U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 05:07 PM

513 posts, read 1,853,324 times

Advertisements

I'm usually not much for pointless threads..but..bein' home with a bum leg for another month or so...what the he!!..Okay, how many branches have you served in? Now, to elaborate a bit, this includes all 4 branches(Active Duty), plus the USCG. This also includes the (5) Reserves, the (2) National Guards..Army/Air. I'll even add, for the heck of it, any state militia that actually drills regularly. The only rule here...you had to be actively participating. Inactive Reserve time don't count. So...I suppose, someone out there could have served (example) Active Army, then ArmyNG, then maybe Army Reserve IRR( but you drilled a minimum number of days)...then got totally out/retired..then volunteered for a state Guard unit..that would give this person a 4 on our scale here. Give it a go. Best I've heard of over my years was 5. Against my better judgement..I'll even include completion of one of the fancy shmancy military prep schools..lol.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 06:06 PM

2,633 posts, read 2,961,848 times
Previously Active Duty in the Air Force (12 years),
Now in the Selected Reserve (2 years) as a TR.

At some point I may transfer into the National Guard (either AGR or TR), and be the Total Force koolaid-drinker...

Old 02-26-2012, 07:15 PM

519 posts, read 1,555,090 times
Active Duty Marines, Selected Reserves Marines, IRR in the Marines. Now I'm in the Air National Guard. And not sure if this counts but I did wear Army ACUs as a DAC (Department of Army Civilian).

After my time in the Air Guard, I'm thinking about either going Army National Guard or Navy Reserves to complete my 20 years.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:15 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,391,959 times
4:

USMA
Army IRR, Called up and served in uniform, full time, during Gulf I
ARNG
Regular Army

How about serving in both BDUs and ACUs? Is that worth 1/2 point?

Old 02-26-2012, 08:42 PM

11,987 posts, read 10,678,285 times
Three for me, and I've only been active duty Army: BDUs, ACUs and Multicam. I think we're getting a new uniform soon too, so that will make it four.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:22 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,027,829 times
Three: Active Army, Army Reserves, National Guard.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:18 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
Just one; Active Duty USAF. Mostly fatigues then BDUs but every now & then I put on Blues for some "mandatory fun" function.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:05 AM

513 posts, read 1,853,324 times
Sounds morbid...but what would they put on our military grave marker? The first branch?...What if you did active duty in more than 1 branch? Of course...it's not like we can stop back at a later time and check it out...lol.. As for the 1/2 point for wearing 2 different uniforms for the same branch?...the judges weighed in on this.........sorry-no....."but thank you for your service".

Old 02-28-2012, 11:35 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
Sounds morbid...but what would they put on our military grave marker? The first branch?...What if you did active duty in more than 1 branch? Of course...it's not like we can stop back at a later time and check it out...lol.. As for the 1/2 point for wearing 2 different uniforms for the same branch?...the judges weighed in on this.........sorry-no....."but thank you for your service".
Tioga, I'm guessing that the Mortuary Affairs folks at the closest military installation could probably advise you. And I'm guessing they've had that situation arise before... Maybe it'd even be a good "peace of mind" detail to take care of before you go!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:52 AM

24,130 posts, read 38,859,608 times
The Department of Veterans Affairs provides headstones and markers for the graves of veterans and eligible dependents of veterans buried in national, state veteran or federal cemeteries. Flat bronze, flat granite, flat marble and upright marble types are available to mark the grave of a veteran or dependent in the style consistent with existing monuments at the place of burial. Markers also are available for the internment of cremated remains.

Headstones and markers are inscribed with the name of the deceased, the years of birth and death, and branch of service. Optional items that also may be inscribed at VA expense are: military grade, rank or rate; war service (such as "World War II"); months and days of birth and death; an emblem reflecting one's beliefs; valor awards received; and the Purple Heart. Additional items may be inscribed at private expense.

More information and an application form (VA Form 40-1330, Application for Standard Government Headstone or Marker) are available here: Headstones, Markers and Medallions - Burial and Memorial Benefits

I already have instructions for mine...

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues