U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,884,086 times

Advertisements

Should have been an AGR then huh? I hear ya brother, we're all getting the big purple ART ---k shoved down our pocketbooks.

I'm afraid you're out of luck. ART is a civil service position. The military portion of that position is no different than being a Traditional Reservist, which means you don't get to claim EAD orders to get out from under a lease. Again, another reason why ART sucks compared to AGR or even straight civilian civil service employment....Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:21 AM

4,919 posts, read 19,134,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightnurse613 View Post
No, I think he was saying he's NOT getting ANY protection from the law??
Because the law does not apply to civilian employees.

ART's are federal Title 5 CIVILIAN employees. Until such time as they are Called-up for Military Reserve Duty, they are civilian employees of the US Air Force. Their Reserve status is fore the benefit of Air Force command ability to deploy them as militray personnel when needed and enables the US Air Force to authorize them to wear military uniforms while performing their civilian defense employment.

Where an ART decides to work is their decission and is not a "command" from their military service. Only when the reservist is called up willt he law apply, until it's a militray order as a service member (not as the civilian employee) the law does not apply. Complicated it is, but you can't go around promoting breaking laws because you don't like that another law doesn;t apply to you.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:05 PM

6,220 posts, read 7,403,050 times
In light of new information herewith presented by people who seem to know the difference between military and civilian employment, I withdraw my suggestion that you play the "poor pitiful me" card on the local news station. And I strongly suspect that you (OP) knew when you posted what your status is, militarily-speaking.

This is the second thread today that I have visited, only to be taken in by omissions of fact in the OP. It's more than tiresome.

A very close family member of mine is an employee of the DOD on a military installation, but he is not a member of any service. No military perks apply, except for one young lady who saw his DOD ID card and spotted him a discount on amusement park ride tickets.

Throw yourself on the mercy of the apartment management and good luck.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:23 PM

32 posts, read 117,527 times
Thanks to everyone who replied with their advice. I dropped by the apartment complex yesterday and spoke with the apartment manager face to face to try and negotiate a lower fee, or no fee to break the lease.

The manager is going to speak to corporate to see what can be done after I explained to her that I will have to REENLIST into the ANG in ANOTHER STATE. I'm switching from the AFR to the ANG. Two seperate branches of the Air Force. I'm hoping that saying the magic word REENLIST will cause corporate to drop the fees.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:08 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,134,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hou17 View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied with their advice. I dropped by the apartment complex yesterday and spoke with the apartment manager face to face to try and negotiate a lower fee, or no fee to break the lease.

The manager is going to speak to corporate to see what can be done after I explained to her that I will have to REENLIST into the ANG in ANOTHER STATE. I'm switching from the AFR to the ANG. Two seperate branches of the Air Force. I'm hoping that saying the magic word REENLIST will cause corporate to drop the fees.
You do know that there is a new Verification service available to businesses that may have a person claiming something under the act? They just punch in your informtion and it tells them if you are covered.

For active duty, it simply verifies that you have orders or a situationt hat meets the requirmenst.

For Reserve it states if you have orders that meets the requirments and it states if you have orders that do not meet the regulations. This was added as many reservist mistake some types of orders as being covered when they are not. The idea if for the business to tell you they are aware of the order but its not covered. This is to reduce the number of complaints filed that are groundless.

For Guard service, it will list the federal service orders that are covered but so far, the state ordes that are covered are not available. This is due to some states not havingt he ability or authrity to relase that infromation to the clearinghouse.

Now, many PMC's have adopted a policy to work something out instead of fighting you on it. one it cost them money and getting some small amount now versus the full amount minuse cost later, well its not worth it.

Many simple figure fighting you on it and winning just gets them the money owed but to you, heck its a civil judgement now on your record. that can cause problems with your militray service. PLUS, its a offense of the act to fraudlently use it to get out of legitimate owed money. So they get money but it really screws you over, especially since often times its just a mistaken understanding of the act.

But, before jaming yourself up if they don;t let you out, have you checked your state laws about early terminations? There may be some state law about this added for your benefit or there may be a limit as to what they can charge.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 PM

3,282 posts, read 4,781,312 times
Also check in the renting forum here on the board...

Most states enforce one month + reasonable advertising+length of time it takes to re-rent the apartment, not some magical # they pulled out of their butt. 3000k is excessive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues