Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 01:36 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Once someone does 20 and retires they are subject to recall for life?
Technically (unless things have changed) a JAG Officer told me about 20 years ago: "you do not retire, you are in the inactive reserves at a reduced rate of pay"

But that is really not a realistic issue for many of us...

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 02:57 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
This isn't completely true. During your initial obligation, you can go from AD to IRR without submitting a resignation.
In 19 years, I have never seen a fellow officer NOT submit their resignation packet-- whether or not they left the Army at 3 years (5 remaining in the Reserves/IRR) or whether they were at the 10 yr mark and were not required to go into Reserves/IRR. We don't have ETS dates. You have to tell the Army you are leaving the service. The resignation packet is that mechanism.

Applicable reg on officer transfers/discharges. http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r600_8_24.pdf

Obviously those eligible to retire don't resign.

Last edited by ArtyGuy; 04-08-2012 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: Added link

Old 04-08-2012, 03:00 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Once someone does 20 and retires they are subject to recall for life?
Yes.

I am.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:37 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
Used to be the period of recall for a retired officer was up to 5 years unless you were a general officer for which it was life. Or you have a special or particular skill that may be required again.

I was not aware that enlisted have an extended or life time recall after retirement. But they may.

It would be in your retirement orders either way.

I was recalled once and 10 years later I submitted my request for release from active duty and was told I would be immediately recalled so they would end up keeping me on active duty anyway. So I resigned my commission.

That was some years back and my guess with the current OPTEMPO the requirements are looser than they were then. And I know we dipped into the IRR deeper during the Iraqi War than we ever had.

So I guess the upshot is to anticipate the possibility of recall for a time, it happens ,depending upon the needs of the service.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:40 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
In 19 years, I have never seen a fellow officer NOT submit their resignation packet-- whether or not they left the Army at 3 years (5 remaining in the Reserves/IRR) or whether they were at the 10 yr mark and were not required to go into Reserves/IRR. We don't have ETS dates. You have to tell the Army you are leaving the service. The resignation packet is that mechanism.

Applicable reg on officer transfers/discharges. http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r600_8_24.pdf

Obviously those eligible to retire don't resign.

I never was an officer holding an active duty commission, so you're more right than I am.

However, it should be remembered that officer commissions are issued by the active Army, the Federal Reserves and the National Guard. They are similar, but not the same, and switching from one Army entity to another sometimes requires the resigning of one commission and accepting another. For instance, when I switched from the Reserves to the Guard, I was required to surrender my Reserve commission in exchange for a Guard commission. Technically, I resigned my commission but, in actual fact, I just got another one in a seamless transition. (Or, more correctly, would have. It was the Guard which caught up with my lack of hearing and when I could not meet their request for a new, individual hearing test, I transferred to the IRR with my reserve commission intact.)

The point is that there is resigning a commission and, "resigning" a commission, if you know what I mean.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:32 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times
I guess one way around it would be to gain a bunch of weight. Get a double Master Sargent belly and give up coffee. Real old timers can't function unless they have at least 25 cups of coffee a shift.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:17 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I never was an officer holding an active duty commission, so you're more right than I am.

However, it should be remembered that officer commissions are issued by the active Army, the Federal Reserves and the National Guard. They are similar, but not the same, and switching from one Army entity to another sometimes requires the resigning of one commission and accepting another. For instance, when I switched from the Reserves to the Guard, I was required to surrender my Reserve commission in exchange for a Guard commission. Technically, I resigned my commission but, in actual fact, I just got another one in a seamless transition. (Or, more correctly, would have. It was the Guard which caught up with my lack of hearing and when I could not meet their request for a new, individual hearing test, I transferred to the IRR with my reserve commission intact.)

The point is that there is resigning a commission and, "resigning" a commission, if you know what I mean.
I know what you mean. However, I think a USAR and RA commission are one in the same as it is a federal commission. The NG commissions obviously are different.

I'm certainly not trying to argue with anybody. I have watched many officers over the years with various years of service leave active duty. Perhaps the term "resignation" is used too liberally. In any event, because we're are considered INDEF, an officer has to request to leave.

Personally, I don't have to worry about it. I'll be submitting retirement paperwork in a few years. I will say that it's a nice feeling to know I could submit my paperwork today.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Yes.

I am.

I've read that the definition of U.S. military retired pay is: "Reduced compensation for continued service". Yep, we're technically "on the hook" for recall as long as we live. I think there's a 10-year window when you first retire that they'd probably recall you if the need is there. After that, it pretty much have to be a REALLY big need.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:06 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I've read that the definition of U.S. military retired pay is: "Reduced compensation for continued service". Yep, we're technically "on the hook" for recall as long as we live. I think there's a 10-year window when you first retire that they'd probably recall you if the need is there. After that, it pretty much have to be a REALLY big need.
When I retired, I had to attend a class called 'TAPP' [mostly on how to be a civilian and making a resume]. They made a point of how at first we transfer to the 'Fleet Reserve' and stay there for 10-years. While in the 'Fleet Reserve' if the DOD wants us they can easily call us up.

After that we transfer to 'Retired Rolls'. On 'Retired Rolls' it is harder for the DOD to reach us since it then requires Congressional approval.

My 10-year point was March 2010. Nothing happened. My pay still goes into my bank. I kind of expected to see a letter informing me that I had been 'transferred', but there was nothing. Things may have changed. Though I am not sure if I care.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:13 AM

934 posts, read 1,938,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
This isn't completely true. During your initial obligation, you can go from AD to IRR without submitting a resignation.

IRR isn't a resignation - IRR is still subject to recall, its just a more remote possibility.

Of course, if you were to amputate a limb, or commit a felony...there are ways to render oneself ineligible for recall....depends on your level of panic, I guess....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues