U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 05:52 PM

460 posts, read 511,949 times

Advertisements

I'm finishing up my sophomore year in college. I've been planning for over a year now on trying to be an army aviator after college. But I'm getting antsy waiting around to graduate and have been reading about reserve/guard programs in which it is possible to do some training during breaks while in school full-time. However I'm getting a little lost in figuring out what programs apply to what parts of the military. I don't think any of these would apply to what I want to do. Am I right?

What other possible paths to being warrant officer are there that I could get started on sooner? I don't want to rush it, but if there is something I can do now I'd love to do it. This is probably something a recruiter would be better positioned to answer, but I thought I'd hit all bases and ask here!

Thanks in advance, and I know I sound a little lost and very new!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 06:32 PM

5,106 posts, read 6,064,394 times
Do you have ROTC at your school? If so, go talk with someone there. They can explain how it works.

If not, look up Army Guard and Reserve aviation units. GIve them a call and see what they say to explain how it works.

Read Army aviation web sites.

At this point I wouldn't go to a recruiter. You might end up pumping gas in Afganistan

Old 03-27-2012, 07:33 PM

24,138 posts, read 38,883,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
trying to be an army aviator

getting antsy waiting around to graduate
If you qualify, it takes 16 weeks of training... I don't know of any way to dribble that through... Read this: High school to flight school | Article | The United States Army

Then read this: Warrant Officers | GoArmy.com

It has been difficult to do in the past, but I know a few who have done it.

Good luck.

Rich

Old 03-27-2012, 07:50 PM

499 posts, read 1,804,291 times
Jester-

Finish college. Finish college. Finish college. I've been on active duty for 19 years and I don't care if you're an NCO, a Warrant or a commissioned officer, you'll need a degree.

In the interim-- it sounds like you just want to join? If so, explore both the guard and reserve to see what programs they have that fit your interests and needs. The Guard is run by the respective state so what one state provides, another might not. Whether that enlistment incentives, tuition programs, etc. The Army Reserve is run by the Department of the Army so there is no deviation between states.

After college- Do you only want to fly or are you open to other branches? Warrant Officers fly a heck of a lot more than commissioned officers. Take that into account.

Do you want to be an aviator on active duty or reserve/Guard? For the Army and Army Reserve, you'd have to compete for Warrant Officer Flight Training (WOFT)-- this is accomplished by going through an Army Recruiter. If selected, you'd go to basic training, warrant Officer Candidate School and then off to flight school. I don't know how the Guard does it but I am sure they also have a selection board.

Make sense?

Old 03-27-2012, 08:11 PM

My first thoughts were ROTC as well but from what I understand ROTC produces 2nd LT's, not Warrants. I'd want to go Warrant.

Poncho, those were my thoughts as well. Most of what I read about Split Training indicated that it really only was for splitting BCT and AIT, not BCT, WOCS, and WOFT.

High School to Flight School would not be the program I'm interested in, since finishing college is a given. There's no way I'm dropping out

I want to go active duty, btw. Mostly it sounds like I really do just need to wait until later in college when I can apply with the standard method for aviation warrants. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Old 03-28-2012, 06:14 AM

Jester-

Correct, ROTC does not commission warrant officers.

I used to sit on the WOFT boards when I was the operations officer in the Indianapolis Recruiting battalion. The main thing we looked for in a recent college grad?? Your college GPA. It is one of the few indicators of how you perform absent mom and dad telling you what to do. We also looked at your physical fitness level and your ability to problem solve and apply reason through the interview/board process. We did not care at all what your flight experience was. We wanted someone who demonstrated they were intelligent and mature enough to be trained to fly and be responsible for the lives of others.

Here is another piece of advice.

1- If you're not selected the first time, apply again. It is a competitive board and the numbers selected can change month to month. I remember one candidate who went through the board three times before he was selected.
2- It is always more difficult to be selected at the end of the Fiscal Year..... JUL-SEP. The Army knows how many new pilots it needs to recruit through WOFT and so there are "x" amount of slots. The natural process is to fill those slots sooner rather than later. So come October, the Army has filled 0 of the WOFT candidates it needs for the year.

So we are about to get smaller as an Army. That means enlisting is only going to become harder and being selected for OCS or WOFT is going to become even more competitive/difficult.

Best of luck!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:18 PM

5,106 posts, read 6,064,394 times
Hi

On the ROTC my thought was not to enroll in ROTC but to talk with the PMS and staff. With all their collective experience in the Army, in 10 minutes they can explain how it works to be a warrant aviator, if that is what you want.

Good luck though.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:22 PM

Arty, thank you very much for the straightforward advice. It's very hard to find that on the internet. If you don't mind me asking two more questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
The main thing we looked for in a recent college grad?? Your college GPA. It is one of the few indicators of how you perform absent mom and dad telling you what to do. We also looked at your physical fitness level and your ability to problem solve and apply reason through the interview/board process. We did not care at all what your flight experience was.
Would you say this generally applies to all boards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
It is always more difficult to be selected at the end of the Fiscal Year..... JUL-SEP.
What time would you advise an applicant to submit his/her packet during the fiscal year?

Thank you once again, you've already helped a great deal.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:10 AM

Jester-

Yes, those questions applied for any board. When it becomes time, you'll want the recruiter to show you the Recruiting regulation that discuses boards. In that regulation, it outlines sample questions, etc.

The purpose of the oral board is to get a feel of who you are. Those board members need to personalize you before your packet goes before the selection board. So here is a typical question I asked

1- if you aren't selected for OCS (or WOFT), would you consider enlisting?
So that is bit of a difficulet question. Some interviewees may view it as a question where I want to see how bad they want to become an officer and if they say they would enlist, they might not look as committed. That wasn't why I asked that. I wanted to see their answer so I could gauge how much they wanted to serve their country.

Does that help?

For your second question-- if you feel you are a marginal candidate, apply OCT-DEC. if you feel that you are a very competitive candidate, I'd apply at the first opportunity, regardless of the time of the year. If you aren't selected the first time, apply again. Many, many applicants apply multiple times. Many active duty Soldiers applying for OCS or WOFT apply multiple times before they are selected. The good news, you don't compete against active duty Soldiers because they are selected by a different selection board.

Let me know if I need to clarify something.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:18 PM

Arty, would you mind if I PM'ed you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues