U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which made you join?
Money for College 7 8.24%
Benefits (Health, Dental, etc.) 7 8.24%
Skills Training 17 20.00%
Life Skills (Friendships, Discipline, etc.) 13 15.29%
Looking for a challenge, change of pace 19 22.35%
Always wanted to (or) family heritage 18 21.18%
All of the above 11 12.94%
Drafted 6 7.06%
None of the above 23 27.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,027,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooua View Post
That is hilarious! So "Catch-22"!

Yep. Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 03:26 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I went in with a buddy and selecteed Germany

I retired without ever seeing Germany and my Buddy never showed up
Boompa, it's funny how things work out... Actually, one of my biggest reasons for enlisting was to get away from home. My second PCS was to a base 50 miles from home. So I reenlisted to get away AGAIN! Actually, I had never, in my wildest dreams, envisioned myself in aircraft maintenance. Twenty-three years later, I couldn't have imagined myself in any other Air Force Specialty Code!

If you haven't been at the end of the runway when an F-4 or F-15 takes off in afterburner, you've missed out...

Old 03-03-2012, 05:52 PM

135 posts, read 147,227 times
Hello.

England 1989 (i'm English btw).. I was queueing up to see an Alien/Aliens double bill at the local cinema when someone came out and said it was cancelled due to a fault with something so i decided to head home.
It was raining hard and i passed my local recruitment office on the way. It had a sign out the front saying that it was giving free tea if you went in and talked to them. I had 20 mins to wait for my bus so i thought a cuppa would be good.

9 months later i was part of Desert Shield and 22 years later i left. So, you could say i joined the Army because it was raining .

Old 03-03-2012, 06:42 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,027,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibarfast View Post
Hello.

England 1989 (i'm English btw).. I was queueing up to see an Alien/Aliens double bill at the local cinema when someone came out and said it was cancelled due to a fault with something so i decided to head home.
It was raining hard and i passed my local recruitment office on the way. It had a sign out the front saying that it was giving free tea if you went in and talked to them. I had 20 mins to wait for my bus so i thought a cuppa would be good.

9 months later i was part of Desert Shield and 22 years later i left. So, you could say i joined the Army because it was raining .

That sounds like it was a Devine Appointment, doesn't it?

Old 03-04-2012, 06:06 PM

432 posts, read 766,613 times
For me none of the choices listed. Granted same are great perks that come with being in the military.

For me personally it's like the family business. My Great-Grandfather, Grandfather, father, and all my uncles were active duty Air Force. Exception being Great-Grandfather who was Army, as there was no Air Force back then as a branch. At the peak we had 6 of us Active Duty at the same time.

I grew up traveling and seeing the world. Which shaped me into who I am today. No matter where we lived even the worst of places like Cannon, my dad made sure we got out and experienced all there was to see. Figure that's the reason I'm such a travel junky to this day. So a big reason I joined was for travel and moving quite a bit. Can't get enough of it, cause it's all I've ever known.

Lastly I'd say it's about a sense of duty. My father and family never encouraged me to join, it was my life for me to do what I wanted with. Granted I'm sure they hoped I might one day follow their lead, there was never any pressure to do so. Guess it was just my calling and fate in the end.

So top 3 reasons
- Sense of duty
- Travel
- Family

Edit* Well looked over the family heritage choice, but that wasn't my only driving force.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:11 PM

960 posts, read 1,819,111 times
I was an Army brat, my dad, two of his brothers and one sister were Army and another brother was a Marine.
The Navy was on my horizon from a very young age so it was bellbottom pants and a dixie cup for me.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:17 AM

645 posts, read 1,736,544 times
I had a job but I wanted a career.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:27 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,351,136 times
My mother passed away when I was 5. My father remarried when I was 15. My stepmother made me very aware that I wasn't welcome at home anymore. Joined on my 17th birthday. Back then they said "it's not a job, it's an adventure"

Old 03-11-2012, 09:49 AM

129 posts, read 211,018 times
I did my online application yesterday and will be meeting with a recruit this week. I enlisted in the navy for a change of pace, to get my education paid for, the life skills (including the camraderie and friends), and definitely to be able to push myself and travel.

My dad was so happy when I told him as he had wanted at least one of his boys to join some kind of service (he was a Marines man).

Old 03-18-2012, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,561 times
Drafted in spring '67 after graduating college. At the end of basic training (60%-70% of the BCT company were college graduates), just about anyone who had not enlisted for a specific MOS got orders for 11C (Mortarman) AIT at Ft Polk LA (aka 'Little Viet Nam).
However, an 'alternative' was offered:
We (about 20 of us, all of whom "scored very well" on the AFQT) could re-enlist now and go to 26-30 weeks of technical training in electronics.
Hey, why not? What else would you do with a sociology major who wouldn't know an electron tube from an inner tube?
An additional year in the Army, as a field radio repairman vs. the likelihood of fewer additional years anywhere. No-brainer - ruse or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues