U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:21 PM

3,323 posts, read 4,794,199 times

Advertisements

I thought I wanted to be a firefighter too until I did Damage control and firefighting in the Navy. After going through that there was no way I was going to be lead man on a hose team in the civilian world. I had about a good as a guaranteed job too, my best friends dad was the assistant fire chief at a middle sized midwestern town, his brother was the lt. and being groomed for chief. I played golf with these guys in their league and knew almost all of them. What they told me was to take leave when the written test was offered, I would more than likely score pretty high, and would placed on the list. By the time my name came up I would be close to the end of my military time and would take the actual physical test which I had practiced before with them. It's extremely difficult and you have to train for it and then would get my number for the fire academy. They would pull the strings in order for me to start when I was done with the military. After the DC class I told them at a cook out that they were all nuts, I didn't even look back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 06:45 PM

194 posts, read 997,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Hold on. Then you want DC.
I did indeed want DC, but wanting and getting are two different things. Im not complaining about SECF.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidorry View Post
I did indeed want DC, but wanting and getting are two different things. Im not complaining about SECF.
You'll still get at least 3 weeks training on DC, and spend a ton of time drilling it while your at sea and doing refresher training. Like I said above after doing it in the Navy I realized I wanted no part of being the lead nozzle man on a fire team. It wasn't for me.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 AM

29,742 posts, read 47,547,485 times
The fire-trainers get better every decade.

In the 70s I was trained, using a concrete structure with no power or ventilation. Out in the middle of a big parking lot, with a set of wooden bleachers to one side. They loaded rooms with piles of wood and cardboard debris soaked with diesel, set it on fire, and had hose-teams enter through each doorway.

In the late 90s, I was being trained in a huge office building. The simulator has: iron grate catwalks, multiple compartments, electrical panels and ventilation ducts everywhere. Cameras are recess mounted in the walls, up high on one wall is a big window with a control room. They hit one button and instantly all flames are put out, and the atmosphere is totally cleared within 60-seconds.

The control room can see what is going on in each compartment, from multiple angles. They have complete control over all flames in the building.

They can even remotely spread burning oil on the water underneath the catwalks.

As you go from compartment to compartment, the water-tight doors can be pre-heated with flame-thrower nozzles mounted to the walls [you do not see any flame, but the door is HOT. The flames are always on the other side of the door].

Each electrical panel has flame throwers inside them, so any panel can burst into flame at any time.

Firehoses rupture, the water-main goes dead, all sorts of things happen, which makes it more lively.

Of course if anyone starts to succumb to the environment, all flames are gone and the smoke is cleared in an instant.

It is all very high-tech now.

You sit in a classroom, for an hour. Then you form hose-teams and give it a try. Then back to the classroom. Really you can 'hit it' once an hour all day long. Until no body has any fear of the flames/smoke. And every one is fairly confident in what they are doing.

On my last boat [I left it in 1997] I had to go through the fire-trainer twice each year. Not just me as a Navigation ET, but nearly the entire crew went through the trainer each off-crew.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:43 AM

Forest,

When I went through boot, they spent a lot of time on DC training as opposed to drilling with arms and stuff, as this was 2 years after the Stark and the recommendations where out. The main thing was that if the Stark didn't have the DC training they had, a hell of a lot more people would have died. Taking those recommendations DC training for people really picked up.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:55 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,492,371 times
Navy thinning is forcing out thousands of sailors | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

This is interesting reading...for those thinking about being career Navy...

Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 PM

29,742 posts, read 47,547,485 times
The Clinton draw downs were tough too.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,203 times
My son is joining the Navy in June and has been told that he is going in to SECF. Is this a good career field? I hope that he will stay in for 20 years but if not I hope that he is getting in a field that transfers to civilian life. Can anyone calm a mother's fears.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:28 PM

24,157 posts, read 38,951,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachme6 View Post
My son is joining the Navy in June

Can anyone calm a mother's fears.
Congratulations, You will be amazed and proud of him the first time you see him after boot-camp.

I don't know what he will really be doing. I'm a retired Soldier.

I wish him luck,

Rich

Old 03-30-2013, 06:06 PM

467 posts, read 1,278,809 times
Its a good field and he'll probably enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues