Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:29 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
Sometimes, when everything looks bleak, its the little things that can make someone's day.
Yes, Hesky, you couldn't have said it any better. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 06:51 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,923 times
Sorry about your nephew. Hope he does ok. I am glad he has family like you who does what you can for him. Sometimes the little things mean the world to someone. Hang in.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Sorry about your nephew. Hope he does ok. I am glad he has family like you who does what you can for him. Sometimes the little things mean the world to someone. Hang in.
Thank you, masonsdaughter. My nephew, who is only six months younger then my son, means the world to me. The distraught I feel, the helplessness I feel, is indescribable. His mom is obviously much worse off then I am, therefore I'm trying to do the best I can to do what I can.

I'm scared. I'm terrified. I'm inconsolable.

Thank you for your support and kind words.

Regards,

Second Right

Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 PM

961 posts, read 2,503,888 times
"If" you can get the manufacturer to donate a pair..great..If you can afford to replace them at your expense..that is the next option. Waiting for the supply system to issue another pair...maybe/whenever. My son was there last year. The supply issues at his forward operating base made supply issues I encountered years ago seem trivial. Hope your nephew's recovery goes well. I can relate to your concern. My son was shot when their patrol was ambushed.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:28 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
Thank you for your kind response, ArtyGuy. I will look into that tomorrow.
You're welcome. I did forget to mention that Oakley Military Sales requires proof of military service. I believe I had to send them the front of my ID card. On their site, you can get the Oakley's your nephew wants. It's the same pair that I have. Our unit supply sergeants always had ballostic eyewear on hand, but they were made by SES-- as I said, ballitic eyewear is required. The second route is that he orders them through the ADO program. It won't cost him a dime but again, it'll be SES.

I believe the only way the Oakley's were issued was through The rapid fielding initiative (RFI). That's how I received mine.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:31 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I have heard that the soldiers have a particular style of Oakleys they like because of the sunprotection.

Authorized Protective Eyewear List (APEL)

OAKLEY SI BALLISTIC
M FRAME 2.0
NSN: 4240-01-525-3095
RX CAPABLE
@second right
The details above are spot on, i have exactly those still sealed in a packet and that is the information that's on it. I'm British Army but we use the same when we can get them by swapping ours (Sawfly) with US forces, unofficially of course. We're not able to use the Oakleys on task but we use them around the camp as the US ones usually have a black tint whereas ours have a yellow tint.

I hope he gets back to full health soon.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:18 PM

Thank you everyone. Your kind, informative, supportive words have helped me more then I could express on a message board.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Apparently these are the Oakley's that are standard issue to the U.S. Army if that helps any.

Oakley NSN's - ArmyProperty.com

Old 04-24-2012, 02:54 AM

327 posts, read 644,461 times
Sorry to hear about your nephew. I'm not military but I think we might have been on the same base, I know a few people got hurt. I had my bhut burned down as well along with everything inside of it. It sucks, but at least I'm still here.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:10 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I have heard that the soldiers have a particular style of Oakleys they like because of the sunprotection.

Authorized Protective Eyewear List (APEL)

OAKLEY SI BALLISTIC
M FRAME 2.0
NSN: 4240-01-525-3095
RX CAPABLE
I'm in Afghanistan at the moment. The above Oakleys are almost definitely the pair your nephew lost. These aren't standard issue, but they are authorized for wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues