U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2012, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Louisville, KY
41 posts, read 117,827 times
Reputation: 65

Advertisements

I spent 8 years active duty in the Marines and received my honorable discharge in 2008. I know when I went in that it was an 8 year commitment and I did my time on active duty. I was under the impression that once I got out and I had done my 8 years, I was not subject to recall, unless it was a national emergency and then only if Congress voted to do a a recall of vets that were no longer had any obligated service.

Now that I have been back in the civilian world for 4 years, I am wondering about this. Can anybody answer these 2 questions?

1. Am I subject to recall. If so, what would the circumstances be for the recall.

2. Your source of information,I.E. website, reference etc etc.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2012, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Ashburn, VA
467 posts, read 1,276,184 times
Reputation: 372
It depends. Were you an officer? If you were an officer and your IRR time is up but you failed to resign your commission properly, you are somewhat easier to recall. If you were enlisted, or resigned your commission, its pretty darn tough. Certainly would take an act of Congress.

I don't have an cites, but the information is out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2012, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Louisville, KY
41 posts, read 117,827 times
Reputation: 65
I was on the enlisted side. I know the sources are out there, tried a Google search of every combination of words I can think of. No luck so far.

Thanks anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2012, 08:10 PM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
24,130 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Reputation: 28092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan2099 View Post
tried a Google search of every combination of words I can think of.

Try starting your search here: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/se...0active%20duty


Good luck...

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 04:41 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,078 posts, read 17,027,829 times
Reputation: 7701
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
It depends. Were you an officer? If you were an officer and your IRR time is up but you failed to resign your commission properly, you are somewhat easier to recall. If you were enlisted, or resigned your commission, its pretty darn tough. Certainly would take an act of Congress.

I don't have an cites, but the information is out there.

I can't say about the Marines, but to my knowledge, the Army hasn't been accepting commission resignations since the Gulf War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 06:14 AM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
499 posts, read 1,803,120 times
Reputation: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I can't say about the Marines, but to my knowledge, the Army hasn't been accepting commission resignations since the Gulf War.
The Army continues to accept officer resignations. We don't sign "re-enlistment" paperwork to remain on active duty so when an officer decides to leave the Army, they have to submit their resignation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,721 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Reputation: 17560
As far as I know, enlisted men only have an 8-year obligation [unless they do 20].

I did 20 and I am now obligated for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 08:16 AM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
24,130 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Reputation: 28092
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
As far as I know, enlisted men only have an 8-year obligation [unless they do 20].

I did 20 and I am now obligated for life.
That is what I believe to be correct...


Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Ashburn, VA
467 posts, read 1,276,184 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
The Army continues to accept officer resignations. We don't sign "re-enlistment" paperwork to remain on active duty so when an officer decides to leave the Army, they have to submit their resignation.
This isn't completely true. During your initial obligation, you can go from AD to IRR without submitting a resignation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 01:28 PM
 
4,579 posts, read 6,140,145 times
Reputation: 5213
Once someone does 20 and retires they are subject to recall for life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top