing her in our bathroom but saw her using the bathroom attached to the duty hut alot. A couple of months later , I got married and moved out of the barracks. I still wonder if she ever got the help she needed...

I used to see alot fo people in those rubbery warm-up suits int he sauna at the gym trying to melt off pounds before weigh-ins.

Ironically enough, sometimes the work tempo was such that you ended up with no time for exercise and the chow hall was closed so you'd end up eating fast food (no kitchen in the barracks to prepare your own food)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 10:28 AM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
24,130 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Reputation: 28092
"Are eating disorders more prevalent in military than civilian life?". I don't know, I would guess the answer to that would generally be 'no' I do not think eating disorders are more prevalent in military than civilian life. Military personnel go through a series medical exams when entering, a lot of people not allowed military service because of medical conditions, but then the article says "Mounting evidence suggests that eating disorders are higher among service members than among civilians." and then "While there's not enough substantial data collected to" so... In my 22+ years of active duty followed by 10 years of involvement I have seen alcohol and drug abuse become an issue. Bad backs, injuries, and overweight become issues. Broken marriages, finances etc were issues for others. I knew three people in three different units who commited suicide...

A semi interesting article, which someone had to write, but life is a large array of various hardships, from Lara Salahi, the author of the article, perhaps just another journalist assignment?

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-10-2012 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,722 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Reputation: 17560
I do not know about females having that issue. In my career I had very limited exposure to military females. Most commands I served on had no females. However I have worked with a lot of men, who fought very hard to stay within the weight limits set by the military.

Deep-fried food, canned food, was always available to us; 'fresh food' was always a rarity [like fruits or veggies].

I knew many guys who had to attend nutrition classes and counseling about their weight. Most of them got upset because none of the foods they learned about in their classes were available in the mess-decks. At each command I served at, there was always a group like that. Going through that process. And at each command there were very few, who ever managed to conquer their weight. Most got kicked-out eventually.

I have had dozens of friends who were booted out because of their weight.

I have also known a good number of men who stored up large amounts of various powdered junk, drink mixes, shakes, and whatnot in the hope that one of those gimmicks would help them to lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 10:37 AM
 
2,379 posts, read 4,282,348 times
Reputation: 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I do not know about females having that issue. In my career I had very limited exposure to military females. Most commands I served on had no females. However I have worked with a lot of men, who fought very hard to stay within the weight limits set by the military.

Deep-fried food, canned food, was always available to us; 'fresh food' was always a rarity [like fruits or veggies].

I knew many guys who had to attend nutrition classes and counseling about their weight. Most of them got upset because none of the foods they learned about in their classes were available in the mess-decks. At each command I served at, there was always a group like that. Going through that process. And at each command there were very few, who ever managed to conquer their weight. Most got kicked-out eventually.

I have had dozens of friends who were booted out because of their weight.

I have also known a good number of men who stored up large amounts of various powdered junk, drink mixes, shakes, and whatnot in the hope that one of those gimmicks would help them to lose weight.
I had two sgts in my command who actually did eat their way out of the Marine Corps. (Put on weight on purpose in order to get discharged)

The Chow Hall has gotten better over the years - salad bars and such but it's still a challenge to eat healthy . My first school was several months long and cars weren't authorized. My first duty station I lived in the barracks, didn't have a car and the commissary was on the other side of the base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,722 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Reputation: 17560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
... The Chow Hall has gotten better over the years - salad bars and such but it's still a challenge to eat healthy .
I served on subs [1977 - 2001]

There is little fresh fruit, and usually no salad bar on subs.

Last edited by Submariner; 02-10-2012 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 12:12 PM
 
Location: TX and NM on the border of the Great Southwest.
11,769 posts, read 15,788,877 times
Reputation: 22423
Ha! Back when I was in the AF (68-72), I was nearly underweight. However, I knew at least two fellows who were held back in basic training and forced to lose weight. I seem to recall the name of their former squadron as MREPs but can't remember what that stood for. When these poor guys were finally moved into our regular squadron, they both looked like balloons that had been inflated then rapidly deflated. If I had been through what those guys went through, I would be having nightmares about living in these days of political correctness regarding weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 12:18 PM
 
3,266 posts, read 4,774,771 times
Reputation: 1329
The lack of a communal kitchen in the barracks is a huge problem the lower ranks in the military faces. When I went through ET school, which was over a year long, the school day conflicted with the galley schedule. My first part of the school was 12 to 6 Monday through Friday. Galley closed at 6:30, it was a 2 mile walk to the galley. We always showed up right at closing time and they were out of the evening meal so for 6 months I was served mashed potatoes and gravy, one canned vegetable, and a frozen chicken patty, and the remains of the salad bar. Breakfast and lunch were ok, but the 12 miles a day walking made going to the galley less than int-icing where Mickey D's was a block from the dorms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,722 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Reputation: 17560
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
The lack of a communal kitchen in the barracks is a huge problem the lower ranks in the military faces. When I went through ET school, which was over a year long, the school day conflicted with the galley schedule. My first part of the school was 12 to 6 Monday through Friday. Galley closed at 6:30, it was a 2 mile walk to the galley. We always showed up right at closing time and they were out of the evening meal so for 6 months I was served mashed potatoes and gravy, one canned vegetable, and a frozen chicken patty, and the remains of the salad bar. Breakfast and lunch were ok, but the 12 miles a day walking made going to the galley less than int-icing where Mickey D's was a block from the dorms.
LOL

I remember in my 'A' and 'C' schools that happening as well. We did get out of school in time to get to the galley for lunch, but not for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 12:27 PM
 
4,919 posts, read 19,120,969 times
Reputation: 6171
I have known many a female service person from US militray to many foreign militaries and I do not see this article as a militray issue versus non militray. It sounds like the typical self awarness over physical shape that can hit any feamale from a cheerleader, to a secretary, to a model, to a dance teacher to a militray person. The artical to me was screaming how that person viewed themself personally and in respect to the image they are expected to portray, and you could subsitute thousands of civilian jobs and still have the same story.

Personally, I find that US military females are in much better physical shape than their civilian counterparts. I also find that in some foreign countries, their females are under greater pressure to portray the uniform in a flattering way. truth is if I was to go to a militray base and selected 100 random femalesand went to a civilian company and selected 100 random females, odds are the militray ones will have much better overall physically fit, shaped, and appealing bodies from those civilian ones. Oh there may be some knock-outs in the civilian world who spend the money and time on making themself look hot, but militray women tend to have more naturally good looking bodies.

So this article really could be about a ivy league coed, or a rising female business vice-president, or a front office receptionist for a glamor magazine. I don;t think its the militray as the cause, it was the expectation of all involved about that females appearence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top