U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 11,711 times

Advertisements

What do you mean by "winterizing" your vehicle?Also what major phone services are good in AK?Can my pet stay with us when we're in temporary lodgings in Wainwright?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 05:55 AM

30,736 posts, read 16,968,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesera86 View Post
What do you mean by "winterizing" your vehicle?Also what major phone services are good in AK?Can my pet stay with us when we're in temporary lodgings in Wainwright?
Winterizing your vehicle means you add a battery blanket, oil pan heater, and a block heater, so you will always have an extension cord hanging out of your grill to plug your vehicle in. If you do not have these 3 things, you can will freeze when it 30 - 50 below and cost you a few $$ to get some guy to come over thaw out your vehicle.

To those going, I would highly suggest looking into the ferry, it is a 5 days cruise basically, you drive to Bellingham Washington, load your truck onto the ferry and 5 days later you are in Haines Alaska. You have your own room with shower and all...it is not a 5 star hotel room but comfortable.

What I loved about the cruse, you were never 500 yards from land, going through and possibly seeing whales....and other land animals along the shore. On the 4th day, you stop in Sitka, Alaska (formerly Russia) and that was just an awesome little excursion.

Something to think about!

Here is the website, but you must go through the military travel first....

Alaska Marine Highway System :: Official Site :: Alaska DOT&PF

Old 11-27-2012, 08:20 AM

2,833 posts, read 4,022,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl0808 View Post
Well we were suppose to be there by now but orders were delayed for deployment. We should be there now in March 2014. I still can't wait! In a way I am glad it was put off, we will be able to adjust better going into spring and summer :-)
Should I still winterize my truck before we go at that time of year. The gas doesn't really worry me as much, as I totaled my F150 and got a SUV lol. But are more stations open that time of year? I also plan on buy a hand gun and rifle does anyone know if I will be able to travel threw Canada with them? Thank you for all the help and advice :-)
Yes, you should winterize your truck before leaving, as you said your husband being a mechanic should be able to do this. It can get expensive to winterize your truck in Alaska, there are a few outfits in Fairbanks that do this for military personel coming to Ft. Wainwright, however, you need to be careful because they will pray on your ignorance and it can cost you.
Canada does a great job at keeping the Al-Can open all year round, gas shouldn't be a problem, just be ready for sticker shock when buying gas. Gas along the Al-Can can cost as much as 3.50 a liter.

As far as carrying fire arms, check with Canadian customs as to the regulations, there have been cases where a person was turned away for carrying them.

Like was suggested in another post, take the ferry, it's an awesome trip, I've done this twice. You will still have to clear Canadian customs if you take the ferry to Haines and drive to Fairbanks. The Canadian customs stations is just above Klukwan on Canadian Hwy 3 also known as the Haines Hwy.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 PM

9 posts, read 41,524 times
I have thought about taking the ferry but I would rather drive. I would love the views but mostly I have a dog and now a cat and I couldn't bare the fact of leaving them in the car from port to port and from what I hear that is many many long hours in between.
As far as the firearms question I have tried looking online but haven't found the list of unauthorized weapons but I will call closer to the time.
I would like to thank everyone for all the help and information it is much needed!! I'm sure I have already said this but its our first PCS and I don't know anything about it.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:02 AM

24,129 posts, read 38,859,608 times
"Any time you personally transport a restricted or prohibited firearm within Canada, you need an Authorization to Transport (ATT) from the Chief Firearms Officer of the province where the firearm is located or where it will be entering Canada."
Transporting Firearms - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

The "List of Restricted and Prohibited Firearms" is here, but not current right now:
List of Restricted and Prohibited Firearms - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

An informative article: Taking Guns Into Canada Information for US citizens taking guns into or through Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues