U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 03:40 PM

29,719 posts, read 47,472,880 times

Advertisements

I was on the Alaska SSBN 732 from 1993 to 1997, homeported at Subase Bangor. During that period of time, they discovered thousands of micro-fractures in the Florida hull and she was de-certified for diving. during the last 3 or 4 patrols I made on the Alaska, the Florida sat pier side at Delta, unable to get underway. I left Bangor in '97, as I understand it, they did an extensive overhaul to fix the hull fractures in the process of emasculating her into a SSGN.

I am a Navigation ET [CNC Tech - 3322, 3332, and 3333] and ESM [1481].

They were in the process of shifting NECs over to the 14XX series, but it had not caught on by the time that I left the fleet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 10:24 AM

90 posts, read 88,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Sorry, got to call that one out., The USS Florida, which is SSBN 728, was always stationed out of Bangor, WA, and never performed any patrols in the Atlantic. What years on the Florida?

If you were meaning the Dallas performed "patrols", I have never heard anyone refer to fast attack "deployments" as "patrols".

Also, regarding your rate, can you clarify? What NEC(s) did you have?

Call out whatever you want, bub.

The USS Florida is in Kings Bay, GA. Look it up.

As far as her hull #, yeah, got that wrong. I musta been thinking of the Buffalo, which my nephew is currently on, and I was just speaking with him.

As far as you never hearing the term patrol: that's weird--we used it all the time and the still do. again. look it up. Or check some of Submariner's posts.

BTW: Florida is now an SSGN, she was re-fitted back in 2004 or so, along with some other Ohio class SSBN's. But in my day we had the Trident C's with the MIRVs.

NEC's? LOL--can I remember? We called 'em "ratings" back then, with NEC as a sub-classification for ET. At Great Mistakes, ILL you either went ET Comm or Nav. I think maybe my NEC was 14AA & AB but owuld have to check my DD214 to be sure.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:56 AM

9,864 posts, read 8,000,104 times
I wasn't an enlisted man and I wasn't in the sub navy, but I'd say that the Sonar Techs who'd been to class C school on the newest sonar gear at the time were a lot sharper than the ETs I encountered. I'm biased; I was an ASW officer.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:42 AM

12,623 posts, read 12,065,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffin_Ready View Post
Call out whatever you want, bub.

The USS Florida is in Kings Bay, GA. Look it up.
The Florida was stationed in Kings Bay after its SSGN conversion in 2006, over ten years after your claim you were in the Navy; "I was in the Navy from 1986-1992 as an ET-COM and served on both the fast-attack boat USS-Dallas (SSN-7000) and the missile boat the USS Florida (SSBN-715)."

Quote:
As far as her hull #, yeah, got that wrong. I musta been thinking of the Buffalo, which my nephew is currently on, and I was just speaking with him.
I doubt it, this is your attempt at backtracking from your error.

Quote:
As far as you never hearing the term patrol: that's weird--we used it all the time and the still do. again. look it up. Or check some of Submariner's posts.
I have very well heard of the term "patrol", given I made eleven of them on the USS Florida.

But from my own post; "If you were meaning the Dallas performed "patrols", I have never heard anyone refer to fast attack "deployments" as "patrols"".

You referred to making patrols in the Atlantic, in which the USS Florida was NEVER STATIONED in the Atlantic until its SSGN conversion. So I mentioned maybe you confuse "deployment" with "patrol", but as I stated, I never heard anyone refer to a fast boat deployment as a "patrol".

Quote:
BTW: Florida is now an SSGN, she was re-fitted back in 2004 or so, along with some other Ohio class SSBN's. But in my day we had the Trident C's with the MIRVs.
Yes, started the conversion to SSGN in 2003 or so, then stationed in Kings Bay afterwards. But you claimed you did patrols in the Atlantic, which is not true as the USS Florida never did a patrol in the Atlantic having been stationed in Bangor after its commissioning and until its conversion.

Quote:
NEC's? LOL--can I remember? We called 'em "ratings" back then, with NEC as a sub-classification for ET. At Great Mistakes, ILL you either went ET Comm or Nav. I think maybe my NEC was 14AA & AB but owuld have to check my DD214 to be sure.
They are still called ratings, it has nothing to do with "back then" since I was in the Navy the same time you claimed. You did not either go ET Comms or Nav at Great Lakes as the school is in Groton, and the rating merge did not start until 1995. Trident comms operator "A" school is in either Bangor or Kings Bay depending what boat your orders were to after the basic submarine comms "A" school in Groton.

Before the ratings merged, an "ET comms" was simply a Radioman.

No one forgets their NEC unless they have medical problems, that is something always ingrained in someone's head.

Sorry, but your post does not bolster your claim at all to have been stationed on the USS Florida. It seems that you have "half knowledge" as in you do have access to some knowledge someone that was in the Navy would know, but it is full of inconsistencies, and false information.

While I am one of the last people to ever call someone out on a false claim, but given the incorrect info you provide on a boat I was on, I have to so far, unless you provide more info and/or clarification, claim that you are not being truthful.

Which crew were you on?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:25 AM

361 posts, read 270,993 times
I'm not trying to get into the middle of this but I had to laugh at your statement that no one forgets their NEC. I haven't thought of mine in well over 10 years and remembered it as soon as I read your sentence. Although in fairness I also had an instructor NEC which eludes my memory.

As an aside, why is there no mention of MT's? If memory serves correctly they were the baddest of the bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues