U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which made you join?
Money for College 7 8.24%
Benefits (Health, Dental, etc.) 7 8.24%
Skills Training 17 20.00%
Life Skills (Friendships, Discipline, etc.) 13 15.29%
Looking for a challenge, change of pace 19 22.35%
Always wanted to (or) family heritage 18 21.18%
All of the above 11 12.94%
Drafted 6 7.06%
None of the above 23 27.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:19 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,145,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
I've never heard that Urban Legend. I was speaking from personal experience.
I knew a number of guys that I was in the Marine Corps with that were influenced by a Judges recommendation to join the service. I'm not talking about major crimes, just typical stupid stuff that the young men who are full of testosterone and short on brains get into.

Where I lived you would pay a hundred bucks to someone who arrainged for the file cards that would lead you to their file to disappear. The record was still there but no one could find them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 09:19 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,027,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Mostly an Urban Legend, in fact I had to have my record deleted to get in the Army in 61. The fact was that no employer would hire you until you had fulfilled your military obligation, either by serving or being disqualified. They didn't want to be tied to keeping your job while you were serving. The draft was no joke. Look at Elvis, or Charlie Johnson, who was QB of the St Louis Cardinals when he was drafted

No, it's a little more than just an urban legend. I had high school buddies who were offered the choice of criminal charges or the Army for offenses such as drug possession, breaking and entering, vandalism, assault. I served with some too. And, my brother in law was a Marine recruiter in Dallas during the late 60's and will tell you to this day that he could always make his monthly quota at the Dallas County jail.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:26 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,145,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No, it's a little more than just an urban legend. I had high school buddies who were offered the choice of criminal charges or the Army for offenses such as drug possession, breaking and entering, vandalism, assault. I served with some too. And, my brother in law was a Marine recruiter in Dallas during the late 60's and will tell you to this day that he could always make his monthly quota at the Dallas County jail.
I said "MOSTLY an Urban Legend" I don't dobt that there were incidences but it was not nearly as widespread as is attributed to it. Believe what you want.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:50 PM

131 posts, read 205,431 times
I considered it a patriotic duty to my county (not to any political organization). I was 17, and 17 year olds are not very wise.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:22 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,493,009 times
Quote:
Yup, I went to basic training with a guy who was given the choice of joining the Army or Jail. And this was in 2009. So it does happen, though I think it's a very very specific case by case basis.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:57 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,763,052 times
Quote:

Jimi Hendrix actually served by this same token as well.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:02 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,566,856 times
I know of a 75yo retired Gunny who was given the option of joining or jail when he stole a car back in the 60s. Boompa, look at this way, it had to be widespread enough that made a law against it, and even then judges would still find a way around it.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:42 PM

6,076 posts, read 10,736,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr00th View Post
Out of curiosity, what or whom made you decide to give up your civilian life to become a military personnel?

Thanks for fighting on our behalf, God Bless you all.
My family has been in and around the military in one manor or another and in every war since this great nation of ours was formed by the Founding Fathers.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 PM

833 posts, read 1,416,167 times
Drafted into the Navy in October of 65.
Served with squadrons ( VR-8, VAH-123 and VA-128)

I never was aboard ship as my sea duty period was about to start when my 2 year obligated service ended.

I never got assigned mess cooking or compartment cleaning either.
I couldn't have asked for better duty for those 2 years.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 AM

986 posts, read 1,133,668 times
In the late 60s the draft was still in full swing! A few of my friends, my girlfriend's brother and high school classmates who were drafted in the Army never came back from Vietnam!
So, I joined the Air Force and worked on C-141 & C-5 cargo aircraft transports overseas in support of the Vietnam crisis until the fall of Saigon up until the invasion of Iraq until I retired after 30 yrs of service, 12 yrs active duty and 18 yrs with the Air Force Reserves and as a Civil Service employee working on the same planes when I first enlisted in the Air Force in 1967, pretty old planes, but still flying except for the C-141s!
Attachment 95613 Attachment 95614

Last edited by Art2ro; 06-02-2012 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues