Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It is possible to get some services from both. There is even some sharing of some services between active duty and retires and VA Services.
okay - I'd think that if you had Prime, you'd select that first. But I guess if you have a service related disability and were given VA benefits, you'd use them.......

I was a nursing student decades ago, I did rotations in VA hospitals and it was an eye-opener to see all the patients they had in there with very little military service (months, sometimes) - and they never saw any combat operations, never even left the country. But the VA still took them in.

You'd think the VA would do a better job in filtering who should receive care, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 09:43 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
It is possible to get some services from both. There is even some sharing of some services between active duty and retires and VA Services.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
okay - I'd think that if you had Prime, you'd select that first.
No, not necessarily. Not a big issue, but I had been getting my flu shots at the VA for over five years. Faster. More convenient. Cheaper (Free)... Also some military hospitals share services with local VA. My wife got X-Rays at the local VA. Some active duty military get blood work at the local VA.

Quote:
But I guess if you have a service related disability and were given VA benefits, you'd use them.......
Had nothing to do with a service related disability

Quote:
and they never saw any combat operations, never even left the country. But the VA still took them in. You'd think the VA would do a better job in filtering who should receive care, imo.
They do filter. If you are entitled then you can get in line to get the VA benift. Has nothing to do with "never saw any combat operations, never even left the country."

Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
No one here has obviously needed specialty care offered only by the VA. Tri Care does not have blind rehabilitation, unique to the VA for blind veterans. Or comprehensive spinal care rehabilitation, or traumatic brain injury rehabilitation.

Those services make a difference for the veterans who need them.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:32 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
No one here has obviously needed specialty care offered only by the VA. Tri Care does not have blind rehabilitation, unique to the VA for blind veterans. Or comprehensive spinal care rehabilitation, or traumatic brain injury rehabilitation.

Those services make a difference for the veterans who need them.
If you have, and wouldn't mind, please send me a DM about this please....

I'm staring down it's face...

Old 06-06-2013, 12:09 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
As a retiree, I know that I can go to either a civilian medical facility [using Tricare], or the VA hospital. I choose to use the civilian Health Care option.

I know a lot of local vets who rely on the VA. From them I hear their stories of dealing with the VA. I prefer to not place my burden on the VA. The VA often appears to be over-burdened.

We have surplus Medical Facilities in this area, with a wide selection of doctors. Anytime that I or my wife find that we do not like a doctor, it is very easy for us to change to different doctors.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:45 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Default From the VA website

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
The problem with the VA is they treat people that served in the military but are asking for medical treatment for non-service related medical problems. That should change and the VA should only treat people that served and have service related medical problems.
Years ago the VA accepted just about everybody. But the latest 12 year war has a flood of new people coming into the system so the VA has ALREADY limited who can access their health care -- and for what it can be accessed.

From the VA website:

Question #2:

Do You Qualify For VA Health Care?

2. Are any of these statements true?
  • You were discharged or separated for medical reasons, early out, or hardship
  • You served in theater of combat operations within the past 5 years
  • You were discharged from the military because of a disability (not preexisting)
  • You are a former Prisoner of War
  • You received a Purple Heart Medal
  • You receive VA pension or disability benefits
  • You receive state Medicaid benefits
Yes No
Answer no and you get this:
Do You Qualify For VA Health Care?

Based on the information you provided, your eligibility for VA health care benefits may be based on special factors such as service in Vietnam, other military history factors or even household income. We encourage you to a apply now for VA health care benefits.
Submitting an application is the best way to find out if you qualify. Plus, if in the future new regulations take effect, VA will automatically reassess your application to determine if you qualify. If we have your application on file, we will be able to notify you if new rules make you qualified for health benefits in the future.
Have questions? Call 1-877-222-VETS (8387)

Government website, no copyright.

Not everyone who served in the armed forces is necessarily eligible.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:56 PM

Default Overall the VA is about the best health care in America

Quote:
How does the VA measure up against other U.S. health care providers? To address this question, RAND researchers compared the medical records of VA patients with a national sample and evaluated how effectively health care is delivered to each group. Their findings:
  • VA patients received about two-thirds of the care recommended by national standards, compared with about half in the national sample.
  • Among chronic care patients, VA patients received about 70 percent of recommended care, compared with about 60 percent in the national sample.
  • For preventive care, the difference was greater: VA patients received about 65 percent of recommended care, while patients in the national sample received 20 percent less.
  • VA patients received consistently better care across the board, including screening, diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up.
  • Quality of care for acute conditions — a performance area the VA did not measure — was similar for the two populations.
  • The greatest differences between the VA and the national sample were for indicators where the VA was actively measuring performance and for indicators related to those on which performance was measured.
Improving Quality of Care: How the VA Outpaces Other Systems in Delivering Patient Care | RAND

Quote:
Some other health systems also provide excellent patient care, and every place has it weaknesses, but the VA generally stands out on quality, said Elizabeth McGlynn, associate director of Rand Health, a division of the Rand Corp., in Santa Monica, Calif.

"You're much better off in the VA than in a lot of the rest of the U.S. health-care system," she said. "You've got a fighting chance there's going to be some organized, thoughtful, evidence-based response to dealing effectively with the health problem that somebody brings to them."

The combination of its information system and support tools, routine performance reporting and financial incentives for managers who hit quality targets gives it an edge, said McGlynn, who co-authored a comparative study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine in 2004 that found the VA outperformed its community health-care counterparts by 20 percentage points in preventive care. It also performed significantly better on chronic disease care and in overall quality.
It's hard to top veterans' health care - Vital Signs - MarketWatch

And finally this. What other hospital organization in the entire United States reports its results to the public? The answer is---NONE. Only the VA does. Which is another reason their health care results overall are superior to any private operation.

Quote:
The 2012 report includes quality and safety data and information related to the care provided in outpatient and inpatient settings, the staffing of each VA health care facility, the quality of inpatient and outpatient health care provided to all Veterans and to certain patient populations, the health care center accreditation status, patient satisfaction and selected patient outcomes for Fiscal Year (FY) 2011. The data tables included with the report are referenced below. The data tables are updated annually and reference information from FY 2011 only.
Hospital Report Card 2012 - Veterans Health Administration

Old 06-06-2013, 02:53 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,110 times
^ and that's if you even get in! My husband has been trying for years but they make you just though so many hoops that a man working a full time job cannot make all the appointments required JUST to get in the system before you even see a care provider. VA hospital system is a JOKE!

Old 06-06-2013, 03:18 PM

Default Not a joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
^ and that's if you even get in! My husband has been trying for years but they make you just though so many hoops that a man working a full time job cannot make all the appointments required JUST to get in the system before you even see a care provider. VA hospital system is a JOKE!
Since it turned good, EVERYBODY wants in. But funding has been limited by Congress even though it is patient by patient, the least expensive health care in America.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:51 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
I have found the VA medical services in Oregon to be outstanding, I've been treated by the VA healthcare system since 1997 and have no complaints. Granted it does take awhile to get an appointment, unless your condition is life threating then you'll be seen right away. The small clinic that my PP is at sees on the average of 3000 veterans a day, on the other hand the VA hospital in Portland sees on the average 300,000 veterans a year. That's one hell of a work load for any hospital. You can see why it takes awhile to get into the VA medical system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues