U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 06:23 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,828,716 times

Advertisements

For those not aware, it looks like Panetta has made a proposal to raise annual Tricare fees. The fees will be based upon retirement rank. For all, the government is proposing a pretty significant hike in annual fees and hospital visits. The Tricare increases really gets under my skin because this enlisted check does not cover much.

At the same time, the government is trying to establish a BRAC commission. For those retirees, living in and around military bases, I pay particular attention to this situation. The move to establish BRAC is understandable because admittedly we do have several bases.

Given the current economic picture, I totally understand the cuts. I personally would like to see cuts in other areas, i.e. limit PSC moves, reduce European bases, consolidate more into Joint bases...anymore ideas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 08:43 AM

29,752 posts, read 47,576,640 times
I chose not to live near an Active Duty base. So far we have found that we really like it this way.

To my understanding a great deal of money is spent on paying for over-seas bases in places that we no longer fight wars. Italy, Greece, Germany, Japan. Also we have bases in areas where the locals should be able to take care of themselves: like Korea. All of those bases should be shut down.

Our military industrial complex is huge and with their own lobbyists they influence policy. That needs serious trimming, before any servicemembers get trimmed.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:49 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,179,594 times
Heaven forbid they cut some of these boondoggle weapons that we will never use projects and use that money on Personnel. Tricare for Life has been good to me being near a base ensures all of the local doctors are Tricare dependent. I have noticed a marked increase in the use of the Pharmacies since they raised the copays

Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 AM

519 posts, read 1,828,387 times
How about they stop paying BAS for troops deployed or in the field? The regs are currently not enforced, but should be, IMHO.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:38 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,179,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
How about they stop paying BAS for troops deployed or in the field? The regs are currently not enforced, but should be, IMHO.
Their families are already on Food Stamps, you would drive them further into poverty? We could cut the number of Generals in half and still have twice as many as we need. Close the Golf courses and sell them off

Old 02-19-2012, 01:29 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,406,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Their families are already on Food Stamps, you would drive them further into poverty?
Not all junior enlisted families are on food stamps. When you consider many of them get quarters on-post free, some that *are* on food stamps probably shouldn't be.

From personal experience: some soldiers have literally 4-5 kids by the time they are about 6-7 years in, and then publicly wonder why they don't make more money and need public assistance. I have to ask: would someone who is 25 years old on the outside working at an entry-level job have done that? Maybe. But unscientifically and only in my observation, not at the rate I have seen soldiers who have not yet made Sergeant do it.

The current "golden handcuffs" approach of great benefits and mediocre salary maybe could be reversed to be a great salary and mediocre benefits, but then people would get just as much into a tizzy about how we're screwing the soldiers by not giving them a free house when they get married.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:43 PM

24,167 posts, read 38,993,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
From personal experience: some soldiers have literally 4-5 kids by the time they are about 6-7 years in
Sorry, I just do not agree with you on that based on my actual experience of being a soldier for 22+ years, 10 years as a contractor dealing with U.S. Military Personnel, and 10+ years volunteering about one day a week with Military/Veteran/JROTC groups.

Please, I would like to see some verifiable data on your claim.

Rich

Old 02-19-2012, 02:39 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,406,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Sorry, I just do not agree with you on that based on my actual experience of being a soldier for 22+ years, 10 years as a contractor dealing with U.S. Military Personnel, and 10+ years volunteering about one day a week with Military/Veteran/JROTC groups.

Please, I would like to see some verifiable data on your claim.

Rich
It's personal verifiable data (not 'personal' in that I can't release it, my own personal experience). Just sent a DM with the cases I saw.

Not every soldier is on food stamps. Not every soldier has more kids than they need. But not every soldier on food stamps is virtuous and careful with their money.

I have 22+ active years in myself, and yes, it does happen. So our actual experience differs. Your experience doesn't invalidate mine; mine doesn't invalidate yours. It just means each of us saw different things.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:49 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,516,094 times
Unfortunately vets are easy targets. Do we really need 11 aircraft carriers or a new fighter (f35), when the chances of a fire fight with enemy aircraft are slim to none? We don't use a fraction of our capabilities. Too bad Washington won't target cuts from the big contractors like Lockheed, Raytheon, Boeing etc., too much kickback money to the lobbyists to target them. Close bases overseas where they are no longer needed and stop giving away billions to foreign countries every year. Cut off all medical care to illegals before you start breaking promises to vets.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:21 PM

180 posts, read 327,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Close bases overseas where they are no longer needed and stop giving away billions to foreign countries every year. Cut off all medical care to illegals before you start breaking promises to vets.
Good proposals all. In addition, STOP wasting SO much money on fancy buildings (especially the Air Force). And STOP spending all year-end money on wasteful things!!!!

Regarding Tricare..... I wonder how Congress could justify quadrupling fees for most retirees, while leaving their own gold-plated healthcare plans untouched????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues