Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 10:31 AM

1,166 posts, read 876,423 times

Advertisements

I was watching the Joe Rohan experience recently and they had a military guy on there complaining that military recruiters can’t find enough suitable candidates.

The reasons he gave were that lots of Americans are out of shape and can’t keep up with the physical demands. He also cited that lots of people smoke marijuana, which also disqualifies them.

IMO, that’s a lazy cop out in the face of the real problem.

I say the real “problem” is that Americans are wising up and realizing that the perpetual wars that we fight all over the world serve no benefit to us and we shouldn’t be involved in those conflicts in the first place.

I also think that Americans are becoming more distrustful of authority in general, and the military wants people who will obey orders without question. They don’t want solders smart enough to think “Why are we really doing this?” They just want someone who’ll say “Yes sir” and do what they’re told.

I don’t believe in blindly supporting the troops and that everything they do is good because they’re “Just following orders”. The wars we’re fighting all over the world do not benefit us, and I think more Americans are seeing that and not going into the military for that reason.

Also, if they’re having trouble finding recruits, maybe they should change the criteria to accommodate more people. I have no sympathy for someone who complains “What were doing isn’t working” but takes no steps to change anything.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 11:22 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,878 times
My husband and I had a date night the other night and we ended up at a bar. He was talking to another guy who use to be in about this. The other guy said that the military has changed so much over the past 6 years that any incentive that there use to be to join is just not there anymore. Which is the reason he got out. Not only that but people who learn jobs in the military are making 3 and 4 times more in the civilian world. A guy my husband worked with (they both have the same job in the military) is making 3 times as much as my husband currently is and he's been out maybe a year. He is doing the exact same job that he did when he was in the military.
The retirement system of doing 20 years and getting out as retired has been replaced with a completely different program.
The GI bill has even changed.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
military recruiters can’t find enough suitable candidates.

You can replace the word military with any trade or industry. recruiters are having a very hard time meeting the demand in virtually every area. There simply are not enough quality workers available. Quality meaning they can pass a drug test, have a decent work ethic and do not have a plethora of disorders or health issues that prevent them from doing some part of their job, or from working hard for 40 or more hours a week. I do not know of any areas of business that are not complaining about this problem, so it makes sense the military would be having the same problem.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:30 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I was watching the Joe Rohan experience recently and they had a military guy on there complaining that military recruiters can’t find enough suitable candidates.

The reasons he gave were that lots of Americans are out of shape and can’t keep up with the physical demands. He also cited that lots of people smoke marijuana, which also disqualifies them.

I say the real “problem” is that Americans are wising up and realizing that the perpetual wars that we fight all over the world serve no benefit to us and we shouldn’t be involved in those conflicts in the first place.

I also think that Americans are becoming more distrustful of authority in general, and the military wants people who will obey orders without question. They don’t want solders smart enough to think “Why are we really doing this?” They just want someone who’ll say “Yes sir” and do what they’re told.

I don’t believe in blindly supporting the troops and that everything they do is good because they’re “Just following orders”. The wars we’re fighting all over the world do not benefit us, and I think more Americans are seeing that and not going into the military for that reason.

Also, if they’re having trouble finding recruits, maybe they should change the criteria to accommodate more people. I have no sympathy for someone who complains “What were doing isn’t working” but takes no steps to change anything.

Thoughts?
When the economy is great, recruiting gets tough. It has relatively nothing to do with where we are involved internationally.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-25-2019 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: Please don’t use red

Old 07-16-2019, 01:04 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,886,522 times
Finding qualified recruits is not a new problem especially when there are no major wars being fought. In the Marine Corps for instance during the 1970's after Vietnam there were significant problems finding quality people.

The Corps actually enlisted people who were functionally illiterate. During boot camp there were special English classes set up for these folks as part of their initial training. There were also high rates of absent without leave, incarceration, and people being processed out for unsuitability that some commanders didn't have the manpower to mount large scale military exercises.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:41 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
military recruiters can’t find enough suitable candidates.

You can replace the word military with any trade or industry. recruiters are having a very hard time meeting the demand in virtually every area. There simply are not enough quality workers available. Quality meaning they can pass a drug test, have a decent work ethic and do not have a plethora of disorders or health issues that prevent them from doing some part of their job, or from working hard for 40 or more hours a week. I do not know of any areas of business that are not complaining about this problem, so it makes sense the military would be having the same problem.
I don't think merely having drugs in your system makes you incompetant and unable to do your job. Plenty of people get s***faced drunk every single weekend and still do their job just fine, so those that do drugs are unfairly punished just because alcohol is an "acceptable" drug. IMO what you do off the clock is nobody's business but your own. I know this if off topic, but it leads to a point.

Point being, if you need more workers, and the stipulations you've put in place are making that difficult, YOU'VE GOT TO CHANGE. Looking around and expecting the world to change to suit you will always lead to disappoint. And because they are complaining about it, they have an incentive to change. They are just unwilling do to stubbornness.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:23 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
I don't think merely having drugs in your system makes you incompetant and unable to do your job. Plenty of people get s***faced drunk every single weekend and still do their job just fine, so those that do drugs are unfairly punished just because alcohol is an "acceptable" drug. IMO what you do off the clock is nobody's business but your own. I know this if off topic, but it leads to a point.

Point being, if you need more workers, and the stipulations you've put in place are making that difficult, YOU'VE GOT TO CHANGE. Looking around and expecting the world to change to suit you will always lead to disappoint. And because they are complaining about it, they have an incentive to change. They are just unwilling do to stubbornness.
It is not about whether or not being under the influence on your time off impacts your job performance. Alcohol is legal, drugs are not. The all volunteer military is very hesitant to take someone who will not follow the rules (laws), and it is as simple as that. Really, it is.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:34 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Another one of your anti authority, pro marijuana posts thinly disguised as a military topic.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:19 AM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,418 times
The difference is, if you can't perform in your civilian job, you are fired. If you can't perform in combat, somebody dies. No way to change the standards on that. OP I have the feeling that you would be the loudest squawker if a heavily armed military decided that it didn't like the orders given to it by the President or Congress and did its own thing.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:47 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Military Having Trouble Finding Recruits?

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think merely having drugs in your system makes you incompetant and unable to do your job.
You have no clue.

Quote:
The Department of Defense today announced recruiting and retention statistics for the Active and Reserve Components for fiscal year 2018.

Active Component.

Recruiting. The data below represents the services’ cumulative monthly goals and monthly accessions/gains for FY 2018.

Army Accessions: Goal 76,500; Attained 69,972 (91.47 percent/-6,528).
Navy Accessions: Goal 39,000; Attained 39,018 (100.05 percent/+18).
Marine Corps Accessions: Goal 31,556; Attained 31,567 (100.03 percent/+11).
Air Force Accessions: Goal 29,450; Attained 30,343 (103.03 percent/+893).

Quality. All components met their quality goals.

Retention. All services exhibited strong retention for FY 2018.
Reference: https://dod.defense.gov/News/News-Re...tention-numbe/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues