Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 09:25 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times

Advertisements

As a few of you who've seen my posts on here may know i've been in the British Army for quite a while now and i've got one tour of Afghanistan left before i retire in 2014/15.

I've got 3 children with the youngest of them being 13 and articles like this scare the hell out of me more than being 'out there'.

I'm glad that organisations such as "Scotty's Little Soldiers" exist but the lack of long term from the Government is something that i feel needs to be sorted.

I hope the situation in the US is better.

Anyway, here's a link, the title says it all.

The cost of war for British military children - Channel 4 News

Baldrick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 01:57 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,254 times
A lot of children have been affected by 10+ years of combat deployments--particularly those that have lost a parent. There are a lot of programs designed for our children but honestly, I don't know what's out there beyond the military communities for kids who have lost a parent.

I have two tours in Afghanistan, both up in the east. I don't miss the place, that's for sure.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:20 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I believe that all children who lose a parent need help and attention; and should not be forgotten.

I have not looked at the statistics for a while. Beginning with the end of WWII, US military losses run higher during 'peacetime' than they do during conflicts. Training missions suffer much higher casualties then missions under enemy fire.

All of those servicemembers agreed to defend their nation. All dead servicemembers are just as dead, regardless of whether their death was caused by enemy fire, or by inattention.

All children who suffer the loss of a parent, and in similar straights and should be treated as such.

I do not think that we have any such organization focusing on helping military children. Once the servicemember is dead the US military pretty much washes it's hands of the matter.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:38 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Soldiers die in War. That seems to go with the Territory. Whole towns lost every military age male in the First Day on the Somme. I don't understand the point.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:33 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

I do not think that we have any such organization focusing on helping military children. Once the servicemember is dead the US military pretty much washes it's hands of the matter.
The Army has been guilty of that but has recently taken steps to ensure those families are continued to be taken care of.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:22 PM

809 posts, read 2,187,211 times
I haven't read here long. In fact, it was only when my nephew was severely injured in Afghanistan last Sunday, I posted.

All of this saddens me beyond words but I want to thank you, Baldrick and ArtyGuy for the kindness and support you gave me when I needed it most.

I've no answers to help except to pray and let y'all know you are in my thoughts. You held me up, gave me enough strength and courage to get through these last several days.

Thank you so much. So very, very much.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:54 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Soldiers die in War. That seems to go with the Territory. Whole towns lost every military age male in the First Day on the Somme. I don't understand the point.
Large draftee armies made up of younger men have fewer family considerations then today's all volunter force of professionals. Today's military force comes with a much longer tail of dependent family members.

Given that the current wars are passing their 10 year anniversary and 1% of our population is doing 100% of the fighting while the other 99% are too busy with American Idol and the Kardashians, that puts a small population under alot of stress. Thoughtful consideration of how to help the children of our warfighters should not be too much to ask.

Unfortunately I think the burden of this one will fall where they all seem to fall - back on the men & women of the military. Apparently the rest of society is too busy to care.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:35 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Large draftee armies made up of younger men have fewer family considerations then today's all volunter force of professionals. Today's military force comes with a much longer tail of dependent family members.

Given that the current wars are passing their 10 year anniversary and 1% of our population is doing 100% of the fighting while the other 99% are too busy with American Idol and the Kardashians, that puts a small population under alot of stress. Thoughtful consideration of how to help the children of our warfighters should not be too much to ask.

Unfortunately I think the burden of this one will fall where they all seem to fall - back on the men & women of the military. Apparently the rest of society is too busy to care.
That's more like .5% of the population. Not bringing back conscription after 9/11 was a big mistake.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:13 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post

But the care of widows and orphans is the responsibility of the Government not the military. That is why discharged veterans and their families are cared for by the Veterans Administration not the particular branch of service.

Even Retirees cease being wards of their service once they are 65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues