U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,741 posts, read 47,547,485 times
Reputation: 17595

Advertisements

"You can take a girl out from a party but you can not take the party out from a girl." During my career I have known way too many guys who tried. They met girls when we were in port, that they LOVED, and partied with and just thought the world of. But when we deployed, .... Few of those relationships lasted deployment.

I met a girl who was not into partying. She was a business-woman, in the same church, very conservative. After a deployment she was still interested me in and had not found someone else.

'We' began buying apartment complexes, with her managing them, at each duty station. That was our investment vehicle.

Not all of them were complete successes. In total we collected four properties, scattered in four different regions [three states and one overseas].

We made some mistakes along the way. But in the end, we bought a farm for us to retire onto with cash [no debt].

There are possible investments that you can make during a military career; that can do well for you.

As an enlistedman, it is not unreasonable to project for you to have a $1Million Net Worth at the end of a 20-year career.

On the other hand, at least 9 out of 10 marriages do not survive repeated deployments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2012, 01:09 AM
 
Location: portland for now
83 posts, read 131,047 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
"You can take a girl out from a party but you can not take the party out from a girl." During my career I have known way too many guys who tried. They met girls when we were in port, that they LOVED, and partied with and just thought the world of. But when we deployed, .... Few of those relationships lasted deployment.

I met a girl who was not into partying. She was a business-woman, in the same church, very conservative. After a deployment she was still interested me in and had not found someone else.

'We' began buying apartment complexes, with her managing them, at each duty station. That was our investment vehicle.

Not all of them were complete successes. In total we collected four properties, scattered in four different regions [three states and one overseas].

We made some mistakes along the way. But in the end, we bought a farm for us to retire onto with cash [no debt].

There are possible investments that you can make during a military career; that can do well for you.

As an enlistedman, it is not unreasonable to project for you to have a $1Million Net Worth at the end of a 20-year career.

On the other hand, at least 9 out of 10 marriages do not survive repeated deployments.
Thanks again for the advise I really appreciate it. I've thought of being career but, again i'm not really sure. I view the marines as more of a calling and something I want to do for four years before moving on to something later. That being said a lot can change and I very well might end up going career I just honeslty don't know yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 12,829,779 times
Reputation: 2474
Based on food, entertaining,driving,etc...I don't think so. You would pretty much have to be on bas, baq and take every tdy mission with hazard pay that comes up and never go out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 10:32 PM
 
Location: portland for now
83 posts, read 131,047 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Based on food, entertaining,driving,etc...I don't think so. You would pretty much have to be on bas, baq and take every tdy mission with hazard pay that comes up and never go out.
well if 40,000's to high would 20,000 atleast be reasonable. It's not the reason i'm going in but, i'm curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 10:51 PM
 
2,633 posts, read 2,965,646 times
Reputation: 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdrifter View Post
Thanks again for the advise I really appreciate it. I've thought of being career but, again i'm not really sure. I view the marines as more of a calling and something I want to do for four years before moving on to something later. That being said a lot can change and I very well might end up going career I just honeslty don't know yet.
Don't forget the third option: going into the Reserves. Until the time for that decision comes, however, make the best of your experiences in the USMC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 10:52 PM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
24,153 posts, read 38,951,247 times
Reputation: 28147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Based on food, entertaining,driving,etc...I don't think so. You would pretty much have to be on bas, baq and take every tdy mission with hazard pay that comes up and never go out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Right now Basic Pay for an E-1 with over 4 months service is $1,491 per month. If you don't get promoted in those four years (which is hard to do) you will have drawn $71,568 in basic pay. There are other pay benefits.

Is it possible? Yes. Is it probable? It is up to you.

Rich
Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS) - BAS is meant to offset costs for a member's meals. Beginning on January 1 2002, all enlisted members get full BAS, but pay for their meals. Because BAS is intended to provide meals for the service member, its level is linked to the price of food. Therefore, each year it is adjusted based upon the increase of the price of food as measured by the USDA food cost index. The following Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS) rates are the new rates effective Jan. 1, 2009. Enlisted Members $323.87/month

Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) began in January 1998. It replaced the Variable Housing Allowance (VHA), and Basic Allowance for Quarters (BAQ). BAH is based on geographic duty location, pay grade, and dependency status. If you do not draw BAH, quarters are provided.

Once again: "Is it possible? Yes. Is it probable? It is up to you."

You will be given a place to live, money for food (both tax free) and perhaps additional pays depending on your duties/location. If you never get promoted your base pay will be $1,491 per month, which is about $9.32 per hour...


Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top