U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-17-2012, 07:11 AM

323 posts, read 386,659 times
Default Naval History Question

This is probably the wrong area of the Forum to ask this question, and if it is perhaps someone can redirect me.

I am researching Naval History from World War One and World War Two. I have used google search and ask.com and have found nothing that can answer this question. So I am hoping one of our naval vets or navy researchers can help.

On many of the Battleship, Battlecruisers, Heavy and Light Armored Cruisers etc., there are two anchors on the starboard side of the bow and only one on the port side. Does anyone know the reason for the double anchors.

Thanks in advance.

Bansidhbabe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM

931 posts, read 700,165 times
Still working on this research project for over two years now? Quite a project!

Old 02-17-2012, 01:31 PM

828 posts, read 699,190 times
Usually as a spare or during stormy weather they could lower the third anchor to hold it. Most ports they would dock on the port side so they would use the double anchors on the starboard side.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:54 PM

12,433 posts, read 7,506,930 times
Thank you BoxCar Willie! I just spent about a half hour online with the library's know-it-now person, and couldn't come up with anything. That totally makes sense.

Here is another conversation about it.

Third anchor in Battleship Vs Battleship Forum but no real answers

Old 02-17-2012, 09:55 PM

Thanks for your responses. It makes sense that it would be used during rough weather.

I love Naval History. My whole bedroom wall is filled with pictures of battleships, aircraft carriers, troop transports, armored cruisers and so on. I have to keep rearranging them every time I print off another. But it never ends. And it's great.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:53 PM

This has become one of the most amusing questions I have ever come up with.

My dad, who served in the British Army, spoke to a member at the Royal Canadian Legion who served on the Tribal class destroyer HMCS Haida and this guy had absolutely no idea what the second anchor was for.

Bansidhbabe

Old 02-18-2012, 08:20 PM

9,851 posts, read 3,431,725 times
I think Boxcar got it right. Bower and Sheet Anchors. A ships largest anchors are called "bower anchors" They are used for anchoring or mooring the ship and are stowed one on each bow in a "hawspipe".

A spare bower anchor, called the "sheet anchor" is carried in some larger ships for use in emergency. It is usually stowed in a hawspipe on the starboard bow, just aft of the starboard bower anchor.

Hope this helps. These massive ships needed some heavy tackle to keep them under control, should the need arise. The reason why the extra anchor was placed port or starboard is beyond me.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:58 AM

Soupson1 and Boxcar thanks you so much for your answers. I have asked many naval vets that question and received many blank stares in return. I LOVE naval history and can talk about it for hours and I am so HAPPY to get an answer to that question that makes sense.

Bansidhbabe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues