U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 329 times

Advertisements

Hello..I have a BCD. Discharged back in 2000. Served 3 yrs. Can you help? How do I up grade and/or check if I can still receive GI Bill?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 12:13 PM

3,420 posts, read 1,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rometheory View Post
Hello..I have a BCD. Discharged back in 2000. Served 3 yrs. Can you help? How do I up grade and/or check if I can still receive GI Bill?

Thanks!

GI Bill benefits are only available to those with an honorable discharge. Even those with a general discharge under honorable conditions are not eligible for the GI Bill. And with a BCD, you definitely are not eligible for any GI Bill benefits.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:45 PM

7,365 posts, read 7,693,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rometheory View Post

Thanks!
Contact a Veteran Service Organization, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand's office or Sen. Thom Tillis' office. Ask them where to get information about the Defense Departments review of discharges known as "Bad Paper" discharges. Those U.S. Senators were the ones instrumental in getting the review, so they have been on top of this.

Just like what occurred with the USAF after the Vietnam War, the Defense Department is reviewing the staggering number of non-"Honorable Discharge" issued. With the prior USAF review, they found thousands of questionable General Discharges from airmen who served is South East Asia (compared to all other areas) and ultimately determined many were given General Discharges that were undeserved. In some cases, it was nothing more than an airmen being more harden than the Squadron Commanders, who many were ex-pilots with little to no command experience. The current review is right now focusing on veterans with Generals or BCD who actually enraged in combat operations or who were victims of sexual abuse from within the service. The lead branch is the Dept of Army as their numbers just doesn't add up.

However, as with prior reviews, it ultimately is expanded as they discover patterns that lead to questionable decisions on discharges. So, get hold of a VSO or those members of Congress and have them get you on the right track. There is no guarantee you will have your discharge upgraded or even reviewed, but right now there is at least something in motion.

Just to add, it;s very important to understand that these things are done without a whole lot of fan fare. Don't expect a soft shoulder or even open arms. Consider that it was only after pressure from the Stars and Stripes and going directly to the Senators, did the DOD admit the review was going to happen.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:26 AM

1 posts, read 105 times
Exclamation BCD-- Life after.

I have a Bad Conduct Disccharge with a separation code of JJD 4. Can I become a correctional officer at the county prison. Some people say yes and others say no.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:44 PM

3,420 posts, read 1,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDawg36 View Post
I have a Bad Conduct Disccharge with a separation code of JJD 4. Can I become a correctional officer at the county prison. Some people say yes and others say no.
You need to ask HR at the facility you wish to apply to. Also be advised, counties have jails, not prisons. There is a difference. Most departments require candidates to be of good moral character. It also depends on if there was an Article 15 or court martial involved with your discharge or time in service. There really isn't enough information you have provided, but being retired LE I would say most departments would not hire you. There may be exceptions, but without knowing the particular agency you want to apply at, there is no way to really know.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:55 AM

1,089 posts, read 508,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Contact a Veteran Service Organization, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand's office or Sen. Thom Tillis' office. Ask them where to get information about the Defense Departments review of discharges known as "Bad Paper" discharges. Those U.S. Senators were the ones instrumental in getting the review, so they have been on top of this.

Just like what occurred with the USAF after the Vietnam War, the Defense Department is reviewing the staggering number of non-"Honorable Discharge" issued. With the prior USAF review, they found thousands of questionable General Discharges from airmen who served is South East Asia (compared to all other areas) and ultimately determined many were given General Discharges that were undeserved.
Are you referring to recently, or just during the Vietnam War? I'm looking to upgrade my General discharge after working under similar conditions (Asia, non-pilot enlisted assigned to an ex-pilot commander).
I retained my VA benefits, but it was a questionable discharge (and 18 months of harassment that still haunts me) which has impacted my employment prospects. It was my 2nd enlistment, after an Honorable discharge of the first enlistment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues