U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:18 PM

461 posts, read 672,311 times

Advertisements

From what I've heard, medical personnel are the most likely to be recalled from retired status. I've never heard of non-retired folks being recalled, although I'm sure its possible - it can't be easy, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 02:04 PM

6,351 posts, read 13,401,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
When I retired, I had to attend a class called 'TAPP' [mostly on how to be a civilian and making a resume]. They made a point of how at first we transfer to the 'Fleet Reserve' and stay there for 10-years. While in the 'Fleet Reserve' if the DOD wants us they can easily call us up.

After that we transfer to 'Retired Rolls'. On 'Retired Rolls' it is harder for the DOD to reach us since it then requires Congressional approval.

My 10-year point was March 2010. Nothing happened. My pay still goes into my bank. I kind of expected to see a letter informing me that I had been 'transferred', but there was nothing. Things may have changed. Though I am not sure if I care.

Thanks for the more precise info, Forest Beekeeper! I guess I've been out of uniform that I don't remember all of the military programs and procedures. I'm sure all five branches have the same requirements. Just call it by different names.

Might be interesting if I got called up now. While the F-15s I worked on are still in service, many of the maintenance procedures (we finally got rid of most paper aircraft maintenance forms!!!) are different. So it'd be a bit of a learning curve. Still remember my engine run emergency procedures by heart, though!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:14 PM

1,583 posts, read 1,924,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
I've never heard of non-retired folks being recalled, although I'm sure its possible - it can't be easy, though.
You have now. I was recalled from non-retired (IRR) status in the early 90s during the first Gulf War.

They send orders to the last known address on record with a NLT report date-that's why you have to update it yearly. I found out later they don't actually expect a 100% yield. We all called SATO, booked a ticket, showed up at Benning, got inprocessed.

The ones who didn't show essentially got a notice 3-4 weeks later 'never mind', but that was a one-time thing. Technically UCMJ could have been applied, but nobody I know of got zapped for just not showing.

Some of those who did show were sent home-medical, etc. The rest of us went through refresher training-basically a very truncated version of infantry AIT, PT test, ranges, NBC, etc.-while awaiting word of what we would do.

The war started and ended while we were there at Benning. After the war ended, we were outprocessed with about 30 more days on our DD214, and sent home.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 599 times
I am Enlisted on Indef Status. I want to resign my status and get out of the Army. I have 14 + years and would have 15 when I get out. My reasons are seven total deployments and I want to be closer to my 5 year old son. Two of my 4187's for reassignment have been dissaproved by my Command. So now I am looking into getting out so that I can be closer to my family!! Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:46 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,982,523 times
I think if the big one ever hit, congress would change the rules and anybody who ever served would be getting a draft card in the mail with orders to report. This I think would be mostly medical and certain mos and other jobs ones that require several years of training to get up to speed mainly the 6 year enlistment people, ie Navy nuc's, if the Navy had to go to a 600 ship fleet again...

Old 01-03-2013, 10:02 AM

461 posts, read 672,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
I think if the big one ever hit, congress would change the rules and anybody who ever served would be getting a draft card in the mail with orders to report. This I think would be mostly medical and certain mos and other jobs ones that require several years of training to get up to speed mainly the 6 year enlistment people, ie Navy nuc's, if the Navy had to go to a 600 ship fleet again...
The rules for doing this are already embedded in the current Selective Service enabling legislation. There are different "triggers" for different actions. It would take a very large "balloon" going up for this sort of recall.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,982,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
The rules for doing this are already embedded in the current Selective Service enabling legislation. There are different "triggers" for different actions. It would take a very large "balloon" going up for this sort of recall.
Hence the big one... WWIII

Old 01-03-2013, 07:20 PM

13,169 posts, read 5,264,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Once someone does 20 and retires they are subject to recall for life?
I never heard of that either, maybe it applies to certain career fields and up to certain ranks. If someone does 20 and their health is not up to par they cannot force you to do anything anyway.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:51 PM

2,694 posts, read 2,130,176 times
Recall eligibility for officers after retirement usually ends after 5 years. Not too many recalled unvoluntarily but it happens. Lots of mobilization triggers would have to occur first.

Don't know about enlisted but usually if the service needs more of a specialty they just increase the intake for that specialty or allow branch transfers with bonuses.

General Officers are always recall eligible and are recalled often usually for specific reasons/timelines. When the President asks you to do something, you do it.

I was recalled to active duty, was IRR. Not retired, not GO. They just needed my specialty. And it was more or less voluntary. I got a phone call from branch saying we would like to recall you, would you volunteer to serve if called? before they cut any orders or anything.

So in response, the likelihood that a retiree would be recalled is minimal and it probably would be a voluntary recall. There are just too many other people eligible who would step up and do so.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 PM

17,655 posts, read 19,078,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
As far as I know, enlisted men only have an 8-year obligation [unless they do 20].

I did 20 and I am now obligated for life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
That is what I believe to be correct...

Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Technically (unless things have changed) a JAG Officer told me about 20 years ago: "you do not retire, you are in the inactive reserves at a reduced rate of pay"

But that is really not a realistic issue for many of us...

Rich

Military Retirees, those who spend at least 20 years in the military and draw retired pay, can be recalled to active duty for life. However, the policy which is established in DOD Directive 1352.1 - Management and Mobilization of Regular and Reserve Retired Military Members, make recall to active duty unlikely for those who have been retired for more than five years, and those over age 60. The directive is a bit vague, but if you wish to read it you can view the PDF document from the DEFENSE TECHNICAL INFORMATION CENTER here: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/135201p.pdf

"4. POLICY
4.1. It is DoD policy that military retirees be ordered to active duty as needed to perform
such duties as the Secretary concerned considers necessary in the interests of national defense as
described in Sections 12301 and 688 of reference (b)."

There are probably some exceptions in other regulations... But don't worry, if they call you back, they have to pay you. You might also get promoted...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues