U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 PM

467 posts, read 1,276,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post

So in response, the likelihood that a retiree would be recalled is minimal and it probably would be a voluntary recall. There are just too many other people eligible who would step up and do so.
Minimal with one exception - medical personnel. They have an excellent chance of getting recalled and it has happened several times. In some cases, they are called back to take stateside medical billets and then the guys who held the stateside billets are deployed.

A lot of these recalls are "voluntold" - they call you to ask and if you make a big stink about it, they go to the next guy on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 01:46 PM

24,129 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
Minimal with one exception - medical personnel.
I would just say Minimal, it depends... I worked with a retired Navy Captain who served as a JAG Officer during WWII. When I asked why he obviously went over 20 years, he said he was called up voluntarily during Korea and Vietnam...

Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 AM

90 posts, read 166,220 times
Greetings,

I have a couple of questions. I tried researchig this on the net, but wanted to get a confirmation kill from you'all.
Back ground.
6 years in Navy.
Enlisted.
Hospital Corpsman (NEC 8404)
Honorable discharge
I have about 18 months left to serve in the inactive reserves (8 year package)

I plan on doing a lot of traveling this year and I'm interested in getting a Military I.D. for entrance to military bases and such. The logistical support would be great! It would be like having F.O.B. to collapse to if had issues on the road. I'll most likely take a Motorcycle.

As we know, I'm in the Inactive reserves, but on my last day, I asked about getting a I.D. for the IRR, and they seemed confused, and said to try a reserve center. I did not go to one.

It's been 3 months later, and I'd like to go to my support office and pick up an I.D.

However, I'm thinking that I'll have to muster at certain dates, and keep a sea bag at the ready. I'd like to travel as far as Alaska this year. I'd rather not be tied down.

I know the great pros to having a Military I.D. and getting "set-up in the inactive reserve matrix."
What are the cons?

Thanks for reading.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:06 AM

24,129 posts, read 38,859,608 times
There are IRR ID cards. Uniformed Services ID Card
Covered the the DoD Regulation: http://www.cac.mil/docs/DODI-1000.13.pdf

Quote:
However, I'm thinking that I'll have to muster at certain dates, and keep a sea bag at the ready.
I don't think so. But I am not sure what privileges you will have with the card...

Old 01-06-2014, 10:37 AM

4,549 posts, read 8,001,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When I retired, I had to attend a class called 'TAPP' [mostly on how to be a civilian and making a resume]. They made a point of how at first we transfer to the 'Fleet Reserve' and stay there for 10-years. While in the 'Fleet Reserve' if the DOD wants us they can easily call us up.

After that we transfer to 'Retired Rolls'. On 'Retired Rolls' it is harder for the DOD to reach us since it then requires Congressional approval.

My 10-year point was March 2010. Nothing happened. My pay still goes into my bank. I kind of expected to see a letter informing me that I had been 'transferred', but there was nothing. Things may have changed. Though I am not sure if I care.

It has nothing to do with a "10-year" point, it is when you reach 30 years from your active duty service date. You are in the Fleet Reserve until you get to the 30 year point then you are transferred to the retired list. You are supposed to receive a certificate in the mail when you are transferred to the retired list and can request it if you did not get yours.

If you stayed in 26 years then you would only be in the Fleet Reserve for 4 years before you were retired.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:48 PM

3,192 posts, read 4,232,952 times
Deployed with a COL back in '10-'11 to OEF who was recalled out of retirement. I actually don't think he minded it at all, he worked about 5 hours a day for 3-4 days a week meeting with local politicians. He never carried water with him, his interpreter carried his M9 for him and he never wore his side plates on his IOTV. I'm sure he was making a pretty penny.

BTW, I believe everyone has an 8 year contract now regardless of if you are enlisted or commissioned. I know for commissioned: USMA is 5 active, 3 IRR; ROTC is 4/4 and OCS is 3/5.

But we're in a big time draw down, looking to get rid of CPT's and MAJ's. I've also read, I think it was a MILPER, that said they'd even waive ADSO for things like paying for grad school.

Does anyone else see a problem in the future by cutting CPT's and MAJ's now, where is the experience going to be when the next war breaks out? Just like how NCO's were promoted so quick in the past few years, we have 20 year old SGT's and some SFC's in their mid-20's.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:27 PM

193 posts, read 315,214 times
When we brought back the battleships, it was necessary to recall old experienced sailors to run the old gun systems and old engine room equipment. If you look at your retirement check long enough, you can see the hook embedded in that bait. :-) I'm 70 but on good days I would go back.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:02 PM

90 posts, read 166,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
There are IRR ID cards. Uniformed Services ID Card
Covered the the DoD Regulation: http://www.cac.mil/docs/DODI-1000.13.pdf

I don't think so. But I am not sure what privileges you will have with the card...

Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know how things go this week.

Have a great week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues