U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 04:21 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,163,398 times

Advertisements

You expected your friend to be immortal? If you want to pay to have the same doctor operate on you that the VA would provide, that's up to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 04:32 PM

302 posts, read 342,334 times
I am so sorry about your friends not receiving adequate care and losing their lives. I have known several vets that absolutely hate the VA healthcare system, but I have to tell you that they do save lives as well.

My husband had very aggressive prostate cancer, and he was treated surgically at Audie Murphy in San Antonio. He is fine now and has been cancer free for about 8 years now. He now receives his healthcare at the VA hospital in Denver, and everyone we have met there so far has been helpful, respectful and competent.

I guess the VA is just like any other hospital, some are good and some are bad, just as there good and bad healthcare providers in civilian life.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:35 AM

6,076 posts, read 10,743,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKittehs View Post
I am so sorry about your friends not receiving adequate care and losing their lives. I have known several vets that absolutely hate the VA healthcare system, but I have to tell you that they do save lives as well.

My husband had very aggressive prostate cancer, and he was treated surgically at Audie Murphy in San Antonio. He is fine now and has been cancer free for about 8 years now. He now receives his healthcare at the VA hospital in Denver, and everyone we have met there so far has been helpful, respectful and competent.

I guess the VA is just like any other hospital, some are good and some are bad, just as there good and bad healthcare providers in civilian life.
Thanks BadKittehs for you input, "by the way, love the name"

I have heard good things about Audie Murphy hospital in Texas. The Wadpark VA in Cleveland is probibly one of the worst, the staff there are rude and most of the act like you own them something for some reason.

I'm glad to hear that your DH is doing so well and may the two of you have a long and wonderful life..

As for the other persons reply, your statement was rude and uncalled for . All three of my freinds were good people and deserved to be treated better than what they got at the Cleveland VA. And being that we Vets served our Nation in the manor that we did. We all deserve better medical care and respect than any politician, draft dodger, or their families.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:04 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,175,418 times
Had a GREAT TIME recently...

Started trying to schedule a Neuro appointment in JANUARY.
(Injury getting worse)

In April I get to see the primary care Doctor who does nothing more than request the appointment.

The Neuro appointment is at the end of July.

I asked the Doctor if I could get another Cortisone shot, or if it would interfere with the accessment.
He said to ask the Neuro team.

I called them OVER AND OVER... they do not take calls, you can only leave a message.

NONE of them were returned.

I FINALLY went down there and did a 'sit in' the other day... FIVE HOURS later they tell me 'You can get the shot, but only from your primary care doctor.' (Did I mention these are in 2 different cities.)

So I call him.

He says that he will need to order it and it may take weeks.

So the nurse who is on the phone with me recommends I go to urgent care at the hospital and get it.

Long story short... I got accused of being someone looking for drugs (I asked for a steroid injection... not pain pills, I have those) And I got a DIFFERENT steroid shot in the arm... (Into the spine is what works, but I was at the point of taking anything I could get) NOT what I asked for... and was told I'd get... and it's not helping.

This was yesterday.

One more day and I'm going to start it over again. The pain is to the point where I'm nearly nonfunctional.
(Can only focus for short periods of time) -Service connected spinal injury
I've been here before, the shot would clear it right up... if I could get it.

Va "Care" is a JOKE...

I spoke with "Patient advocates" on the phone who REFUSED TO HELP ME, just trying to get a simple question answered and ended up having to drive 1.5 hours one way and SIT THERE till I could get a simple "No, it's not a problem" Answer... because no one would help me.

The bad thing:
This isn't the first time I've had to do something like this for simple answers.

Fire them all I say.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:39 AM

335 posts, read 561,997 times
I've heard great things about the VA in Pittsburgh and Reno

Old 05-28-2013, 02:12 PM

27,798 posts, read 24,893,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Well.... its happened again. Another friend (#3) of mine has lost the life battle at a VA hospital (Wadepark). Gone in there with an open wound on his back side 4 years ago, in and out of there since then and thursday he died in there.

Even though I'm a disabled vet, I'll never allow those butchers to work on me, outside handing me my meds. I'll find a way to make them pay for a real doctor at a real hospital to do the work.
Because we all know that no one ever dies in "real" hospitals, do they?

Old 05-28-2013, 09:39 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,892,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Well.... its happened again. Another friend (#3) of mine has lost the life battle at a VA hospital (Wadepark). Gone in there with an open wound on his back side 4 years ago, in and out of there since then and thursday he died in there.

Even though I'm a disabled vet, I'll never allow those butchers to work on me, outside handing me my meds. I'll find a way to make them pay for a real doctor at a real hospital to do the work.
The VA Hospital in Milwaukee offers pretty good medical care. They had doctors cut a bullet out of my back. And they did good. The actual doctors were medical doctors from the Medical College of Wisconsin. There are doctors at major hospitals in Milwaukee that also work at the VA Hospital too.

But like at all hospitals patients can die in VA Hospitals too, from incidents like acquiring an infection, and sometimes those infections are drug resistant pathogens.

We must remember a lot of sick people are in hospitals and bacteria and viruses can spread easily. People with wounds or compromised immune systems can be at greater risk.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:54 AM

9,599 posts, read 17,719,404 times
I go to the va hospital in loma linda, ca & the service i have received over the yrs has been great.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:21 AM

27,798 posts, read 24,893,712 times
My brother received outstanding care from the Salt Lake City, UT VA. Guess the reputation that VA hospitals have goes back to Hollywood movies.

Born on the Fourth of July (2/9) Movie CLIP - Treated Like a Human Being (1989) HD - YouTube

Old 05-29-2013, 09:10 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,892,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
My brother received outstanding care from the Salt Lake City, UT VA. Guess the reputation that VA hospitals have goes back to Hollywood movies.

Born on the Fourth of July (2/9) Movie CLIP - Treated Like a Human Being (1989) HD - YouTube
Well, I've encountered employees at the VA Hospital in Milwaukee that were not doctors or pharmacists that had an attitude like EarthBound experienced and expressed in this complaint:

Quote:
...and most of the [staff] act like you own them something for some reason.

But from my experience, and I would say countless other vets that utilize the Milwaukee VA, most the employees of the VA do not speak to you or carry that attitude and body language. Most are professional, do their job, assist, and collect their pay check. In fact, the VA employees a number of veterans now.

However, you occasionally run into some employees like that. I have any ways, which strikes me as ironic, given that if they thought about it, the reason they have a job in that mammoth institution and bureaucracy is because there are veterans the government is willing and presently committed--through contractual obligation or otherwise--to providing a slew of services to including medical care. In other words, the government is paying them. And luckily for them maybe, because at private institutions you'd be more quickly terminated from employment speaking to customers in some of the ways they do, or lollygagging in some of the ways they do.

The VA is a large bueracracy. And like any large bueracracy it can move slow at times or get congested with paper work and cases. That is to be expected. It's frustrating but it's not necessarily the employees fault. Plus, we vets are fortunate to have that large bureaucracy rather than nothing at all.

With my experience with the Milwaukee VA I would rate certain areas or services within the Hospital an A. There are other areas I would give a lower grade too. While I appreciated the psychiatrists and social worker I saw at the VA--they were great actually, and more especially very good people--I think the mental health unit of the VA could use some improvements in policy.

But you are right, people often get their impressions of the VA Hospital from Hollywood movies. The VA did have a lot of problems decades ago when it was treating returning Vietnam vets. And every generation of vets now can thank with gratitude the Vietnam vets that fought Washington for improvements in the VA. Some of those Vietnam vets still stand as skeptical sentinels keeping an eye on the VA. They have never stood down and left their watch.

No generation of veterans that I'm aware of, have been treated as so poorly by the U.S. Government as the veterans of WWI and Vietnam War. And arguably the Civil War veterans were abandoned until the creation of Soldiers Home in Milwaukee which became the model and blue print for not only the Milwaukee VA (which is on the grounds were it stood: Building #1) but for all the VA's throughout the country. And it was a group of Milwaukee women tired of seeing all the Union Civil War veterans laying in the streets homeless that took up a fund raising collection to build a home for them. The photos of these veterans still grace the halls of the Milwaukee VA.

But I want to say a word on nursing and doctoring. For us lay people it seems easy to put these people down. After all, the United States has a strong culture of denigrating higher education. However, if one were to enroll in the sciences of a university, I think it would give them a much greater appreciation for what nurses and doctors have gone through to obtain their degrees. It is no easy task, and it often only gets more difficult as you go up each course level: 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 level course work. If one thinks boot-camp is hard on the brain, try going through 100 level chemistry and physics and then knowing that's the tip of the iceberg because you still have 200 and 300 level courses to go through. Medical school in particular is daunting. Anyone that can pass through medical school--I don't care if it is Cuba or Pakistan--is no dummy. They have earned their stripes like any Navy SEAL.

But practicing medicine is not a perfect science. It's been described as applied science and in my opinion that is a good definition of it. Ergo, you have physician scientists which are medical doctors with Ph.D.'s in some branch of natural science. Often they teach and/or conduct research.

The OP's details on his comrade and friend's death does not give enough detail. Actually, the little detail it gives almost sounds to me the doctors and surgeons can't be accused of incompetency. I'm neither a doctor or scientist, but it seems to me the span of his length of life since his first surgery to death, suggests at least until his last admittance into the hospital he received adequate care. Something like the "Superbug" (which may have killed him) works pretty fast. Once it infects you and spreads you're not living 3 years. You might not last several days.

There are some medical and nursing professionals that act incompetently in one or more instances of course. But that may not have been the case here. I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues