U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:28 PM

16,416 posts, read 25,200,334 times

Advertisements

I know a girl who used to hang out with us back in high school and is now in the Coast Guard. She got stationed in South Florida and although she didn't like South Florida... I sure did. This girl was a cute girl who appeared to be in good shape, but come on... she wasn't tough in the least bit. If this girl could do it, your son sure as heck better be able to also !! haha, 12 minutes isn't that long for treading water. Tell him to give it a try once and I bet he won't even be tired out after doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 01:06 PM

460 posts, read 511,847 times
I think I did 30 minutes in a pool once on a dare a while ago. That was when I was skinny weak kid and not after I started working out. I don't think 12 should be a problem.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:30 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,542,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Any past or present Coast Guarders here?

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

He'll be seventeen in June, will be a senior next year, and is thinking about signing up soon because apparently there is a three year waiting time.

Also, he's a little nervous about the swim test - he's not sure he can tread water for twelve minutes.
My BIL is in the Coast Guard and loves it. It's been a good things for my sister and niece as well. I know he is "home" quite a bit, so maybe that's why it's good for them, but I know they are moving soon as well.

Treading water is pretty easy once you get used to it, throw him in the pool and let him build up his time.

I know my sister's Dad helped me when I was going into the Corps by a "not smiled upon" method, by getting into the boat and dumping my butt in the water in the middle of the stripper pits when I was younger, lol. It was scarey, but it worked.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:29 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,349,448 times
Thanks for all the comments and encouragement.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:37 PM

3,806 posts, read 4,998,065 times
Sign up, keep his grades up, and don't get into any trouble. A coworker's told me his son is trying to enlist now as a high school graduate. He said he was told the Coast Guard only accepted 350 enlistments last year. You don't want to give them any obvious reason to disqualify you because if that number is true they are turning away a ton of people.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:14 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,349,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Sign up, keep his grades up, and don't get into any trouble. A coworker's told me his son is trying to enlist now as a high school graduate. He said he was told the Coast Guard only accepted 350 enlistments last year. You don't want to give them any obvious reason to disqualify you because if that number is true they are turning away a ton of people.
This is why, as he is finishing up his junior year, that he's going to check into an early enlistment deal - we've been told there is a three year wait.

He gets good grades and is so squeaky clean, it's ridiculous - much, much more so than his mom was at his age.

His school adviser, who was in the Coast Guard and who put the bug in his ear, said there are more law enforcement personnel in New York City than there are men and women in the Coast Guard.

Does anyone know if his ASFAB score will have any bearing on when he would be accepted?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:38 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,051,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
You have to keep in mind that the entire UCG is the size of the New York Police Depart, around 38,000 active duty. The Guard has always been hard to get in, in fact I don't know how I got in so easily in 1971. I went in thinking that I could get out of going to Vietnam, I was wrong, but that's another story. The other reason I chose the CG was that I didn't want to get stationed in some god forsaken part of the country. Coast Guard bases tend to be in or near major cities and I thought that was the deal breaker.

When my orders came in, I got San Francisco (very cool) unfortunately I didn't get the light station, I got a 378' Cutter, which happened to be in the South China Sea (not cool). Anyway, after we got back I finally got my orders for Hospital Corpsmen School, was rated an independent duty Corpsman and was sent to CG Air Station Brooklyn (very, very cool) and spent 3 years as a medic on search and rescue missions.

My only regret if any, when I look back on it, was not staying on the ship and be in a position to earn a commercial skippers license. Anyway, there are a lot of ratings in the GG that can put you in a good position when you get out. As for the swim test... back in the day it was 100 meters without stopping, and a leap off of a 30' tower. As an aircrew man I had jump from a helicopter and paddle around in open ocean until they decided to pick us up (also not so cool).

All in all its a cool little branch of the "military", it really isn't but they pretend that it is ( I would have stayed if they had made it civil service).

Old 04-13-2012, 08:39 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,051,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

They will teach him how to "tread water" and a lot more.
I'm glad you didn't make any jokes about just walking to shore.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:22 PM

24,131 posts, read 38,871,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
They will teach him how to "tread water" and a lot more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm glad you didn't make any jokes about just walking to shore.
Duh... No, I don't have that sharpness of humor... (had to think about it)

Rich

Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 PM

24,131 posts, read 38,871,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Does anyone know if his ASFAB score will have any bearing on when he would be accepted?
The ASFAB score is an important item when entering the military. ASVAB scores are used primarily to determine enlistment eligibility, assign applicants to military jobs, and aid students in career exploration. There even is an Official ASVAB site which is informative: Official Site of the ASVAB Testing Program

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues