Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 02:56 PM

792 posts, read 2,323,445 times

Advertisements

I occasionally get solicitations from charities that claim to help veterans or currently serving members of the armed forces. I can't give to all of them, so I'd like to know which ones are effective.

So my questions is this:

Based on your experience, which of these charities most merit support? I'm particularly interested in the USO and DAV, and would like to hear what veterans and service members think of these organizations.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 06:51 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,254 times
I'm a big fan of the Wounded Warrior Project and the Fisher House Foundation. You mentioned the USO-- they do great work!

Home - Wounded Warrior Project

Home | Fisher House Foundation

Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
The USO, DAV, Wounded Warrior & Fisher House (as mentioned by Arty Guy) are all terrific charities- they all help Service Members and Vets and are all run very well.

Thank you so much for your interest in donating- it would be so appreciated!

Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,115 times
Beyond the four already mentioned, the Red Cross does a lot of work with service members, especially with emergency services for deployed troops.

Once you get away from these 5, there are way too many "charities" that claim to "support the troops" but have high overhead costs, limited effectiveness, or are just feel-good wastes of time/money.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
The VFW manages a fund to help vets that are down and out. [no administrative fees].

From my own experiences and observations the Red Cross screws up more frequently than they actually manage to get it 'right'.

Got spare food coupons? and want to assist military families in need? Food coupons are honoured and they are still 'good' for an additional 6 months beyond their printed expiration date, at all commissaries over-seas. Send them to:

Naval Support Act - Naples
Family Service Center
Attn: Food Coupon Drive
PSC 817, Box 10
FPO-AE 09622

Thank you.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:47 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
I Just looked some of the organisations that have been mentioned. Looks like they do great work.

Here are links to the main 3 in the UK, incase you were interested.

You can help our heroes live life to the full - give to the Poppy Appeal today - The Poppy Appeal (http://www.poppy.org.uk/support-us/give-money?gclid=CPvwve7Zxq8CFYQMfAod_GLvcQ - broken link)

Help for Heroes

Afghan Heroes - Charity Supporting British Forces in Afghanistan

Old 04-21-2012, 01:58 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The VFW manages a fund to help vets that are down and out. [no administrative fees].

From my own experiences and observations the Red Cross screws up more frequently than they actually manage to get it 'right'.

Got spare food coupons? and want to assist military families in need? Food coupons are honoured and they are still 'good' for an additional 6 months beyond their printed expiration date, at all commissaries over-seas. Send them to:

Naval Support Act - Naples
Family Service Center
Attn: Food Coupon Drive
PSC 817, Box 10
FPO-AE 09622

Thank you.
I see them around the UK at times. Many of them have gone from care homes into the forces and leave with only what they've built up over the years. You can quite often spot them, they carry themselves and their gear with a sense of pride.

I think this charity is a fantastic idea and i'm going to have a word with my Battalion CO to see if my regiment can do something about our old lads that have ended up on the streets, maybe the idea would catch on and other regiments could do the same. We have a Parachute Regiment Charity as do most regiments so the infastructure is already in place.

Forces Charity Gifts - Parachute Regiment Charity - The Forces Store - Supporting Forces Charities & The Family Gift Store for the British Armed Forces

Anyway, thankyou... I'll be having a chat when i go back from leave.

Thankyou.
Baldrick

Old 04-26-2012, 05:21 PM

792 posts, read 2,323,445 times
Thanks for your responses. I just got something from the DAV today.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:04 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
The DAV is an awesome charity. And much needed. They run vans, picking up veterans for appointments to the VA. Mostly volunteer drivers too. Important work. Especially for veterans who can't drive due to vision loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues