U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 476 times

Advertisements

Hello..I have a BCD. Discharged back in 2000. Served 3 yrs. Can you help? How do I up grade and/or check if I can still receive GI Bill?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 01:13 PM

3,851 posts, read 1,844,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rometheory View Post
Hello..I have a BCD. Discharged back in 2000. Served 3 yrs. Can you help? How do I up grade and/or check if I can still receive GI Bill?

Thanks!

GI Bill benefits are only available to those with an honorable discharge. Even those with a general discharge under honorable conditions are not eligible for the GI Bill. And with a BCD, you definitely are not eligible for any GI Bill benefits.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:45 PM

7,556 posts, read 8,127,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rometheory View Post

Thanks!
Contact a Veteran Service Organization, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand's office or Sen. Thom Tillis' office. Ask them where to get information about the Defense Departments review of discharges known as "Bad Paper" discharges. Those U.S. Senators were the ones instrumental in getting the review, so they have been on top of this.

Just like what occurred with the USAF after the Vietnam War, the Defense Department is reviewing the staggering number of non-"Honorable Discharge" issued. With the prior USAF review, they found thousands of questionable General Discharges from airmen who served is South East Asia (compared to all other areas) and ultimately determined many were given General Discharges that were undeserved. In some cases, it was nothing more than an airmen being more harden than the Squadron Commanders, who many were ex-pilots with little to no command experience. The current review is right now focusing on veterans with Generals or BCD who actually enraged in combat operations or who were victims of sexual abuse from within the service. The lead branch is the Dept of Army as their numbers just doesn't add up.

However, as with prior reviews, it ultimately is expanded as they discover patterns that lead to questionable decisions on discharges. So, get hold of a VSO or those members of Congress and have them get you on the right track. There is no guarantee you will have your discharge upgraded or even reviewed, but right now there is at least something in motion.

Just to add, it;s very important to understand that these things are done without a whole lot of fan fare. Don't expect a soft shoulder or even open arms. Consider that it was only after pressure from the Stars and Stripes and going directly to the Senators, did the DOD admit the review was going to happen.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:26 AM

1 posts, read 252 times
Exclamation BCD-- Life after.

I have a Bad Conduct Disccharge with a separation code of JJD 4. Can I become a correctional officer at the county prison. Some people say yes and others say no.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:44 PM

3,851 posts, read 1,844,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDawg36 View Post
I have a Bad Conduct Disccharge with a separation code of JJD 4. Can I become a correctional officer at the county prison. Some people say yes and others say no.
You need to ask HR at the facility you wish to apply to. Also be advised, counties have jails, not prisons. There is a difference. Most departments require candidates to be of good moral character. It also depends on if there was an Article 15 or court martial involved with your discharge or time in service. There really isn't enough information you have provided, but being retired LE I would say most departments would not hire you. There may be exceptions, but without knowing the particular agency you want to apply at, there is no way to really know.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:55 AM

1,183 posts, read 559,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Contact a Veteran Service Organization, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand's office or Sen. Thom Tillis' office. Ask them where to get information about the Defense Departments review of discharges known as "Bad Paper" discharges. Those U.S. Senators were the ones instrumental in getting the review, so they have been on top of this.

Just like what occurred with the USAF after the Vietnam War, the Defense Department is reviewing the staggering number of non-"Honorable Discharge" issued. With the prior USAF review, they found thousands of questionable General Discharges from airmen who served is South East Asia (compared to all other areas) and ultimately determined many were given General Discharges that were undeserved.
Are you referring to recently, or just during the Vietnam War? I'm looking to upgrade my General discharge after working under similar conditions (Asia, non-pilot enlisted assigned to an ex-pilot commander).
I retained my VA benefits, but it was a questionable discharge (and 18 months of harassment that still haunts me) which has impacted my employment prospects. It was my 2nd enlistment, after an Honorable discharge of the first enlistment.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:18 AM

23 posts, read 184,268 times
Quote:
Short answer on this one is no. I tried to get on at a prison local to me. The prison was perfectly fine with bringing me on even after I was open and honest about my discharge and that what led to the discharge. But once the paperwork got sent to the headquarters (not saying which state), the main investigators that do the final background investigations looked at it and determined that due to the court martial, they "view" that as a felony. Even tho legally and technically it is not. They said they would have to deny it sadly. They were ok with hiring me as well but saw that some controversy would come up once people found out the state just hired on someone that got a BCD. :/

Old 11-02-2017, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post

Just like what occurred with the USAF after the Vietnam War, the Defense Department is reviewing the staggering number of non-"Honorable Discharge" issued. With the prior USAF review, they found thousands of questionable General Discharges from airmen who served is South East Asia (compared to all other areas) and ultimately determined many were given General Discharges that were undeserved. In some cases, it was nothing more than an airmen being more harden than the Squadron Commanders, who many were ex-pilots with little to no command experience. The current review is right now focusing on veterans with Generals or BCD who actually enraged in combat operations or who were victims of sexual abuse from within the service. The lead branch is the Dept of Army as their numbers just doesn't add up.

However, as with prior reviews, it ultimately is expanded as they discover patterns that lead to questionable decisions on discharges. So, get hold of a VSO or those members of Congress and have them get you on the right track. There is no guarantee you will have your discharge upgraded or even reviewed, but right now there is at least something in motion.

Just to add, it;s very important to understand that these things are done without a whole lot of fan fare. Don't expect a soft shoulder or even open arms. Consider that it was only after pressure from the Stars and Stripes and going directly to the Senators, did the DOD admit the review was going to happen.
Just as I managed to get my full GI BILL. As long as you met your 180 day obligation and those 180 days were clean (no article 15's and such). Then by contractual law, you met the obligation. Grab ahold of your entry contract that you signed up with. There should be a form in there going over the GI BILL. You can do a google search for the terminology that the VA used back then in the requirements section. Or just pound the VA to death and demand they show you what legal term was used in the contracts back then that you would have sign in to. My bet, you are good to go as is most people. Just be able to show any award, and I literally mean ANY award given to you after the 180 day duration. That award proves you were in good standing and not pending any sort of legal action whether it be company grade or court martial. The VA couldn't argue against me and neither can they anyone else if you shove this tid bit to them.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Also note that if that facility is certified through the state. That on a State or Federal application. You MUST disclose all details. Omission is the same as lying at that point. So by law and the risk of another charge, you need to be completely forward with what the discharge was. You don't really have to go in to detail but you can honestly say that the details of the case are classified in your military records. Let them do the digging. All they'll get is a charge sheet and deposition of the case.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICED79 View Post
@bigconductdischarge - I wanted to thank you for posting this message and motivating me to start my process to retrieve my GI bill monies. Much like you I received a Big Chicken Dinner from the military, but served over 3 out of my 4 years on active service and receive a good conduct medal and many others. I know it's going to be a long rood ahead and I'm wondering if you still have the letters you sent to the VA for benefits to use as a guideline for the letters I will surely have to send them. If so please let me know and again thank you for posting and any help or advise you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely
Darren
dharbin@alliedfl.com
I am horrible and staying up with this forum and I should keep a tab on it as it helps me as well. If you'd like, send me a private message and we can talk over the phone. I don't put my personal e-mail on here or my phone number. As I don't want my identity getting plastered on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues