U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:02 AM

3,267 posts, read 4,777,121 times

Advertisements

The VA in realty needs to double in size to serve those who served.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 10:56 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times
Welcome to Socialized Medicine...

Old 07-21-2012, 06:44 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,543,961 times
It does depend on what Priority group you are in at the time. I went from priority group 2 to 1. I see a huge difference in my appointment time. At the time I was being seen in Fayetteville and Durham. I haven't waited more than 2 weeks to get a primary care appointment. In priority group 2, I remember waiting 30-90 days. I feel your pain with the long waits. I've been there.
I will be going to Ann Arbor VA started next month so I see how that goes. But I called to make a appointment with primary care yesterday and it is scheduled in 10 days. Not too bad.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:42 AM

3,267 posts, read 4,777,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Welcome to Socialized Medicine...
On a starvation diet... If the VA had a fraction of medicaid funding there would be no problem..

In actuality in would be better to move the VA under medicaid so they could draw from an unlimited pool of money and the vets get the treatment they deserve.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,307 times
im service connected at 80 percent i received a letter from the VA stating that they requested a periodic exam what should i expect from this and is this normal?

Old 07-29-2012, 11:59 AM

1,213 posts, read 4,238,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I thought the VA was federal. Not sure how the state could impact that unless directed by the feds to say...do a comprehensive review of all the members status in their states or something.

I'm a vet but not under any VA care etc. I have no personal knowledge of any of the conditions of people on the internet so I take it on faith that everything is above board.

I do work in a federal govt job, surrounded my military and previously military now goveernment civil service. I am astonished by the number of claims and the amounts that people get. I do often feel that truly disabled vets and the rest of us are getting ripped off. Just because someone in the military doesn't mean they aren't human and capable of outright dissembling, lying to themselves, being neurotic before they ever enlisted (lots of that!) with their problems mostly based on that..lots of people getting 30% because they hurt their knee playing softball while enlisted and never left the states.

Its not popular tto question benefits and some people won't get taken off benefits that should and some that shouldn't will....I don't know the answer

but in order to take good care of vets that truly need help the claims system needs to be reworked.

One of my co-workers gets 10% for a toe/foot injury that she got tripping over her cat in the middle of the night....just before she was supposed to deploy. She's about 30 and will get that 10% of officer pay for the rest of her life? Why? Oh and btw - she competes in some sort of horse riding and rides 3 times a week. She laughs about it. Wears a lanyard with "PATRIOT", is super conservative. Her husband gets a bunch of bennies too and is also civil service.
I think its BS. I could go on. Way worse than people ripping off the welfare system IMO. (and if she reads this she will know I'm talking about her)

OP - I'm not talking about your Dad. What I'm saying is that the over prescription of people getting benefits for stupid normal life sh*t not related to actual military service is hurting your Dad's benefits.

i can remember a lady getting 100% disability for having a breakdown during bootcamp.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:17 PM

1,213 posts, read 4,238,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old vet View Post
I'm a 20 % disabled Veit Nam vet so I have to make an appointment once a year to keep my statis alive. It is federal so the state should have nothing to do with it. As far as taxesMichigan isn't cheap, In fact they just passed a new tax that takes $67.00 a month from my pention. since I am old, have a disability so is impossiable in Michigans job market to make up that short fall. I can aprecat My insurance company getting a tax cut at my expence with out raising my insurance cost they put more in their well lined pockets.

Any way I first was going to Saginaw's VA hospital. I was asigned a doctor and jumped thru all the hoops to to conferm my disability. Made the yearly appointments as required then I was given a nurse practiner and the doctor taken away. She seemed to have a fight to pick wth VETS always giving them greif on there visits ( waiting for your name to be called gives you lots of time to talk to other vets.). Finally they started giving me a bunch of crap on my travel pay. I went to the counties vertans assistence office as well as my branch helper and filed a complaint. They then made room for me at the Flint branch of the Ann Arbor VA hospital.
Again I have a doctor but all is not well. Appointments were cancled on me just a day or so before they were to take place for no reason given. You could never get another appointment except 30 or more days latter. After several had been cancled I got fed up and contacted Sentor Debbie Stabinou. They now have straightened up and are flying right.
But all is not bright. I lost all my health insurance when My old company went bankrupt,. The VA has been working since April 2011 to stablize my blood sugar. It was stable on the otside with readdings in the evening well below the 120 mark and morning readings near that mark.
I went back to the Antigue meds the VA provides, Have to buy my simbastation out of pocket cause the VA won't cover the cost and out of my pocket at another sourse is cheaper. I went from 16 units of insulin to 50 units twice a day and my readding are rarely below 200 hundred.
they do not provide the newer meds I was taking on the out side when I had health insurance.
Never been to the Ann Arbor hospital so can't comment on it.

sorry you are having a hard time with getting medical care.

one thing i have noticed is the VA hospitals are becoming so much busier because people are losing their health insurance and coming to the VA for the first time. in Detroit we keep adding parking structure levels to accommodate the uptick of new patients and still our lots overfill.

As far as some medications not being covered....

Many times pharmaceutical companies come out with new and expensive medication and push the new drugs to doctors; they give the doctors kick backs in form of "freebies" and free trips. The doctors then start write prescriptions for these new medications. Many times the older medications are just as good as the new ones except the older ones have cheaper generic formulas... the new medications do not and cost double and triple the cost.

Also, sometimes the new medications are combination meds. The new combo form is brand name, but if you take the 2 meds separately it will be cheaper because there is a generic (cheaper) substitute.

The VA health system is different than the private sector. If a private sector needs to make more money to cover costs, the hospital just passes on the costs to the customers insurance company. If the VA needs more money... the VA administration has to go to Congress (way and means committee) for an increase.

People (tax payers) want it both ways... less taxes AND an increase in benefits... you just can't have it both ways.

So Sir, in your case, I suspect the Simvastatin is not covered by the VA because you could take a different "statin" that has a generic form. Both meds are in the same family of drugs and have similar effects. VA is just trying to save tax payers money by buying the cheaper version.

HTH, and thank you for your service.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:37 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,964,244 times
My dad does not have to pay any taxes in Mississippi on his VA disability. In Michigan, he has to report it as income and pay taxes on it. This is what I understand. He is not happy about this, as it will reduce his take-home pay. Also, in his county in MS, he does not have to pay real estate taxes since he is 100% DAV. He will have to pay in MI.

Thanks for the info about the VAs there. At this point, my mom's failing health has created an either or for him: either move to MI with mom and deal with the taxes and VA there, or stay in MS alone and travel 2 hours to closest VA. When I originally posted this, my mom was healthier and able to assist him as they lived alone. This is no longer possible.

Thanks again! I'll keep reading everyone's posts!

Old 07-29-2012, 04:09 PM

213 posts, read 588,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
My dad does not have to pay any taxes in Mississippi on his VA disability. In Michigan, he has to report it as income and pay taxes on it. This is what I understand. He is not happy about this, as it will reduce his take-home pay. Also, in his county in MS, he does not have to pay real estate taxes since he is 100% DAV. He will have to pay in MI.

Thanks for the info about the VAs there. At this point, my mom's failing health has created an either or for him: either move to MI with mom and deal with the taxes and VA there, or stay in MS alone and travel 2 hours to closest VA. When I originally posted this, my mom was healthier and able to assist him as they lived alone. This is no longer possible.

Thanks again! I'll keep reading everyone's posts!
The income taxes may be taken out of his check, but given his status (and consult a tax professional), he will likely get a state tax refund every year.

As for property taxes, that's a no-brainer. Have your parents rent instead of buy. It doesn't really sound like they are up for maintaining their own property anymore anyway.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:51 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,964,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspper69 View Post
The income taxes may be taken out of his check, but given his status (and consult a tax professional), he will likely get a state tax refund every year.

As for property taxes, that's a no-brainer. Have your parents rent instead of buy. It doesn't really sound like they are up for maintaining their own property anymore anyway.
Thanks for your point about a refund.

You're correct about them not being able to keep up property. If the decision were mine, I'd put them in an apartment, but it's not. My dad has hobbies that require space, and he's unwilling (or unable) to bend. The reality of age hasn't sunk in yet, I'm afraid. He's struggling to deal with the issues at hand. I'm struggling to be patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues