U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 12:02 AM

5,501 posts, read 8,199,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Improving Quality of Care: How the VA Outpaces Other Systems in Delivering Patient Care | RAND

It's hard to top veterans' health care - Vital Signs - MarketWatch

And finally this. What other hospital organization in the entire United States reports its results to the public? The answer is---NONE. Only the VA does. Which is another reason their health care results overall are superior to any private operation.

Hospital Report Card 2012 - Veterans Health Administration

What did they do, Use the Generals VA history?

This is more like it:

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-9810...feeds%2Flatest

Last edited by Themanwithnoname; 06-07-2013 at 12:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 01:46 AM

24,196 posts, read 39,065,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post

This is more like it:

Open Letter to the Dept of Veterans Affairs - CNN iReport
No that is a view from one veteran. A tragic story.

But this forum is for discussion, not be used for bashing. Not to engage in harsh, accusatory, threatening criticism. It does not help anyone.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:52 AM

8,644 posts, read 5,141,228 times
Default VA hospitals vs VA disability income

Quote:

This is more like it:

Open Letter to the Dept of Veterans Affairs - CNN iReport
Please note that the article you cite is about a veteran complaining about the amount of "MONEY" he is receiving from the VA, not about health care provided by VA hospitals. That is really a completely different story. VA hospitals do not provide disability income to veterans, they provide health care. Though both parts may fall under Veterans Benefits, they do not have the same operational mission.

And if you really want a comparison on Veterans Hospitals compared to privately run hospitals, just google "How our hospitals are killing us" and read a few horror stories.

Or read Dr. Marty Makarty's book, Unaccountable, to help you better understand just how good VA health care really is compared to the private sector.

Trailer for Unaccountable---

Unaccountable by Marty Makary, M.D. - YouTube

Old 06-07-2013, 12:56 PM

5,501 posts, read 8,199,305 times
Quote:
Please note that the article you cite is about a veteran complaining about the amount of "MONEY" he is receiving from the VA, not about health care provided by VA hospitals. That is really a completely different story. VA hospitals do not provide disability income to veterans, they provide health care. Though both parts may fall under Veterans Benefits, they do not have the same operational mission.

And if you really want a comparison on Veterans Hospitals compared to privately run hospitals, just google "How our hospitals are killing us" and read a few horror stories.

Or read Dr. Marty Makarty's book, Unaccountable, to help you better understand just how good VA health care really is compared to the private sector.

Trailer for Unaccountable---

Unaccountable by Marty Makary, M.D. - YouTube

The medical assessment for compensation IS RUN BY THE DOCTORS IN THE VA HOSPITALS.

If a VA doctor in a VA hospital isn't VA healthcare... I don't know what is!

Otherwise... if you want to nitpick about him... feel free to use my recent experience I posted about.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:47 PM

8,644 posts, read 5,141,228 times
Default The system works for groups

Quote:
The medical assessment for compensation IS RUN BY THE DOCTORS IN THE VA HOSPITALS.

If a VA doctor in a VA hospital isn't VA healthcare... I don't know what is!

Otherwise... if you want to nitpick about him... feel free to use my recent experience I posted about.
As I said before, the system works well for groups. I'd be extremely surprised to find out "working" physicians have time to sit on boards assessing individuals, even though the boards may be made up of physicians who review "working" physicians' findings.

But regardless, funding is now limited for the VA which has increasing numbers of people coming into the system. And the most recent criticism of the VA has been about disability compensation levels:
Quote:
The Department of Veterans Affairs lost $943 million from 1993 to 2009 in overpayments to veterans who had received a 100 percent disability rating, according to an audit by the VA’s Inspector General.

The Veterans Benefits Administration failed to adequately track veterans’ health through follow-up exams to validate the 100 percent rating. Losing track of their progress resulted in thousands of veterans receiving payments that the VA later determined they should not have received.

The House Veterans Affairs Committee’s disability assistance panel held a hearing Tuesday on Capitol Hill to discuss to overpayments that were overseen by the Veterans Benefits Administration.
VA Overpaid Disabled Vets $943 Million | Military.com
My guess is that whoever is providing oversight of disability income is now under the gun. That combined with a lack of increased funding is going to leave some individuals paying the price for political decisions--just like it happens in every other area of our society.

And none of this changes the fact that VA hospitals still offer the best care in the nation.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 06-07-2013 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: formatting

Old 06-08-2013, 05:49 AM

4,679 posts, read 4,512,024 times
Quote:
As I said before, the system works well for groups. I'd be extremely surprised to find out "working" physicians have time to sit on boards assessing individuals, even though the boards may be made up of physicians who review "working" physicians' findings.

But regardless, funding is now limited for the VA which has increasing numbers of people coming into the system. And the most recent criticism of the VA has been about disability compensation levels:

VA Overpaid Disabled Vets $943 Million | Military.com
My guess is that whoever is providing oversight of disability income is now under the gun. That combined with a lack of increased funding is going to leave some individuals paying the price for political decisions--just like it happens in every other area of our society.

And none of this changes the fact that VA hospitals still offer the best care in the nation.

I so agree with that. Although I am not receiving VA Care yet I am certain I will be under their care in a few years. It is too bad that the VA staff mismanaged that. It shows us that many of the offices are understaffed and overworked. That is not a systemic failure with the entire care system. It only shows that the bean counters are short handed. Just my opinion.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:38 AM

29,759 posts, read 47,624,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I so agree with that. Although I am not receiving VA Care yet I am certain I will be under their care in a few years. It is too bad that the VA staff mismanaged that. It shows us that many of the offices are understaffed and overworked. That is not a systemic failure with the entire care system. It only shows that the bean counters are short handed. Just my opinion.
I am a member of a fraternity that supports a private network of Children's Hospitals. They focus on both: prosthetics for amputees and gait analysis, so patients can go on to be active in sports activities; and brain / spinal rehabilitation. This network of hospitals include regional Burn Centers, and reconstructive cosmetic surgery. These hospitals are fully staffed and equipped. There has been on-going negotiation between this network and the VA. To allow VA patients in over-worked facilities to flow over to the empty beds in these private hospitals. Of course it only works when the vets need the types of services that our network provides [prosthetics, gait analysis, brain / spinal injuries, burn treatment and reconstructive cosmetic surgery]. So far there have not been any press releases on this negotiation; we expect to hear a final deal being inked soon.

The fraternity pays for the hospitals, equipment and staff; the costs are nearly the same if beds are full or empty. it only makes sense for the beds to be filled. If the bureaucrats allow the deal to be signed, he treatment of vets should be improved.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:04 AM

6,076 posts, read 10,756,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Because we all know that no one ever dies in "real" hospitals, do they?
Always someone out there who has to be a smart mouth about any subject they don't agree with you on and attack you trying to funny.

I've heard great things about the Audy Murphy VA hospital in Texas, but here in Ohio Brookpark suck a big one. Even my freind thought that all they wanted to do is eat up his insurance and the nurses were have'n problems trying to get the so-called doctors to listen to them. In the final day of his life hangin on the edge of death the idiots wanted to put him on mechines to get him to hang on when THEY new he was dying. And he had signed a "no life support" form. His wife stood her ground and told them "NO" that was not his wishes. But yet they kept pushing, I think they were trying to cover up their stupidity.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:13 PM

16,119 posts, read 20,198,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I am posting this on behalf of my dad, who is a Vietnam War vet. My parents live in Mississippi and are thinking of moving to Michigan to be near us. One reason is simply age and having no family in Mississippi, but another is the MS VA system.

My dad is 100% disabled (DAV), and the VA Hospital in Jackson, MS is threatening to take away his status (i.e. bust him down to 80 % or 30% disabled or even say he's not disabled) not because my dad works or makes money or is "normal". I promise none of those are true. They sent similar letters to hundreds of MS disabled vets and forced them to drive to Jackson to fight the VA. They were told if they didn't come to a hearing that they forfeited their rights.

My dad's question is (and mine): is this sort of thing also happening in Michigan? He called his friends in Oklahoma and Texas, and none of them are dealing with this. He is hoping Michigan treats their vets better than Mississippi and doesn't harass and threaten them. The Mississippi VA does this every few years, and it's very stressful to everyone.

If anyone has any input, it is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Have you checked with the DAV or other Veterans Groups that have Service Officers? I would be in my Congressmans Office

Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 AM

16,119 posts, read 20,198,117 times
These are make work projects used to justify some political employee having a desk and salary. Is your father old enough to be retired? Is he compitent, does someone handle his money. These are issues I had to hanle with a Social Security review a couple years ago. In order to make my son work they would need to have Social Security and the VA declare him compitent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues