Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 AM

8 posts, read 36,630 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I was discharged from RTC (US Navy) for medical reasons in August 2011, receiving an RE-3E discharge code. I was told by the LT who recommended the ELMS (entry level medical seperation) that I would be eligible to re-enlist after six months (February 2012). Since then, I have spoken to Army and Navy recruiters. Recently, I have spoken to a USAF recruiter in the Philadelphia, PA area (Cheltenham Mall), trying to explain my situation, and she seemed like she wouldn't give me the time of day. I even called her twice, and she still wouldn't talk to me more than a few minutes just because I didn't have an RE-1 discharge code. I brought up wavering as well, and she said that it can't be waivered.

A day afterwards, I spoke to a recruiter in the USAF - Pittsburgh (Monroeville Mall) recruiting office, and he seemed like he wanted to try and help me. He asked me questions regarding my discharge, which he verified that the discharge code (RE-3E) can be waivered, which I knew beforehand (but is up to the recruiter or their boss [I've heard] to approve it). I would need a waiver for the medical discharge as well, which has to be submitted to the doctor (s) at MEPS to get a preliminary yes or no. I would need one more waiver because of a life situation from way back in the hayday (juvenile). After all of that, he said that it would be VERY unlikely that I would be able to get all of the waivers approved, and recommended me joining the Army or Navy, if I'm able, which to me seemed like he didn't want to at least submit my paperwork to get a definite answer. Also, I'm considered PREVIOUS service, not PRIOR service, because of the amount of time, which I have told the recruiters that I have spoken to.

From researching situations as close to mine as I can muster, it seems like I would be able to get into the USAF, pending waiver approval. I would very much like to be able to enlist, but with the recruiters that I have spoken to so far, it seems really discouraging, and it's making it tough to find a recruiter anywhere in the state of PA that would try and help me.

Would anybody be able to help me with this, and possibly guide me in the right direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,771 times
Unfortunately, you're trying to rejoin the military during a time when they are downsizing-- the USAF included. Therefore, you are facing an uphill battle for three reasons--- 1) you did not successfully serve your initial enlistment 2) you are "previous" (prior) service and 3) you require a waiver. When there is not a shortage of applicants, leading to achieving the yearly recruiting goal, applicants that have "issues" are not viewed favorably. That is the reality of it. The Army Recruiter seems as if they know that current rules do not allow your code to be waived at all. Recruiting is a funny animal--- next year, it may be something that is waived. I spent two years in a the US Army's Indianapolis Recruiting Battalion as the Battalion Operations Officer so take this next comment for what it's worth-- the Army has the largest recruiting mission. If the Army isn't going to waive it, nobody else will either.

That said, if you can apply for the waiver, then apply for it. They can't say no unless you ask.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:10 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
I am a recruiting supervisor and can tell you that in today's environment you are not going to get the three waivers you need to enlist. I would not let my recruiters spend the time on someone that is not qualified. Sorry I don't have better news but in this economy we are turning away people that don't need any waivers and not even talking to those that need multiple waivers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk!

Old 04-11-2012, 08:46 AM

8 posts, read 36,630 times
I figured that it would be really tough trying to get back in, no matter what branch that I chose. I'm still trying to see if I could though. As of right now, the branch that seems like they are moving forward the most is the Army. I've been in contact with Army, Navy, and Air Force recruiters. The Navy and Army said that they have to ship my med docs up to MEPS, and get the Dr's approval to process back in. The Air Force doesn't want to give me the time of day. Hey, if I can get back in, I'm happy.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:54 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Same with folks who don't need waivers. I would not count on this happening.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Try the guard or reserves, you might have to go that route in order to get in. A guard recruiter will be more willing to work with you if they are having trouble making #'s.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 PM

522 posts, read 1,855,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Try the guard or reserves, you might have to go that route in order to get in. A guard recruiter will be more willing to work with you if they are having trouble making #'s.
Air Guard or AF Reserves might work, get in touch with a recruiter. On the AD side, Army will probably be your best bet.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:06 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
Air Guard or AF Reserves might work, get in touch with a recruiter. On the AD side, Army will probably be your best bet.
AF Guard/Reserves use the same standards as the Active Duty folks. Furthermore we're absorbing a lot of folks coming off Active Duty, and were getting the same high numbers of highly qualified civilians applicants.

Unless you posess a high demand/low availability skill, you're not getting back in.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:40 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,401 times
you do have another option, you can apply to go before the US NAVY discharge review board and see if they will upgrade your Reenlistment code to RE-1 A

some people dont know about this, but Ive personally known a person that did this and they were able to enlist, but it took them about a year to get the RE code upgraded, they have the power to upgrade it

if they upgrade your RE code you may even be eligible to go back in the Navy

they may have a traveling review board that does reviews on discharges in your area

Naval Discharge Review Board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 PM

467 posts, read 1,522,365 times
Actually, wrong board...

----
Does NDRB review all matters pertaining to discharges and separations?
No. NDRB is not permitted to review discharges that fall into one of the following categories:
- Older than 15 years;[/SIZE][/LEFT]
- Awarded as the result of a general court-martial;
- Involve physical or medical disability, or,
- Reenlistment (RE) codes.
For these requests, you must petition the Board for the Correction of Naval Records (BCNR).

------

[SIZE=2]-----
[/SIZE]
[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues