U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 03:14 AM

3,523 posts, read 3,753,220 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how functional I am....but I'd be willing to put my knee up against anyone's. I played soccer in high school, competitively, and never even had an issue. The coach didn't even know...and I didn't think to tell him. It wasn't an issue even when I was running around for like 5 hours straight 5 days a week.

I figured the recruiter didn't really have much to say to someone a year or two off. That's why he never got back to me, imo. (Yes, it was in person...though it was an ROTC branch and he didn't seem to informed about after college enrollment)

Idealogically, the military sucks. But all idealogies suck. I'd be in it for the stability and the potential contacts it would set me up with. I'd want to be able to influence the movers and shakers to keep technological advancement interests in their minds as they move and shake. Sort of a technological lobbyist if you wil...

The military stint would, I'd hope, best set me up for that. Plus it would take care of educational expenses better than most orginizations.

As for idealogy...all that turns to naught when someone wants you dead. Bottom line, if you're shooting at me...I'm shooting back.

Last edited by dub dub II; 03-31-2012 at 03:27 AM..

Old 03-31-2012, 03:17 AM

On another note..what's stopping me from simply not mentioning the hepatitis? It's not in my records and I'm clean...so it's just my word they have to go on...

Old 03-31-2012, 09:37 AM

499 posts, read 1,804,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post

Idealogically, the military sucks. But all idealogies suck. I'd be in it for the stability and the potential contacts it would set me up with. I'd want to be able to influence the movers and shakers to keep technological advancement interests in their minds as they move and shake. Sort of a technological lobbyist if you wil...

The military stint would, I'd hope, best set me up for that. Plus it would take care of educational expenses better than most orginizations..
I'll be honest-- after reading that, the military is not for you. Incoming Soldiers, whether they are junior enlisted or junior officers, aren't in position to influence the "movers and shakers". We don't need new members for that. Furthermore, if you are under the impression that we don't use technologically advanced equipment in the military, you couldn't be more wrong.

As for the part about educational benefits. Yes, they are very good;this is a profession that requires a great deal of sacrifice. If you aren't willing to sacrifice, look somewhere else. The military isn't for everybody. The last thing you want to do is come into an organization that is a lot bigger than you (i.e., the military will do just fine without you) and you decide you know what is best for it. That never goes well. I have seen people really screw up their lives because they were going to "prove a point".

Old 03-31-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
I'll be honest-- after reading that, the military is not for you. Incoming Soldiers, whether they are junior enlisted or junior officers, aren't in position to influence the "movers and shakers". We don't need new members for that. Furthermore, if you are under the impression that we don't use technologically advanced equipment in the military, you couldn't be more wrong.

As for the part about educational benefits. Yes, they are very good;this is a profession that requires a great deal of sacrifice. If you aren't willing to sacrifice, look somewhere else. The military isn't for everybody. The last thing you want to do is come into an organization that is a lot bigger than you (i.e., the military will do just fine without you) and you decide you know what is best for it. That never goes well. I have seen people really screw up their lives because they were going to "prove a point".
Reading comprehension, apparently, isn't required either.
For if it was, you'd realize I was talking about a career after the military. The contacts gained while in the military are almost reason enough to join by itself.

A military stint is respected by the institutions I'd want to influence.

My strategy for the military would be simple: keep my head down, identify those worthy of being engaged, engage them, tell them my story, keep in touch after I leave. Plenty of those worthy of being engaged will be joining the military...they'd be foolish not to. Plenty of my generations most influential people will have spent time serving. I'm just trying to decide if I'll be one of them.

(And yes, that is deliberately ambiguous...though I wonder how many people even realize how...)

Old 03-31-2012, 01:55 PM

2,633 posts, read 2,962,965 times
Quote:
For if it was, you'd realize I was talking about a career after the military. The contacts gained while in the military are almost reason enough to join by itself.
Show a little respect, junior. You're the one asking for advice. Most of the regulars on this board have 20+ years of experience and have forgotten more about the military than you will ever learn.
Quote:
A military stint is respected by the institutions I'd want to influence.

My strategy for the military would be simple: keep my head down, identify those worthy of being engaged, engage them, tell them my story, keep in touch after I leave. Plenty of those worthy of being engaged will be joining the military...they'd be foolish not to. Plenty of my generations most influential people will have spent time serving. I'm just trying to decide if I'll be one of them.

(And yes, that is deliberately ambiguous...though I wonder how many people even realize how...)
The question to you is: what would the military gain by your presence? A hard worker? Someone who knows how to get the job done? Someone who knows how to "shut up and color"? Or will it have a self-absorbed whiner who wants to game the system? The entire admission process is designed to weed out people who physically, psychologically, or socially will not do well in a military environment. We do this because having ill-adapted people on the line will result in deaths, perhaps even yours.

As for movers and shakers, you will not get to pick your assignments for at least the first 10 years of your career. Unless by some miracle you get assigned to the Pentagon or a Major Command, you will be nowhere near anybody of influence. Otherwise prepare to be assigned to garden spots like Minot, ND or Cannon, NM.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:58 PM

24,136 posts, read 38,883,622 times
Quote:
Well, unless someone else want's to continue this thread, they can send me a DM, and I may re-open it.

Otherwise this thread is closed...

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-31-2012 at 02:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues