U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 07:42 PM

226 posts, read 190,475 times

Advertisements

The veterans hospital where I live does great work.

Last edited by Mr. Jim Robinson; 05-29-2013 at 09:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 07:46 PM

226 posts, read 190,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Something like the "Superbug" (which may have killed him) works pretty fast. Once it infects you and spreads you're not living 3 years. You might not last several days.
A staff infection in a elderly vet is very dangerous. Blood poison caused by them is very fatal.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:09 PM

8,271 posts, read 10,510,884 times
I posted this before, but still true:

There is a great deal of variation in VA services by location.

Some hospitals are affiliated with medical schools and are excellent. Some have higher levels of population to tend to, which means overcrowding and staff is spread thinner and care is compromised. Some have high levels of homeless patients which tend to be sicker or more needy and occupy a disproportionate number of beds. Some are in cities that have other public and private hospitals to share resources, staff, and knowledge, while some are the only hospital around for hundreds of miles. Some have a high proportion of foreign doctors, and although some are good, there is increased potential for misunderstanding due to customs or language. Some have a minimal pool of nurses by area. Some are in sought-out areas and attract staff, while those basically in the middle of nowhere tend to lose staff to transfer.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:58 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,486,361 times
I am considering South Carolina for retirement. I am wondering if anyone out there has any opinion on the VA hospitals in the vacinity of Charleston or Columbia and one other location Charlotte NC. I have plans to be moving to that area and I will be a retired service member and veteran. I have about 4 more years left so my planning is in its middle stages. It probably will not make the whole decision for me but it might tip the scale to north or east of Coumbia. I know Charleston has an AFB but the community I am looking at doesnt have a golf course on it so even a small thing could tip the balance.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:17 PM

27,798 posts, read 24,859,410 times
If you're going to be a 20-yr+ retiree, won't you fall under Tricare Prime/Tricare For Life instead of VA care?

Old 06-04-2013, 06:20 PM

6,680 posts, read 11,896,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
I posted this before, but still true:

There is a great deal of variation in VA services by location.

Some hospitals are affiliated with medical schools and are excellent. Some have higher levels of population to tend to, which means overcrowding and staff is spread thinner and care is compromised. Some have high levels of homeless patients which tend to be sicker or more needy and occupy a disproportionate number of beds. Some are in cities that have other public and private hospitals to share resources, staff, and knowledge, while some are the only hospital around for hundreds of miles. Some have a high proportion of foreign doctors, and although some are good, there is increased potential for misunderstanding due to customs or language. Some have a minimal pool of nurses by area. Some are in sought-out areas and attract staff, while those basically in the middle of nowhere tend to lose staff to transfer.

I completely agree with this description. The care and quality of care does vary from region to region. Some VA's are much more overwhelmed with patients than others.

Phoenix is a perfect example of how overcrowding in a region causes problems at VA's Phoenix has a huge retiree population and is a massive Metro area. Yet only has one VA hospital and multiple clinics. Many vets are denied care or only allowed a once a year appt, due to lack of staff to treat them. The patient population is just way to large for the amount of staff and facilities to handle. As far as I'm concerned its a disgrace this hasn't been addressed and fixed in Phoenix.

Portland, Oregon. Large homeless population for the size of this city, and it is very apparent when seeking treatment at that facility. It can and will have an effect on treatment in Portland. Especially for a NSC vet.

Your best bet for seeking care at a VA is live within range of one's that don't' completely fit what I just mentioned. The areas with large retiree populations have problems. Its not as bad if one is SC (they get some type of priority) but for the NSC vet seeking treatment. It can and will be a problem getting timely appts in these type areas.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:33 PM

5,473 posts, read 8,162,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
If you're going to be a 20-yr+ retiree, won't you fall under Tricare Prime/Tricare For Life instead of VA care?
An overly simple explanation is that each (Tricare and VA) have 'gaps' that, by stringing them together, and jumping through the hoops, you can get treated. (After a fashion)

Another consideration, is if you have service connected injuries (Like I do) Tricare makes you go through Dr's to see Dr's... each with their own co-pay...

Which can add up.

I have spent 1/2 my pension on copays in this manner more than a few times.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:29 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,486,361 times
Quote:
On that I am not 100% sure. I am a reservist/army national guard. I will have 10 years of active and 30 years of guard time. It equates to points and I do not know how that transfers over to medical in retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
An overly simple explanation is that each (Tricare and VA) have 'gaps' that, by stringing them together, and jumping through the hoops, you can get treated. (After a fashion)

Another consideration, is if you have service connected injuries (Like I do) Tricare makes you go through Dr's to see Dr's... each with their own co-pay...

Which can add up.

I have spent 1/2 my pension on copays in this manner more than a few times.
I expect that you have some of the solution there. I will have the option of carrying over my fedblue from work. I think I will need that for the wife. I have 4 years left to go before I am retired so I am just really scouting around. In July I am going to look around SC for a week. I know that wherever we end up we will find good friends and enjoy it. Home for us is where the other is.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:22 AM

4,159 posts, read 4,193,081 times
The problem with the VA is they treat people that served in the military but are asking for medical treatment for non-service related medical problems. That should change and the VA should only treat people that served and have service related medical problems.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:45 AM

24,130 posts, read 38,871,775 times
Quote:
It is possible to get some services from both. There is even some sharing of some services between active duty and retires and VA Services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues