U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 3,373 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move to a military town in the South/Southeast. I'm planning a new research study and would like to do some preliminary interviews with service members (on health issues). I'm looking for a place to live with my girlfriend for a few months where it would be relatively easy to recruit service members for interviews.

We've visited Fayetteville but found many of the problems mentioned on this forum.

I understand many of the military towns have similar problems, but we'd like to find one that is on a somewhat smaller scale or which has more of an actual town center (and/or from which it is possible to get into the countryside more quickly). (Fayetteville has an enormous amount of strip malls and has few public spaces).

Would anyone recommend, for example, Fort Knox, Fort Polk, Fort Benning, Fort Leonard Wood, or one of the Virginia bases?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 03:32 PM
LLN

4,912 posts, read 8,360,413 times
Why don't you try Goldsboro. A regular town, kind of, with Seymore Johnson AFB (4th fighter wing, I think) F-15s.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 3,373 times
Thanks! Oops, should have specified though - should be army or marines not the air force.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:45 PM

2,633 posts, read 2,964,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_in_fayetteville View Post
Thanks! Oops, should have specified though - should be army or marines not the air force.
Since all the services use the same healthcare system (TRICARE) then why not include the USAF?

For an Army posts, try Ft Gordon in Augusta GA or Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville AL.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:51 PM

11,987 posts, read 10,687,492 times
You have a lot to choose from. What exactly are you looking for in terms of town? Do you like Savannah? Fort Stewart, Ga. might work well for you. If you are more specific about what you're looking for, I can provide a better recommendation.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:55 PM

11,987 posts, read 10,687,492 times
Quote:
Would anyone recommend, for example, Fort Knox, Fort Polk, Fort Benning, Fort Leonard Wood, or one of the Virginia bases?
Fort Knox: I have never been, so I can't comment. Fort Polk: a very, very country area. If you're looking to a million miles from nowhere, this is your place. Fort Benning: a large Army post, but it's close to a smallish town with a cool river walk area and some nice nightlife spots .. Columbus, Ga.; Fort Leonard: not as country as Fort Polk, but close. Virginia bases -- too many to mention -- Fort Eustis, Va., in the southern Virginia Hampton Roads area is my favorite Virginia base .. it's a pretty dense, suburban area though .. probably not to your liking.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:15 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,079,037 times
Have you considered Fort Rucker? (Ozark, Enterprise, Dothan area) We spent a couple years there living in Ozark and my husband working on post. It is not a big post at all. Fort Leonardwood, I would not choose that and the others I am unfamiliar with.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:09 PM

11,090 posts, read 18,635,499 times
Quote:
Fort Lee in Petersburg, VA. Petersburg is a small city with countryside to the west. Enough apartments where you can probably find a short term rental. Nearby is Richmond with good medical facilities.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:41 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,040,950 times
I'm not making any kind of accusation, but I'd be aware of OPSEC concerns before telling the OP too much.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:43 PM

24,138 posts, read 38,906,904 times
Quote:
We're looking to move to a military town in the South/Southeast.

We've visited Fayetteville but found many of the problems mentioned on this forum.

I understand many of the military towns have similar problems, but we'd like to find one that is on a somewhat smaller scale or which has more of an actual town center

Fort Leonard Wood, is in Missouri, not the South, but a large post. Yes, I guess also Fort Leavenworth, KS, Fort Riley, KS, Fort Campbell, KY, and Fort Knox, KY

Quote:
All Army posts, what I consider to be major in size in the area, in the South, not sure what you mean by "but found many of the problems mentioned on this forum". I have been to all of them at one time or another and they are all still active duty Army:
Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
Fort Belvoir, VA
Fort Benning, GA
Fort Bliss, TX
Fort Bragg, NC
Fort Campbell, KY
Fort Detrick, MD
Fort George G. Meade, MD
Fort Gordon, GA
Fort Hood, TX
Fort Jackson, SC
Fort Lee, VA
Fort Myer, VA
Fort Polk, LA
Fort Rucker, AL
Fort Sill, OK
Fort Stewart, GA
Redstone Arsenal, AL
Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues